Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Xavier fans pretty confident  (Read 12745 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

reinko

• All American
Re: Xavier fans pretty confident
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
I have never come across a bitchier set of fans about how their school name is pronounced. 

Except for the 'Scoop when it comes to our former coach.   :P

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »
I don't know if we do or dont win but after reading their boards I want to burry this team. They are giving us no chance. Most of them just talk about Cuse. The ones who do talk about us talk about how we are a terrible match up. Yet, most of us feel its a great match up.

Idk if Butler guards Holloway at all but one of their last posts was how Holloway would have Xavier in the double bonus within 5 minutes. What an ignorant idiot. Does he not see what Jimmy has done on other players? Does he not see our Ft makes compared to oppenents attempted? How many games has Jimmy fouled out?

Its ok to believe your team will win, they have a great chance. But my god are those fans ignorant blockheads.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
A Syracuse/Xavier fan currently working in MU athletics dept. ?

In the words of MU's own US Senator Joe McCarthy..."what ever happened to loyalty oaths?". lol

According to this Xavier board there is one...and he is an Xavier grad. ....to wit:

..."My friend is a huge Xavier fan and graduate, Syracuse fan, and works for the Marquette athletics department. I doubt he survives this week.
......"
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
Why wouldn't they be?  They're the higher seed, they've had much more tournament success than us in recent history, we finished .500 in conference and had 14 losses (just because we know the reasons doesn't mean the average Xavier fan does), they're much closer to home, etc.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:41:43 AM by TJ »

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »
Don't forget that exact same thing was going on here a year ago about Washington.  That didn't work out as planned, perhaps they will suffer the same fate.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

TJ

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »
I don't know if we do or dont win but after reading their boards I want to burry this team. They are giving us no chance. Most of them just talk about Cuse. The ones who do talk about us talk about how we are a terrible match up. Yet, most of us feel its a great match up.

Idk if Butler guards Holloway at all but one of their last posts was how Holloway would have Xavier in the double bonus within 5 minutes. What an ignorant idiot. Does he not see what Jimmy has done on other players? Does he not see our Ft makes compared to oppenents attempted? How many games has Jimmy fouled out?

Its ok to believe your team will win, they have a great chance. But my god are those fans ignorant blockheads.
In a word, no.  How much do we really know about Xavier?  I certainly don't know details that would be the equivalent of knowing that our star 3/4 will probably guard their PG and that he hasn't fouled out of any games and that he's played great defense against some great players.

Remember last year when we were a 6 and talking about our 2nd round game because Washington came from the lowly Pac-10?  Grow some thicker skin - the higher seeded team with great tournament success in recent years has a right to be confident.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 11:39:01 AM »
I have never come across a bitchier set of fans about how their school name is pronounced. 

I don't think they're any worse about their name being mispronounced than we are when somebody thinks we're located in Michigan.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 11:40:13 AM »
They should be confident.  We are too.  Good for them.  Now, I believe they are evil and must be destroyed.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »
I know, it's   ZAV E A (say the name of the letter).  I learned the proper pronunciation from watching a Kansas game last year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »
They've had a good year.   We have been inconsistent.   They have earned the right to be confident.   My heart says we win.   My brain is conflicted.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:48:56 AM »
Why wouldn't they be?  They're the higher seed, they've had much more tournament success than us in recent history, we finished .500 in conference and had 14 losses (just because we know the reasons doesn't mean the average Xavier fan does), they're much closer to home, etc.

+1

Who cares what their fans think? I know quite a few MU fans who are pretty confident that Marquette will win. I also know quite a few MU fans who were pretty confident that MU would win against Wisconsin, Vandy, Gonzaga, Seton Hall, ND and Louisville. It didn't seem to affect the outcome one bit.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »
In a word, no.  How much do we really know about Xavier?  I certainly don't know details that would be the equivalent of knowing that our star 3/4 will probably guard their PG and that he hasn't fouled out of any games and that he's played great defense against some great players.

Remember last year when we were a 6 and talking about our 2nd round game because Washington came from the lowly Pac-10?  Grow some thicker skin - the higher seeded team with great tournament success in recent years has a right to be confident.

How much do "we"? Sense when does what you know equate to what I know about a team? Sense when are Xavier and Washington even similar? One game we were a 6 the other an 11. One team is from the Pac 10 the other from the A 10. One team has made a lot of Sweet 16s the other hasnt. Go to bed.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 11:54:58 AM »
A Syracuse/Xavier fan currently working in MU athletics dept. ?

