[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Synopsis of the season – What a Waste!!  (Read 3362 times)

thatman32

• Starter
Synopsis of the season – What a Waste!!
« on: March 15, 2007, 08:08:23 PM »
This is the end – Jim Morrison   

Well, I want to keep this short because I’m not writing a thesis.

Anyway, people have got to realize that TC can only take us so far.  Therefore, it’s ok if we terminate him and bring in another coach.  For those that think college is a guards game I think we should look at our team and realize that it’s not a guards game and nor was it ever.  It’s a big mans game and it always has been.  Pat Riley/Greg popavich has it right . . .  you throw the ball inside and let him go to work while setting up his teammates. 

This attack offense it not an offense it’s pathetic excuse for one.  Therefore, a coach that can teach an offensive system (like motion or Princeton style) while developing big men with simple things like a drop step is a prerequisite.  As one I-Banker said to another “Your only as good as your last deal” well our last couple of deals have been pretty bad and its time for a change.  Yeah he got the school to the NCAA, and big east but the school overpays for mediocre performance that most companies would not that accept at all (especially if warren buffet was your boss).

Overall, its TC’s team that he completely assembled and these are the results.  If you enjoy being embarrassed by a higher seed again then party on, like its 2001, but I like something different.  By the way I judge performance not only in the regular season but also in the NCAA tournament which is the only tournament that matters.       

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Synopsis of the season – What a Waste!!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 08:11:59 PM »

Crean is not missing the shots. Crean is not the one who can't hit a frigging 2 point field goal in the first half. That is an unbelievable statistic.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:40:28 PM »
quit blaming the players since the coach is the one that ASSEMBLED the team

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:42:48 PM »
I think Crean is fine. He just need to calm down a little bit.

The problem is not that we need better big man...although we do...it's that our guards aren't good enough! I don't know who sold us this bill of goods about our guards being among the best in the country, but it's nonsense.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »
I think Crean is fine. He just need to calm down a little bit.

The problem is not that we need better big man...although we do...it's that our guards aren't good enough! I don't know who sold us this bill of goods about our guards being among the best in the country, but it's nonsense.

I think we have good guards, but I do think James faded in the second half of the season. He went from a pre-season top pick to basically off the map.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:53:56 PM »
I agree on Crean... he's a young coach and he's gonna go through rough patches... tonight being one such occassion.  Thing is we need better talent... sure Wes, DJ, & Jerel are studs but what about the rest of the roster??  I never see Fitz or Barro being anything more than bench players - this was their year to step up and they did not.  Lazar is talented but not as athletic as I imagined he would have been... he's an undersized 4.  Cube is all heart and spit but he was a diamond in the rough.  Burke, Lott, Blackledge, Kinsella... all wasted schlolarships in my opinion.  It'll be interesting to see how athletic we are next year with Hazel, Saunders, & Mbakwe - from everything I read, they are the athletic big men we need to get us points and rebounds in the paint with some muscle and speed.

Tonight's effort was an embarassment to the University.  We need more tourney wins otherwise we'll be no better than a mid-major school.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 08:55:47 PM »

Crean is not missing the shots. Crean is not the one who can't hit a frigging 2 point field goal in the first half. That is an unbelievable statistic.

Tell me -- did you see any 'semblance' of an offensive gameplan tonight?

I'm not going to go so far as to say that I want Crean fired -- far from it -- but in my short time watching Marquette basketball, this was the WORST coaching 'effort' I've seen.  Marquette was clueless when Izzo went to a 2-3 zone -- at one point, they had four guys along the perimeter and another guy in the far side short corner.  

The 'gameplan' vs the man-to-man was even worse.  Guys were screening in the paint, but it looked like they had no clue where they were going.  Did Hayward even get a chance to post-up ONCE in this game?  

What an awful game.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 09:01:35 PM »
... sure Wes, DJ, & Jerel are studs but what about the rest of the roster??

How are these guys "studs?" DJ is a great athlete, but completely undersized. McNeal is tenacious, but not very athletic. Matthews is graceful, but not quite classically "athletic." 

How are three guys who cannot create their own shots "studs?"

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 09:03:45 PM »

Tell me -- did you see any 'semblance' of an offensive gameplan tonight?

