Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Oklahoma just fired Jeff Capel  (Read 10062 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Oklahoma just fired Jeff Capel
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »
I wonder how many schools are calling Todd Mayo and saying: "Did you hear what Andy Katz is saying?"

Couldn't find the Katz writeup, what is he saying?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
What is it about schools--or maybe its fanbases--that think they can hire a surefire coach? How many recent coaches have had 3-5 successful years (and I mean ONLY 3-5 years) somewhere and have gone on to quickly succeed at a higher profile school?

It seems like what we are seeing is guys that had 'flash in the pan' success for one year (maybe 2) and now are getting fired--Keno, Capel, Pelphrey.

I really can't think of recent coaches who had decent short-term success at one school and went on to higher profile schools and continued that trend immediately. Bill Self is probably the best (only?) example. (And, please, don't let this become a conversation about Crean.)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »

I was going with lab_warrior's post.

Buzz to Sooners!  /KNEEJERK RUMOR-MONGER ANDY KATZ
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 03:11:17 PM »

From Katz's article on Pelphrey dismissal:

Arkansas is expected to go after Missouri coach Mike Anderson, a former assistant under Nolan Richardson when he won the national title in 1994.

If Anderson turns the job down, Marquette coach Buzz Williams, who has Arkansas ties, is expected to be high on Long's list. If they can't land Williams, the Hogs will look for another established head coach.

Arkansas is willing to pay a high dollar amount to compete with Kentucky and Florida in the SEC. Arkansas has long been considered the job with the second-most passionate basketball fan base in the SEC behind Kentucky.

ESPN.com's senior college basketball writer Andy Katz contributed to this report. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »

Arkansas is expected to go after Missouri coach Mike Anderson, a former assistant under Nolan Richardson when he won the national title in 1994.

If Anderson turns the job down, Marquette coach Buzz Williams, who has Arkansas ties, is expected to be high on Long's list. If they can't land Williams, the Hogs will look for another established head coach.

Arkansas is willing to pay a high dollar amount to compete with Kentucky and Florida in the SEC. Arkansas has long been considered the job with the second-most passionate basketball fan base in the SEC behind Kentucky.

Thanks, saw that one.  Thought there was another on the Oklahoma vacancy. 

ESPN.com's senior college basketball writer Andy Katz contributed to this report. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »

I love Buzz and I think he has tremendous potential.  But has he done enough in his three years at MU for other power conference teams to be willing to "break the bank" to get him?

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:22 PM »
;)

In many respects, I think Pakuni is right.  We can argue ad nauseum about what was left in the cupboard, whether we needed to take as many JUCOs, etc, etc.

A fan from afar is going to see his record dropping each of the three years, only one NCAA tournament win, declining finishes in the conference and they're going to question if we're heading the wrong direction.  It's how fans operate.  So I think many fans will have that point of view.  Whether Oklahoma does, who knows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Williams

If that's how Oklahoma and Arkansas fans view Buzz, i just hope then that their university AD's also feel the same because that means they won't even consider going after our head coach.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
I love Buzz and I think he has tremendous potential.  But has he done enough in his three years at MU for other power conference teams to be willing to "break the bank" to get him?

Probably not, but if they get rejected by their 1st, 2nd, and maybe 3rd choices, things can quickly get dicey and it usually takes extra money to lure away a coach from a job at a major conference school. It's not like Buzz is coaching at UWM with a 500K salary to where say 1.1 million per would be viewed as a huge increase in salary.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 04:05:29 PM »
Anyone have ESPN Insider?
I'd love to know what it says here:

No Billy Clyde in Norman?
Oklahoma Sooners
 Why one shouldn't believe the Buzz Williams hype

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors?date=20110314&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2ffeatures%2frumors%3fdate%3d20110314

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »
I think espn insider is quoting this Dallas newspaper story.

Billy Gillispie has had conversations with officials at Texas Tech concerning him replacing Pat Knight as basketball coach; but the job has not yet been offered to him, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Gillispie has also had informal contact about the jobs at Arkansas and just-opened Oklahoma. The source said, however, that Arkansas has already had face-to-face contact with and is close to hiring Minnesota coach Tubby Smith.

Arkansas fired John Pelfrey on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/14/2920337/texas-tech-talking-to-gillispie.html#ixzz1Gc84tPR6

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 04:12:56 PM »
I think espn insider is quoting this Dallas newspaper story.

Billy Gillispie has had conversations with officials at Texas Tech concerning him replacing Pat Knight as basketball coach; but the job has not yet been offered to him, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Gillispie has also had informal contact about the jobs at Arkansas and just-opened Oklahoma. The source said, however, that Arkansas has already had face-to-face contact with and is close to hiring Minnesota coach Tubby Smith.

