[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Mayor's Thoughts on The Season  (Read 3389 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
The Mayor's Thoughts on The Season
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:13:38 PM »
Theme of the Year:  Rollercoaster
MVP:  Jerel McNeal
Most Improved Player of the Year:  Ousmane Barro
Frosh of the Year:  Lazar Hayward

Lets look at the Positives first:
 - We Finished 10-6 in a tough BE again this year
 - We Won the CBE Classic (and beat Duke, who was #8 at the time)
 - Our Big Three got National Recognition
 - We swept the Rgular Season with "clearly" the best team in the Big East in Pittsburgh, and without desperation, would have swept Slick Rick and Louisville
 - We Got College Gameday to come to the BC, a feat none-the-less, and won the game, more national recognition
 - We Made the NCAA Tournament
 - We Are Going to Hawai'i next year

Negatives:
 - James started season strong, ended awful
 - seemed to lose intensity as season went on, and lost what we did to win us games in the beginning of the year
 - One and Done in the NCAA Tournament
 - Only made Quarterfinals in BE Tournament
 - Although 10-6, finished 6th in Big East
 - Was embarrased on National TV (thanks to Izzo's bunch)

The way I see this season was a rollercoaster, after that win against Duke, I thought this team had a chance to go very very far, I was seeing elite eight, being a 3 seed out of this team.  That loss to Wisconsin killed a lot of that, it showed what we were weak in, but I still kept a positive mood thinking we just had a bad game.  I went to the Bahamas, and while out there in Bimini getting the sun rays, Marquette was being mopped in the Big East, losing their first two.  After that, greatness came as Marquette won 8 straight, and our team and coach looked brilliant, one game out of the lead in the Big East.  We had sports analysts saying we are final four capable, but what do they know.  Then an 18 point loss to Georgetown, by far the lowest point in BE play in my eyes.  Showed we were definitly not close to the best in the Big East.  Still had confidence though.  More losses came and we ended the year 10-6, just like last year.  Going to the BE tournament, figured the St. Johns win, but I really wanted the Pitt win, that wasn't happening, outmatched, and seemed like we brought that attitude to the NCAA.  No McNeal, No Win, even with McNeal, I don't know if we would have won that game (I would say so just to make myself feel better)...

now people on here are calling for Crean's head, I don't agree, he was just outplayed by his mentor, however Crean has outplayed some of the games best... Knight, Coach K, Calhoun, Pitino, Dixon(twice)... give him until the big three are gone, if nothing has changed, then its time to let him go... he created this team, and this team has the potential to go far, don't drop their coach.

Grades:

Dom James: C+
Jerel McNeal: B+
Wes Matthews: B-
Lazar Hayward: B
Dan Fitzgerald: B+
Ousmane Barro: B
David Cubillan: B-
Kinsella, Lott, Burke: I(Incomplete)

good season, a lot of fun, sad to see it end like this... next year will be a glorious year, I feel it.  It will start with wins in Hawai'i, beating Bucky in the Kohl Center, and a BE title... one can hope :)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: The Mayor's Thoughts on The Season
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:16:30 PM »

We should hang a banner in the Bradley Center claiming as much.

PS: Duke was atrocious this year, making that banner look more and more embarrassing.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »

We should hang a banner in the Bradley Center claiming as much.

PS: Duke was atrocious this year, making that banner look more and more embarrassing.

yeah, we should be ashamed of beating Duke...the smart thing would've been to refuse to play the game...we should not even acknowledge being in the same building as Duke this year.

We should not celebrate our team's successes unless they are national championships, right?

Gimme a frickin break.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 09:34:09 PM »
yeah, we should be ashamed of beating Duke...the smart thing would've been to refuse to play the game...we should not even acknowledge being in the same building as Duke this year.

We should not celebrate our team's successes unless they are national championships, right?

Gimme a frickin break.

I am so sick of people like you who know NOTHING about Marquette basketball. Do you have any idea what a proud history Marquette has!? Apparently not.

Hanging a banner for that tournament is one thing...though I don't agree with it. Hanging it with a list of victims purely to hold Duke's scalp from the rafters is an embarrassment and makes us look small time.

Duke was NOTHING until Coach K got there!! Why should we be so proud to put their name in our rafters? Because Dick Vitale says they're a good program?

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 09:43:05 PM »

Gimme a frickin break.

I am so sick of people like you who know NOTHING about Marquette basketball. Do you have any idea what a proud history Marquette has!? Apparently not.

Hanging a banner for that tournament is one thing...though I don't agree with it. Hanging it with a list of victims purely to hold Duke's scalp from the rafters is an embarrassment and makes us look small time.

Duke was NOTHING until Coach K got there!! Why should we be so proud to put their name in our rafters? Because Dick Vitale says they're a good program?

well, when I wrote this post, I didnt mention hanging a banner for those achievements, just writing the positives of this team, and I know that Marquette has a proud history, so we can't celebrate pre-season tournament championships on their forum board, Im sorry.  And Duke is a good program, because last time I checked, Coach K is there, they still are a top 25 team, and they have the number 1 recruiting class coming in next year, not because Dickie V says so. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 09:58:24 PM »

Gimme a frickin break.

Nothing?  You obviously know nothing about Duke basketball.  They went to 4 Final Fours before Coach K got there.  They had more All-American's before Coach K got there than MU has had in it's history.  They had multiple National Players of the Year before Coach K got there, they had National Coach of the year winners before Coach K.  They were one of the most successful teams in both the Southern and ACC conferences before Coach K.

They were one of the premier programs in the country before Coach K set foot on campus, he just took it to another level.  To say Duke was nothing before Coach K is just uninformed.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:05:19 PM »

Grades:

C+???????

