[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mike Anderson to Arkansas  (Read 12112 times)

AlumKCof93

• All American
Mike Anderson to Arkansas
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »
CBSsports is reporting that Mizzou's Anderson took the Arkansas job. 
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Mike Anderson to Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:12:40 PM »
Buzz to Missouri?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »
Makes sense.  He was an assistant for 17 years and it is a homecoming for him.  

Next Gillispie to Texas Tech.  

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 10:18:10 PM »
I had read that much of the alumni were put off by Anderson since he was loyal to Nolan Richardson after everything that went on there.  Oh well, one down and two to go.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:21:13 PM »
Buzz to Missouri?
+1. Can't wait for the threads to start

No teal needed I hope

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 10:31:46 PM »
Buzz to Marquette?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 11:32:44 PM »
HAHAHA! All that worrying for nothing! Glad to have ya Buzz. For those of you that haven't seen Buzz's press conference from today, you have to watch it.

Link: http://suathletics.syr.edu/index.aspx?path=mbasket

On the left side, scroll down a bit and there is a video link for Buzz's press conference. It is totally worth the 20 minutes or so. Incredibly entertaining.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 11:34:34 PM »
I just don't see any way Buzz goes to Mizzou or Tenn.  Oklahoma still makes me nervous, but if he doesn't go there, I think we can sit back and relax for a few years.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
Buzz to Missouri?

what then??  bring back rick majerus hooked up to a pulsoximeter flanked by two cardiologists and a golf cart ready to take him out to the waiting helicopter after his first big east overtime game.  angelos closed right?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 06:34:38 AM »
Buzz isn't going to Missouri.  Oklahoma maybe.  But Missouri is kind of a crappy gig and I don't think he wants to deal with Tennessee's issues.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 08:15:40 AM »
I think Arkansas was a bigger threat than Oklahoma...all that said, based on some of the comments Buzz has made since the Xavier game have me believing he isn't going anywhere for a very long time.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »
Day 1076 on the job he never deserved.  It's hard for him to be much more direct than that.  And when Steve hands him his next contract, he'll say "Thank you sir' and get right back to work.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 08:59:07 AM »
Buzz isn't going to Missouri.  Oklahoma maybe.  But Missouri is kind of a crappy gig and I don't think he wants to deal with Tennessee's issues.

Not to mention a reunion with the Maymon clan.

Agree that Oklahoma is the only real concern at this point. And I would hope that Buzz sees that, besides a location closer to home, Oklahoma doesn't really offer anything better than what he's got at Marquette.

MakeItRain11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 09:07:42 AM »
Not to mention a reunion with the Maymon clan.

Agree that Oklahoma is the only real concern at this point. And I would hope that Buzz sees that, besides a location closer to home, Oklahoma doesn't really offer anything better than what he's got at Marquette.

I agree. Also, I do not think that being closer to home would be a legit reason either.  I am not Buzz so I cannot speak on his values, beliefs, etc....but people move away from home all the time! Am I missing something here?  I grew up in Chicago and now live in DC.  If I ever wanted to go back home, which I do frequently for holidays, etc... I know it is only a 2 hour flight away....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 09:10:34 AM »
Does Buzz want to go to a program in worse shape than the one he took over 3 years ago with possible NCAA sanctions on the horizon?    If so, why?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »
It's as simple as does Buzz want to stay Marquette in Milwaukee or do he and possibly his family want a job closer to his roots at the University of Oklahoma.

I think the money thing and the campus situation is often overblown and it all comes down to whether or not a coach and family is happy where they are living and possibly whether they can achieve what they want to achieve where they are at in life and I'm not sure what to say about that.

Will his relationship with his current players, recruits and Marquette staff members play into this and keep him at Marquette or is this the time for him to move on?  Don't know.  

Kevin O'Niell and Tom Crean thought it was their time to leave and Buzz will be the only one who can make that decision and it's a tough decision that not only affects him and his family, it affects 3 full time assistants and 2 other staff members and their families.  It affects a graduate assistant.  It affects 8 returning players, 2 signed recruits, a 2011 verbal and a 2012 verbal.  

Tough decision and in the end I want Buzz to be here only if he wants to be here.    
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 09:46:21 AM »
As a St. Louisan, I think the general sense among Mizzou alum and supporters is that most don't care if Anderson leaves.  I think they're going to regret it...but.  Just a tough place to recruit top 100 bball athletes.  Buzz doesn't fit at Mizzou.  He'll go to Oklahoma. 

