Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Are the bottom 3 BE teams being judged by different standards?  (Read 5300 times)

TJ

• All American
I am watching the Michigan-Ohio St game and they were talking about BE getting 11 and one of them said that Marquette still might be a bubble team.  The same guy in the same broadcast has been rattling off teams that "should" be in like Michigan, Mich St, Illinois (he did say maybe), Alabama, etc.  Plenty of examples whose resume isn't better than ours.

Are we being judged by different standards or something?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Are the bottom 3 BE teams being judged by different standards?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »
Who are the announcers?

I think alot of people look at our record and see 14 loses, but they don't actually know who those loses have come from. I think when you look at MU's schedule, it becomes quite a bit more apparent that MU is easily a lock compared to the other bubble teams.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:57:30 PM »
Who are the announcers?

I think alot of people look at our record and see 14 loses, but they don't actually know who those loses have come from. I think when you look at MU's schedule, it becomes quite a bit more apparent that MU is easily a lock compared to the other bubble teams.
I think it's Clark Kellogg

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 02:11:18 PM »

Yep, and he's apparrantly a joke of a big ten homer too!.. Wow, that's some idoitic stuff.
No Finish Line

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Honestly, I think the opinion of random commentators means a lot less to me than reading what someone like Jerry Palm or Joe Lunardi, who spend time evaluating all these numbers, has to say.

I keep listening to Digger harp on about how Alabama has to be a lock. Never mind that they have one of the worst RPIs of the bubble teams, and only 1 of their 21 wins is against one of kenpom's top 50 teams (compared to a team like MU who has 5 wins against the top 25). They have beaten Tennessee once and Georgia twice, but their only true quality win against Kentucky is pretty well offset by the drubbing the Wildcats hung on them today. In addition, they have four bad losses. I'm not saying it's impossible that they get in, but after their blowout loss today, they are at best on the bubble. That's why of the 18 brackets on the 50webs Matrix, only 10 have Alabama in. Of those 10, 9 list them as one of the last four in, and the other has them as one of the last eight in. Digger may know the game, but he sure as hell doesn't know what he's talking about when he says Alabama is a lock.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 03:19:24 PM »

It was Clark Kellogg.  Definitely heard him say the same thing.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
Going into the Big Ten tournament the Big Ten had three teams that finished 9-9 and could be considered bubble teams. All three of them won two games.
The Big East also had three 9-9 teams. One lost, one won two and one won four and is in the championship game. Dayton winning the Atlantic 10 takes the Atlantic 10 from 3 to 4 bids. Virginia Tech winning yesturday probably puts them in also. The Big 12 had three bubble teams and two of them flamed out and Colorado problably is in. There are a lot of less bids now than there were a few days ago. It occurred to me yesturday that while I was rooting for Penn St, it would be ironic if Penn St. got the bid that knocked MU out. It is nice having Luandi say 11 Big East teams are in, but he does not pick the teams and there are not enough bids to get 11 in. MU has a lot of losses, but they are somewhat protected by the fact that Villanova lost their last 5 games and I think Georgetown lost their last 4. I will be relieved when MU's name is called on Sunday and will be very worried if I see both Georgetown and Villanova in the field before they call MU's name. I just do not see the Big East getting 11 bids. I am not saying they do not deserve 11 bids, but I just do not believe it will happen.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »
Going into the Big Ten tournament the Big Ten had three teams that finished 9-9 and could be considered bubble teams. All three of them won two games.
The Big East also had three 9-9 teams. One lost, one won two and one won four and is in the championship game. Dayton winning the Atlantic 10 takes the Atlantic 10 from 3 to 4 bids. Virginia Tech winning yesturday probably puts them in also. The Big 12 had three bubble teams and two of them flamed out and Colorado problably is in. There are a lot of less bids now than there were a few days ago. It occurred to me yesturday that while I was rooting for Penn St, it would be ironic if Penn St. got the bid that knocked MU out. It is nice having Luandi say 11 Big East teams are in, but he does not pick the teams and there are not enough bids to get 11 in. MU has a lot of losses, but they are somewhat protected by the fact that Villanova lost their last 5 games and I think Georgetown lost their last 4. I will be relieved when MU's name is called on Sunday and will be very worried if I see both Georgetown and Villanova in the field before they call MU's name. I just do not see the Big East getting 11 bids. I am not saying they do not deserve 11 bids, but I just do not believe it will happen.

And as you have been for the last month. You are wrong. Nice.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Norm

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »
If Michigan gets in over Marquette, than the selection process is a joke. Michigand has some really bad losses and its best wins are against Harvard and MSU - they haven't beaten a ranked team the entire year.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »

I wanted to come in here and try to dispel your fears, reminding you that Dayton isn't in the tournament yet (A-10 Championship is tomorrow), that Colorado can't come close to matching any of the Big East teams profiles, and that Penn State also has a resume that simply doesn't objectively match up. But I recall the other night suggesting that you look at the data. Look at the quality wins, the bad losses, the computer ratings, the RPI, the SOS, and all the other factors that are mentioned this time of year. And as you're still nervous about the Big East not getting 11 bids, you clearly haven't done that. ESPN has us in as a lock. 50webs Bracket Matrix has us included in 83/85 brackets, and we are included in every single bracket that has been updated in the past two days. Basically, every single person who is actually looking at the data and breaking it down realizes that we are in. It's not about the conferences, it's about the resumes. And the bottom line is that none of the bubble teams have resumes that are even close to Marquette, Georgetown, or Villanova.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 04:21:05 PM »
Look at the resumes of those B10 teams (Illinois, MSU, Michigan, Penn St).  They all have at least 13 losses.  None of them were better than .500 in conference.  
Penn St beat Bucky twice, but besides that their best wins are against MSU, Minnesota and Illinois (all once).  Losses to Ole Miss and Maine.  
Illinois beat UNC, Bucky, Gonzaga, MSU, Penn State, but has horrible losses to UIC and Indiana.
Michigan hasn't beaten anyone but the other B10 teams we are discussing.  They have losses to Indiana and NW.
MSU has beaten Washington, Bucky, Purdue (conf tourney) Minnesota, Illinois, Penn St.  Their only questionable loss it to Iowa.

