Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Less blame, more analysis  (Read 2416 times)

classof70

• Team Captain
Less blame, more analysis
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:11:43 PM »
This was a disappointing loss and humiliating.  However, there's enough blame to go around for the coaching staff and players.  But blame doesn't get us anywhere.  I'd rather read some objective analysis of what people think are the fundamental problems.  Sure we need more talent, every one does. (See Duke tonight) Sure we need a big man, doesn't everyone?  But why did we fail so miserably over the last 10 to 12 games?

For me the analysis starts with the point guard and the game plan.  MU either has an overrated point guard who cannot run the offense or they have an point guard who isn't given an offense.  James dribbles on top too much, there isn't any movement, and MU doesn't seem to know how to attack the zone.  James just slows the offense down.  Did you watch MStates offense?  They at least had a clue.  I don't know what happened to James, but he's not the same player as last year.

PaintCrew93

• Walk-On
Re: Less blame, more analysis
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:15:35 PM »
I would agree, DJ seems lost sometimes, but early in the season he was driving and dishing (his strength) he needs to get better for MU to get better 

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:17:26 PM »
We are VERY weak inside, and I am not alluding to the obvious offensive deficiencies. Our defensive post play was by and far our biggest achilles heel. We have no bruiser who can wear on an opponent's big guy.

Who would've ever thought I would utter the words, "we could've used Grimm."

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 09:19:22 PM »
I would agree, DJ seems lost sometimes, but early in the season he was driving and dishing (his strength) he needs to get better for MU to get better 

its hard to keep dishing, when your forwards aren't catching the ball, not just Barro, but Hayward did too... I go back to Hayward missing that first pass to start the game, which would have been an easy layup, and MU would have been up 2-0, I wonder how that would have changed the game.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

greenman

• Starter
  • 4,000 MU Fans on WI. AVE after Kentucky in elite 8
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 09:20:40 PM »
MU got away from what gets them wins. Transition offense. there was no running up and down the floor which is usually what gets us points. even if there isnt a bucket theres the chance of getting to the line.

the problem with no transition game stems from no defense. too many easy layups/backdoor cuts in the first 5 min for MSU.

james still doesnt understand that ooze cannot run a pick and roll from the wing. he does not have the hands to catch a no look pass on the roll toward the basket (three times james threw the ball right by him).

and now for a little blame. horrible touch fouls called by the refs. no mcneal really hurt us this game. crean needs to figure out his late season meltdowns.
"I don't give a damn if he can't do nothing else. He can shoot, and I love the way he shoots. I don't care if he can't dribble, can't rebound, can't play defense... that kid can shoot the ball." - Tracy McGrady on Steve Novak

PaintCrew93

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 09:22:55 PM »
Your'e right - I can't count how many passes were given to oose and others in a great place and they just dropped it

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 09:36:16 PM »
MU got away from what gets them wins. Transition offense. there was no running up and down the floor which is usually what gets us points. even if there isnt a bucket theres the chance of getting to the line.

This was a huge part of it, I'm glad you touched on it.  I can't remember any times that Marquette looked to 'push' the ball.  They played EXACTLY into that MSU/Big 10 'general' style of play, a slower, 'grind it out' type game with teams running their offensive sets.  From the very beginning of the year, I thought that if Marquette was going to be successful, they'd have to try and 'out-athletic' their opponents, ie a fast tempo, pushing the ball up the floor and playing pressure -- even over-aggressive, if need be -- defense.

There wasn't any of that tonight.  James was content walking the ball up the floor and getting into their 'sets' (as a quick rant, there were no sets.  James would dribble, some screens would be set, and in the end, they'd back the ball out to half court and get a bad shot as the shot clock winded down).

James is at his best when he's running, going at full speed, pushing the ball down the court.  There was none of that tonight.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 09:45:29 PM »
it seemed like we wanted to beat them at their game, very confusing...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 09:55:28 PM »
When your opponet is shooting 60+% with 10 minutes left in the game and you aren't creating any turnovers, you have no shot at transition baskets. The sad part about this one is that MSU didn't really look very good. They shot better than 50% from the field and scored what, 60 points? They were completely out of synch for a huge stretch in teh 2nd half and we simply were not able to take advantage.

I'll watch the game again, but from where I was sitting MU's preparation/gameplan was all wrong. It looked to me like they didn't look at all beyond Neitzel in terms of a defesnive plan. DJ played a good game defensively and I think showed he could handle Nietzel. Why we were continually running additional guys at him on the perimeter I have no idea. The result was consistent layups by guys all alone under the basket. When you are talking about guys like Lott, Burke, Fitz, Barro...we simply did not have the speed or quickness to do it. I'd rather take my chances letting DJ (and even Cubillan) chase him around and tip your hat if he beats you, but we made it far too easy for their second tier guys to beat us. I'd much rather take my chances with Nitzel shhoting 3's than 3-4 other guys shooting lay-ups.

BTW, Matthews did his best to make up for McNeal's absence - 6 turnovers. Yuch! Probably the worst game he's played since he's been here.