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 09:48:15 AM »
It's as simple as does Buzz want to stay Marquette in Milwaukee or do he and possibly his family want a job closer to his roots at the University of Oklahoma.

I think the money thing and the campus situation is often overblown and it all comes down to whether or not a coach and family is happy where they are living and possibly whether they can achieve what they want to achieve where they are at in life and I'm not sure what to say about that.

Will his relationship with his current players, recruits and Marquette staff members play into this and keep him at Marquette or is this the time for him to move on?  Don't know.  

Kevin O'Niell and Tom Crean thought it was their time to leave and Buzz will be the only one who can make that decision and it's a tough decision that not only affects him and his family, it affects 3 full time assistants and 2 other staff members and their families.  It affects a graduate assistant.  It affects 8 returning players, 2 signed recruits, a 2011 verbal and a 2012 verbal.  

Tough decision and in the end I want Buzz to be here only if he wants to be here.    

Agree completely.  Good comments.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 10:46:36 AM »
Confirmed Gillespie to tech

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »
OU is moving slowly on this hire it seems.  They probably do really want Buzz.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »
Well put TB.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 03:38:38 PM »
As a St. Louisan, I think the general sense among Mizzou alum and supporters is that most don't care if Anderson leaves.  I think they're going to regret it...but.  Just a tough place to recruit top 100 bball athletes.  Buzz doesn't fit at Mizzou.  He'll go to Oklahoma. 

I believe the knowledgeable hoops fans want him to stay.  I also believe most of the general masses want him to stay as well.  I do believe there is a smaller component of indifferent fans and I do believe there is an even smaller, but still existing component of racist fans that won't accept a black man as head coach.  Anderson is in fact the first ever black coach in any sport at Mizzou.  Racism still exists in America.

I also believe Anderson is using the Media to achieve a salary bump and has no intentions of going to Arkansas. 

I do believe this time around or next time around, that Cuonzo Martin will jump for a similar type of opportunity at an Arkansas or OU. 

I also disagree about Mizzou being a tough place to recruit top 100 caliber players.  Anderson has done just that, Snyder even did it as well as Norm Stewart.  Tony Mitchell didn't qualify but he was a top ten National recruit this past season for Mizzou for example.  Great facilities, money, resources, fan base is solid.  Mizzou has many "local" players from the state, just not St. Louis right now.  Otto Porter would be another if they land him.  Mizzou is a state school, not just a St. Louis school.

Mizzou's biggest challenge is that it will often times be in KU's shadow unless Mizzou can become a top ten National team on a regular basis.  That's asking a lot.  Anderson has done well at Mizzou but he hasn't reached those levels yet.

Buzz wouldn't be interested in Mizzou now in terms of a place from which to leave Marquette, but Mizzou would most definitely be interested in him, his style and personality etc...if Buzz were coaching at a lower level right now, hypothetically, ...mid-major, etc...he'd be very interested in Mizzou.     

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 09:17:53 PM »
III also disagree about Mizzou being a tough place to recruit top 100 caliber players.  Anderson has done just that, Snyder even did it as well as Norm Stewart.  Tony Mitchell didn't qualify but he was a top ten National recruit this past season for Mizzou for example.  Great facilities, money, resources, fan base is solid.  Mizzou has many "local" players from the state, just not St. Louis right now.  Otto Porter would be another if they land him.  Mizzou is a state school, not just a St. Louis school.

We agree on some things but not the recruiting.  Your fail to mention anyone who came.  It's a tough place to recruit, especially black players. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 09:19:42 PM »
Someone posted on Rosiak's blog that Anderson to Ark fell through. 

Can anyone confirm?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 10:12:14 PM »
Players:

Under Anderson...top 100, Denmon, Dixon, both from nearby KC.  Carroll transfered in from Vandy.  Pressey(not Matt his brother) was a 5 star recruit, top 100.  Non-local.    Lots and lots of in state black kids have been going to Mizzou under Anderson.  Steve Moore as well.  Otto Porter would be another.

Recruiting black kids to Mizzou is a non-issue.  Gary Pinkel has made big strides recruiting black St. Louis and other area in state football players too.  Your info seems dated...like a Norm Stewart Floyd Irons feud type info dated...that's a long time time ago as in decades.  A lot has changed.  From Ricky Frazier to Anthony Peeler to modern day, black talented in state kids that played there.  Ben McLemore another top level National recruit from St. Louis, will decide between Mizzou and KU.(Expected to be KU) on April 3rd.