Leading scorer, 1st in assists, 2nd in steas, 2-1 A?TO ratio, 1st Team BE, 2nd best defender on the team...He struggles with his shot and he gets a C+ while nobosy else gets lower than a B-? What on earth did Jerel McNeal and Dan Fitzgerald do to deserve a full letter grade higher?

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 10:08:19 PM »

Grades:

Dom James: C+ like NRJ said, he should atleast get a B.  Same with Matthews.  Most consistent and best at the chairty line.
Brice and Kuphall?!?   ;D

Great wrap-up of the season, Mayor.  The only thing I would change is the FOY.  I know Lazar had a great game against 'Nova, and with today being the exception, he has gotten more aggressive.  My FOY, however, would have to be the Blazin' Venezuelan. 

Cubillan was the only one that came to play tonight, atleast for the first half.  I honestly could not bare to watch the second half, plus my connection was messing up.  He's our best three-point shooter, second to Kinsella  :P and he's a great defender.  I know some of the MUScoopers think otherwise, but he is SOLID.  Might not get as many steals as McNeal, but the kid is sticky.  I'd have preferred him on Neitzel instead of DJ.

I am very curious to see how our line-ups will look like next year.  I am hoping Lil Mo' makes up for his size with CRAZY skills.  I also hope Hazel and Saunders are not a couple more Blackledges.  I am excited to see Hot Shot Christoph and Mbakwe.  Like you said Mayor, I feel a very strong MU squad for 2007-2008.  Elite 8, at least, dammit.

Oh well...what's that timer say?  211 more days till Midnight Madness!

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 10:09:16 PM »

Grades:

C+???????

Leading scorer, 1st in assists, 2nd in steas, 2-1 A?TO ratio, 1st Team BE, 2nd best defender on the team...He struggles with his shot and he gets a C+ while nobosy else gets lower than a B-? What on earth did Jerel McNeal and Dan Fitzgerald do to deserve a full letter grade higher?

When I did the grades... I expected James to be the leader... he wasnt the leader that I envisoned... I hold him higher than others, since there was talk about him going to the NBA...he was dissapointing when we needed him the most, I had it as a B, but then changed to C+, thats better than some would give him on this board.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 10:12:12 PM »

Grades:

Dom James: C+ like NRJ said, he should atleast get a B.  Same with Matthews.  Most consistent and best at the chairty line.
Brice and Kuphall?!?   ;D

Great wrap-up of the season, Mayor.  The only thing I would change is the FOY.  I know Lazar had a great game against 'Nova, and with today being the exception, he has gotten more aggressive.  My FOY, however, would have to be the Blazin' Venezuelan. 

Cubillan was the only one that came to play tonight, atleast for the first half.  I honestly could not bare to watch the second half, plus my connection was messing up.  He's our best three-point shooter, second to Kinsella  :P and he's a great defender.  I know some of the MUScoopers think otherwise, but he is SOLID.  Might not get as many steals as McNeal, but the kid is sticky.  I'd have preferred him on Neitzel instead of DJ.

I am very curious to see how our line-ups will look like next year.  I am hoping Lil Mo' makes up for his size with CRAZY skills.  I also hope Hazel and Saunders are not a couple more Blackledges.  I am excited to see Hot Shot Christoph and Mbakwe.  Like you said Mayor, I feel a very strong MU squad for 2007-2008.  Elite 8, at least, dammit.

Oh well...what's that timer say?  211 more days till Midnight Madness!

I guess technically it could be co-FOY... however.. the reason why I gave him the nod is the need for him... we needed Lazar to step up and he did... trust me... I love me some Venezuelan (women AND Daveeed), however I just thought what Lazar brought was more needed... and yes... I loved Daveeed on Neitzel... if we can take one thing from this game.. we held Neitzel to 12 points.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 10:27:35 PM »
Ahh, I see.  No doubt, we are in greater need of a bigger boy in the 3-5.  With the guys coming in next year, we are definitely aptly equipped at the 1 and 2.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 10:53:03 PM »

Gimme a frickin break.

Nothing?  You obviously know nothing about Duke basketball.  They went to 4 Final Fours before Coach K got there.  They had more All-American's before Coach K got there than MU has had in it's history.  They had multiple National Players of the Year before Coach K got there, they had National Coach of the year winners before Coach K.  They were one of the most successful teams in both the Southern and ACC conferences before Coach K.

They were one of the premier programs in the country before Coach K set foot on campus, he just took it to another level.  To say Duke was nothing before Coach K is just uninformed.

Beat me to it.
Funny that soeone who preaches history and tradition would make such an outlandish and factually incorrect statement regarding Duke hoops. Duke was in the Finals just three years before Coach K got there.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 12:28:26 AM »

Gimme a frickin break.

between Al and Tom, name any extended time period where we have had great years to be proud about, the 90's?? gimme a break. We're getting back the greatness and respect we had in the 70's and I say until we're going to the Elite 8 and winning nat'l championships on a regular basis, we better aknowledge the accomplishments this team has. If we win the Maui invite i expect a banner for that to go up.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 12:38:11 AM »
Duke was "NOTHING" before Coach K got there?  Uhm, cough...sorry but you couldn't be more wrong.

Oh the other irony in that they lost tonight....despite having Coach K there.

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 12:44:36 AM »
Great summary Mayor. I agree with Hayward for FOY. Yes David hit some huge shots and played great defense like he did tonight, Hayward showed us how consistent he will be and that he is a smart player. I love his nose for the ball on the offensive boards and his strength that allowed him to get some amazing put backs throughout the year. It's been a great year, with its foreseen ups and downs. Hopefully everyone returns next year to make a deep run into the tournament.