I don't think any of those match our wins over UConn, Syracuse, ND, WVU (x2).  And every team that beat us, except Seton Hall, is in the tournament.  

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
I told all of you that public opinion was against us. 
I dont think we are getting in cause Clark Kellogg is pretty unbiased and his sentiments are exactly what commitee members probably are

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »
Penn State trying to steal a bid as well.  Harvard just lost by 1 to Princeton in the Ivy playoff.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »
I told all of you that public opinion was against us. 
I dont think we are getting in cause Clark Kellogg is pretty unbiased and his sentiments are exactly what commitee members probably are

Clark Kellogg is a broadcaster, not a bracketologist. Listening to broadcasters isn't worth your time. It's like asking a crime beat reporter for a weather report. The best they can give you is regurgitating what the meteorologist said during the newscast, but not their own actual insight.

And Chicos...I think Penn State stole a bid yesterday, or rather earned one. Either way, they won't have any impact on us, they're still behind all the Big East teams. Too bad for Harvard, they looked pretty solid. Thankfully, their resume is somewhat similar to Princeton, so it really didn't change my seed-lines too much ;D

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
I still have a really really really bad feeling about tomorrow :-\

The big ten is full of big state schools that have a lot more political pull than the bottom two big east schools which are privates. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 05:19:34 PM »
Clark Kellogg is a broadcaster, not a bracketologist. Listening to broadcasters isn't worth your time. It's like asking a crime beat reporter for a weather report. The best they can give you is regurgitating what the meteorologist said during the newscast, but not their own actual insight.

And Chicos...I think Penn State stole a bid yesterday, or rather earned one. Either way, they won't have any impact on us, they're still behind all the Big East teams. Too bad for Harvard, they looked pretty solid. Thankfully, their resume is somewhat similar to Princeton, so it really didn't change my seed-lines too much ;D

Perhaps....the Bracket Project still has PSU as first 4 out and only in 35 of 85 brackets.  We'll see.  They are certainly making a strong case and have likely pushed someone else.

I'm pretty comfortable we're in...I'll stick with the 98% number I went with the other day.  We're in 83 of 85 brackets.  About 5 or so we are in with a 12 seed, which means last 4 in.  There will be a little apprehension, but I'm guessing in and around a 9 or 10 seed.  Should be a fun day tomorrow.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Clark Kellogg is a Big10 guy broadcasting a Big10 game to a Big10 audience. No surprise he would say something like that.  Also, I think Penn State's success will come at the expense of Illinois.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 05:56:36 PM »
I still have a really really really bad feeling about tomorrow :-\

The big ten is full of big state schools that have a lot more political pull than the bottom two big east schools which are privates. 

Political pull?  With whom? Are the presidents of Illinois, Penn State, etc. throwing rocks at the 15th floor of the Indy Westin?

Seriously... people really need to look up the definition of "sequestered."  How the heck are you supposed to influence someone with whom you can't even communicate?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »
Their is no way they are really sequestered.

romey

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 07:46:09 PM »
what makes you say that?

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »
Because if they were truly sequestered each of them would have a guard at the door and they cant even leave their hotel room. 
Clark Kellogg's thoughts could be just the ammunition that some guy on the commitee needs to leave us out.  Than again hopefully the majority of others also have a say.

I just keep thinking of the syracuse situation from a few years back.
They had a above 500 big east record and they didnt get in

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
Snuggle up with the baby, Nate and go to sleep.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
Look at the resumes of those B10 teams (Illinois, MSU, Michigan, Penn St).  They all have at least 13 losses.  None of them were better than .500 in conference.  
Penn St beat Bucky twice, but besides that their best wins are against MSU, Minnesota and Illinois (all once).  Losses to Ole Miss and Maine.  
Illinois beat UNC, Bucky, Gonzaga, MSU, Penn State, but has horrible losses to UIC and Indiana.
Michigan hasn't beaten anyone but the other B10 teams we are discussing.  They have losses to Indiana and NW.
MSU has beaten Washington, Bucky, Purdue (conf tourney) Minnesota, Illinois, Penn St.  Their only questionable loss it to Iowa.

I don't think any of those match our wins over UConn, Syracuse, ND, WVU (x2).  And every team that beat us, except Seton Hall, is in the tournament.

The fact that we have really no ugly losses is huge. As you mentioned, our worst loss all season was to Seton Hall and they weren't a good team, but they aren't terrible either like some of the teams other bubble teams lost to.

I'm not nervous at all about getting in.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »

Their, There, They're. All so tricky.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 10:41:42 PM »
Their, There, They're. All so tricky.

I haven't been nervous all week since the WVU win. But coming on here sure makes me nervous.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.