I'm not going to go so far as to say that I want Crean fired -- far from it -- but in my short time watching Marquette basketball, this was the WORST coaching 'effort' I've seen.  Marquette was clueless when Izzo went to a 2-3 zone -- at one point, they had four guys along the perimeter and another guy in the far side short corner.  

The 'gameplan' vs the man-to-man was even worse.  Guys were screening in the paint, but it looked like they had no clue where they were going.  Did Hayward even get a chance to post-up ONCE in this game?  

What an awful game.

I agree.  I think Crean should read a few books on coaching instead of writing another one this offseason.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 09:06:21 PM »
... sure Wes, DJ, & Jerel are studs but what about the rest of the roster??

How are these guys "studs?" DJ is a great athlete, but completely undersized. McNeal is tenacious, but not very athletic. Matthews is graceful, but not quite classically "athletic." 

How are three guys who cannot create their own shots "studs?"

No other team in the Big East has a similar threesome of guards.  They're the best trio in the conference.  Now if you want to aruge about the 4 or 5 or bench, you've got something.  To try knock on the "stud-liness" of these three is just nonsense.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 09:12:53 PM »
The big 3 is a lot of hype.  I think it b/c clear during the course of the season that McNeal was our best player and tonight pointed out his leadership qualities.  But DJ believes his own hype and has much to learn about the game before he should consider moving to the next level for his own good.  As for Wes, he is a disappointment.  He has become a liability on defense and on offense, I'm not sure what he does well.  Can he shoot?  Can he drive?  What does he do well to make him be considered one of the big 3?
That said, this loss is on Crean.  We were not ready to play tonight, just like its been in previous years in the tourney.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

msuwins

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 10:30:35 AM »
You guys are a joke.  He is one of the best coach's you will get.  STOP being a Hoomer. ::)  Why would anybody better want to coach you guys??  Look at your programe and your location.  What do your fans do while in football season???  I know,  even your coach said it on Rome.  Go to watch the Badgers.
Be happy that you have a good coach.   Man,  you guys cry and whine alot.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 10:50:23 AM »
What do your fans do while in football season???

What do MSU fans do during the football season?  Better yet, what do MSU quarterbacks do during the football season?   ;D

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 10:51:12 AM »
msuwins: ... said the guy who's coach has brought them some S16s, E8s, a final fours and a NC recently.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 11:54:26 AM »
thatman32-
"Anyway, people have got to realize that TC can only take us so far.  Therefore, it’s ok if we terminate him and bring in another coach."

Bring in... who?  Bring in... Billy Donovan!  I'd love that!  Izzo?  Great!  Sign me up!  Calhoun?  He has TWO national championships.  Even better!  No, scratch that, let's have the A.D. scour the nation and find that "diamond in the rough" that becomes the next John Wooden!  It's so easy!  The possibilities are endless!

Name one caoch who would be even close to a better fit for our team AND would realistically come here.  Then I'll listen to a "fire Crean" argument.  Until someone does, it's just a bunch of irrational, ungreatful whining.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 12:49:13 PM »
In case anyone would like to read all 17 of Thatman's posts....I'll give you a hint when they arrive

1) always after a loss
2) always after a loss
3) never after a win
4) always after a loss
5) all of the above

Last night sucked big fat donkey balls.  Do you think anyone is happy about it?  Do you think the team is?  Do you think Crean is?  Do you think the fans are?  Of course not.  But it's very difficult to take you seriously when over the last 3 to 4 years you are a one hit wonder with the same mantra each time....always hidden in the shadows only to come out when we lose.  What a fan.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 03:37:36 PM »
Look at...your location. 

East... Lan...sing? And, like someone else already pointed out, what do you guys do during football season? Watch the Wolverines lead the Big10 all season? Watch ND pull off 30point comebacks at your house? Lose to teams like Illinois and Indiana? I'd rather have no football team than that thing MSU puts on the field (OK maybe not, but still.)

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 03:42:33 PM »
I'm glad we dont have a football team. lets the soccer teams have more publicity during the fall and allows people to go watch a real sport instead of football. :) As long as the mens team can do what they did in the first half of games last year the entire game next year, they could be pretty good too.

feedback