[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I have just heard from a close friend who lives 1,600 miles from me  (Read 1917 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
He is a huge college basketball guy whose first comment to me was: “So how many more times will Marquette allow its coach to be eliminated in the opening round? I would think it’d be the final straw if it happens again next year.”

He, a reasonable person with a keen basketball mind, expressed deep concern with Dominic James and especially with Ousmane Barro.

He said James somehow manages to appear lost and cocky at the same time and has “much too much confidence in his badly flawed jump shot.”

Of Barro, my buddy simply asked: “Is he ‘really’ the guy on whom Marquette is relying to deliver it to the promised land? Ain’t gonna happen.”

These are but one man’s thoughts, but he is a man who really knows hoops and is normally slow to criticize.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:22:50 PM by MU Avenue »

Pakuni

• All American
Re: I have just heard from a close friend who lives 1,600 miles from me
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:48:53 PM »
I'd question the hoops knowledge of someone who suggests Marquette fans may be under the impression that Ousmane Barro would be " the guy on whom Marquette is relying to deliver it to the promised land."
That's something I've never heard and I find it hard to believe any Marquette fan has ever thought.

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: I have just heard from a close friend who lives 1,600 miles from me
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 11:03:43 PM »
Gotta agree about one thing.

James is not that great player right now. He's somewhat solid as a ball handler and a penetrator, but I'd take Cordell Henry on this team in a heartbeat. What mystifies me are situations where they actually had a camera following James into the BC for the game vs. Pitt like he was Michael Jordan! How is he that much of a star on this team that he warrants that kind of attention?? And before you say, "That's ESPN" you have to know that ESPN goes where MU tells them to go. Everything out of ESPN is coming directly from MU.

By the way, I think Crean was counting on James leaving after this season, which is why they were promoting him so much.

With Acker coming in and James back, we could have some problems next year, chemistry-wise.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Where have you been, Pakuni?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:01:53 AM »
   You have written: “I'd question the hoops knowledge of someone who suggests Marquette fans may be under the impression that Ousmane Barro would be ‘the guy on whom Marquette is relying to deliver it to the promised land.’
   "That's something I've never heard and I find it hard to believe any Marquette fan has ever thought.”

What? Have you been reading this site much?

In recent weeks, some have written here that they think Barro could be first team all-Big East next season, which would rank him among the best big men in the nation.

Based on your comment above, I assume you would agree that such applause for and overestimation of Barro are preposterous.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 07:06:07 AM by MU Avenue »

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Where have you been, Pakuni?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 07:43:55 AM »
   What? Have you been reading this site much?

In recent weeks, some have written here that they think Barro could be first team all-Big East next season, which would rank him among the best big men in the nation.

Based on your comment above, I assume you would agree that such applause for and overestimation of Barro are preposterous.

Actually, I can't say I've been reading the site that much, but never have I seen someone tout Barro as one who could "lead Marquette to the promised land." In fact, I've never seen him touted as an all-Big East guy, though I'm sure it might have happened.
That said, there's a HUGE difference between being all-BE and leading Marquette to the promised land. There were 11 kids from nine on the all-conference team this year. Do fans from all nine schools (including the likes of Providence, St. John's and West Virginia) believe their guy was leading them to the promised land? I doubt it.
Barro is a role player who's come along nicely, but slowly, and could be a contributor on a really good team next year. But any notion of him leading this program anywhere is silly.