When we played X last year he cheered for his paycheck.  I assume this year will be no different!

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »
I don't think they're any worse about their name being mispronounced than we are when somebody thinks we're located in Michigan.

+1

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
They weren't impressed with our WV win...

I went to the MU-WVU game on Thurs and was pretty entertained, but MU was not impressive to say the least (so what does that say about WVU). Really don't shoot the ball, but they attack the basket relentlessly. Their pg (#5) is very fast and had a good game, but MU fans seemed surprised at how well he played and Tu should be able to control the game.

To be honest, as long as X plays in control, I see no reason not to roll. I am a little worried with Frease and Lyons coming out composed, but if they do, this one should be fairly easy. WVU had no inside game but shot the ball well. The 2nd half WVU looked like they left their brains in the locker room and just played horribly.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 12:21:44 PM »
How much do "we"? Sense when does what you know equate to what I know about a team?
We as in our fanbase, not you personally.  I don't know how much you personally know about Xavier (apparently a lot), but I can bet that the Xavier fanbase doesn't know as much about us as you apparently think.  You can't expect them to know every little facet about how Buzz is going to coach the game, down to the idea of having Jimmy guard their point guard.

Sense when are Xavier and Washington even similar? One game we were a 6 the other an 11. One team is from the Pac 10 the other from the A 10. One team has made a lot of Sweet 16s the other hasnt. Go to bed.
I don't think you really read the post or you missed it completely.  You're complaining about the #6 seed Xavier being confident against the #11 seed Marquette.  Last year, I recall a lot of confidence on this board when the #6 seed Marquette had a game against the #11 seed Washington.  They have the exact same confidence we had last year.  So you can be upset about it if you want, but I just see a normal reaction.  In fact, as you pointed out they have the had much recent tourney success to back up their confidence.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »
They weren't impressed with our WV win...

I mean, this team doesn't execute like the 2009 team pre-Dom's injury, but come on.  They may need a reality check then if don't think a win at the Garden against a tourney team means something.  Their resume is a joke if beating WVU on a neutral court means nothing.  

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 12:24:27 PM »
Remember when XU played in the A-10?

Remember when XU lost to Miami (OH), Charlotte and Dayton?

Their Kenpom is lower than ours, but they are a very good team on offense and defense... This is probably due to their low SOS.

Look at their schedule, they haven't beaten ANYONE of note. (best win is over Temple)

IMO they are overseeded, and I am more than happy to play them.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »
I mean, this team doesn't execute like the 2009 team pre-Dom's injury, but come on.  They may need a reality check then if don't think a win at the Garden against a tourney team ranked and seeded higher than them means something.  Their resume is a joke if beating WVU on a neutral court means nothing.  

Amended.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »
Maybe this is why?  They expect to win vs. looking under the rock to uncover something that points to MU losing even though we are in elite company in terms of appearances?  

• Xavier and Michigan State are the only teams in all of NCAA Division I that have
made the Sweet 16 in each of the last three NCAA Tournaments.

• Xavier is making its sixth straight NCAA Tournament appearance and its tenth in the
last 11 years, including the NCAA Sweet 16 last three seasons and NCAA Elite
Eight appearances in 2008 and 2004.

• Xavier is one of only 12 schools that have made six straight NCAA Tournament
appearances, including this year: Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Marquette, Michigan State,
Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Villanova, Wisconsin and Xavier.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 12:54:59 PM »
I honestly thought it was a pretty balanced thread.  There were fans talking crap because X is their alma mater, but that's completely understandable.

I'm really looking forward to a good Jesuit school matchup.  It's hard to hate X when we have so much in common.  Similar student body size and tuition.  Hopefully their fans all have to work late Friday so that they can't make it to the game and pack the house :)

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
I LOVE this position for Marquette.  Dissed by the committee, underdogs per the Vegas line, pkaying in their back yard, etc. 
No Finish Line

DrDestiny911

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 12:59:06 PM »
I like the fact that they're looking past us, I don't think they realize how tough of an out we can be as long as we aren't playin Seton Hall at their home or Louisville at MSG  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:02:13 PM by DrDestiny911 »

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm glad for their fans. It's good to be confident.  Let them.
Luckily, the fans do not play the game.  (Otherwise we could see another 22-16 Big10 type score or worse!)
 ;)
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

feedback