Arkansas fired John Pelfrey on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/14/2920337/texas-tech-talking-to-gillispie.html#ixzz1Gc84tPR6

Wow, one season with Mwabke was all it took?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors?date=20110314&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2ffeatures%2frumors%3fdate%3d20110314

It says that Goodman on Fox is speculating that OU would take a long look at Buzz. The report then goes on to say Buzz to OU may not be likely because while Buzz does have connections in the south, he is doing a good job "making headway" at Marquette and has a great recruiting class coming in.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 04:29:05 PM »
Gillispie has a far more impressive resume than Buzz at this point....sounds like he's gotten clean.  

TT, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Georgia Tech jobs all open, if Buzz stays this year we can be pretty confident he'll be here for a good while.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:33:27 PM by Stone Cold »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »

Here's the part about buzz...
Jeff Goodman of FoxSports.com expects OU to take a hard look at  Marquette's Buzz Williams (whose name has been mentioned in connection with the Arkansas and Texas Tech openings). However, we are hesitant about this name; Williams has the connections to Texas, Oklahoma and the rest of the southwest region but has made major headway at Marquette (and has a  very strong recruiting class). Combined with the returning players, there seems to be a better chance that Williams stays in Milwaukee.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 04:30:21 PM »
ANDY KATZ MADLIBS EVERYONE.  Now, EVERYONE can make up speculative, unfounded bulls*** rumors, and post it.  And...GO!

_______ is expected to go after _______ coach _______, a former assistant under _______ when he won
(school)                                (school)           (person)                                   (person)
_______.
(event)

If _______ turns the job down, _______ coach _______, who has _______ ties, is expected to be high on the
   (person)                           (school)           (person)              (nickname)   
 list.  If they can't land _______, the _______ will look for another established head coach.
                               (person)        (nickname)

_______ is willing to pay a high dollar amount to compete with _______ and _______ in the _______
(school)                                                                         (school)       (school)          (conference)
conference.  _______ has long been considered the job with the second-most passionate basketball fan base
                  (school)
 in the conference behind _______.
                                  (school)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 04:43:29 PM »
HAHAHAHA--- Hilarious lab warrior.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 04:57:32 PM »
ANDY KATZ MADLIBS EVERYONE.  Now, EVERYONE can make up speculative, unfounded bulls*** rumors, and post it.  And...GO!

_______ is expected to go after _______ coach _______, a former assistant under _______ when he won
(school)                                (school)           (person)                                   (person)
_______.
(event)

If _______ turns the job down, _______ coach _______, who has _______ ties, is expected to be high on the
   (person)                           (school)           (person)              (nickname)   
 list.  If they can't land _______, the _______ will look for another established head coach.

_______ is willing to pay a high dollar amount to compete with _______ and _______ in the _______
(school)                                                                         (school)       (school)          (conference)
conference.  _______ has long been considered the job with the second-most passionate basketball fan base
                  (school)
                                  (school)

Early candidate for post of the year 2011.  Well done

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »
ANDY KATZ MADLIBS EVERYONE.  Now, EVERYONE can make up speculative, unfounded bulls*** rumors, and post it.  And...GO!

(school)                                (school)           (person)                                   (person)
_______.
(event)

(person)                           (school)           (person)              (nickname)    
 list.  If they can't land _______, the _______ will look for another established head coach.
                               (person)        (nickname)

(school)                                                                         (school)       (school)          (conference)
conference.  _______ has long been considered the job with the second-most passionate basketball fan base
                  (school)
                                  (big name school)

Now its perfect.

fanofTR

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »
I would gladly take Cameron Clark on this team if he decided to leave OU. Would be a perfect start to our '12 class. He did some very nice things for the Sooners this past season. However, now maybe Buzz will just come to him.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »
I would gladly take Cameron Clark on this team if he decided to leave OU. Would be a perfect start to our '12 class. He did some very nice things for the Sooners this past season. However, now maybe Buzz will just come to him.

Just to be fair, Jamal Ferguson already got our '12 class kick started...

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

Note: just realized I still have to add Mayo to the table...whoops!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
It says that Goodman on Fox is speculating that OU would take a long look at Buzz. The report then goes on to say Buzz to OU may not be likely because while Buzz does have connections in the south, he is doing a good job "making headway" at Marquette and has a great recruiting class coming in.

Thought it was interesting that a national expert on college basketball considers our incoming recruiting class to be "great."  Heard a lot of grumbling around here that it wasn't very good due to the ESPN ranking numbers/grade assigned kids (many of which aren't updated..and are 6-12 months old).

Incidentally, saw Jarion Henry play this past weekend in the Texas State tourney...not very impressive.  Fouled out...4 points.  Wanted to play on the perimeter primarily.  But he's a 4 star talent according to most services..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »

The OU guy I want already left the program. Would love to see TJ Taylor in a Marquette uniform. I think that adding him, even as a sophomore transfer, might be the key we need to go from borderline-good to elite.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 07:42:47 AM »

_______.
(event)

(school)
                                  (school)

Well frickin' played.