[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[June 08, 2024, 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Did Buzz Get In Trouble With The BE?  (Read 8436 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Did Buzz Get In Trouble With The BE?
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »
Thanks for the clarification...I saw Rutgers...my bad.

Doesn't change the fact he was there to do a job.

All that being said, I don't mind that Buzz chewed his guys out.  Buzz is an adult, he knows the rules and will have to accept any punishment if there is any.  I also sympathize with the reporters trying to do their jobs. 

It's a two way street.  Calling the guy a hack?  Seems uncalled for.

Then he probably should stop acting like a hack.  I'm perfectly willing to admit that he might be a good journalist, but the piece he did about Buzz was not indicative of that.  He was pissed because Buzz made him wait, and he let it affect his writing.  I can understand why he was pissed.  Being pissed doesn't make him a hack.  Letting his anger affect his work makes him a hack.  Perhaps this piece does not reflect on the overall quality of his work, but his unapologetic nature makes me wonder.

And while I'm certainly no expert on NCAA regulations relating to boosters, it makes me squirm to hear about an alum who is openly admitting that he's "trying to persuade" uncommitted recruits to come to Marquette.  I suspect that Marquette's compliance office might prefer that he stick to his journalism duties and leave the recruiting to the basketball staff.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 10:35:05 AM »
It's a two way street.  Calling the guy a hack?  Seems uncalled for.

Calling him "Bonehead Buzz" repeatedly doesn't exactly scream professionalism.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 10:37:39 AM »
So pbi I am not allowed to convince a student athlete to come to MU?  I doubt that is the intent of the rule.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
So pbi I am not allowed to convince a student athlete to come to MU?  I doubt that is the intent of the rule.

If you buy tickets, contribute to the program or in any other way can be deemed a booster, that is exactly the intent of the rule.

Q: Can a booster contact a prospect or their parents on or off campus?

Boosters cannot have any in-person recruiting contact with a prospect or the prospect's parents or legal guardian (s) or relatives on or off campus at any time.

Again, you simply ARE NOT PERMITTED to attempt to recruit the prospect or discuss the athletic program.

http://www.razorbackfoundation.com/ncaa.htm

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 11:03:37 AM »
I lived on the same floor as Big Jim in McCormick.  He was sort of funny, in a  Chris Farley kind of way, but nowhere near as talented.  

This article shows him to be as arrogant as most east coast writers are thought to be.

I remember he would wear a shirt and shorts that was totally red.  Looked like a 350 pound tomato.  

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
this cat reminds me of the knob shine who tried to sink Aquaman from the TV show entourage.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »

Hit the billfold, but leave the sweet tea alone. Rules are made to be broken, aina F*ckin'?

Straight cash homey.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 12:20:14 PM »
If you buy tickets, contribute to the program or in any other way can be deemed a booster, that is exactly the intent of the rule.

Boosters cannot have any in-person recruiting contact with a prospect or the prospect's parents or legal guardian (s) or relatives on or off campus at any time.

Again, you simply ARE NOT PERMITTED to attempt to recruit the prospect or discuss the athletic program.

Here is comparable information from Marquette's compliance office.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
Calling him "Bonehead Buzz" repeatedly doesn't exactly scream professionalism.

Totally agree with you.  This is one of the problems I have with journalism in that often these guys will do one thing in the paper \ television, but something else on the radio or blogs.  Two sets of standards. I see it a lot on the tv side.  Look at some of the national television anchors, or cable network guys and their persona on tv vs what it is on the radio...totally different.  Then get them on their blogs, different again.

Seems there are different expectations or freedoms of expression.  I sympathize with the guy's job and the deadlines he has to meet. He's given an expectation that is enforced by rule from the conference that the coaches will be there.  They were not...that puts him in a tough spot with his bosses, his deadlines, etc.

On the other hand, his comments on the blog were too personal considering his profession.  It's not some random blog from some random fan, he's a journalist. That is where the anger is here.  I get that, too.  No excuse for some of his comments.

Then again, you have to wonder if Buzz just followed the rules, none of this would have happened.  Doesn't excuse it, but the chain of events doesn't start.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 01:14:05 PM »
Totally agree with you.  This is one of the problems I have with journalism in that often these guys will do one thing in the paper \ television, but something else on the radio or blogs.  Two sets of standards. I see it a lot on the tv side.  Look at some of the national television anchors, or cable network guys and their persona on tv vs what it is on the radio...totally different.  Then get them on their blogs, different again.

Seems there are different expectations or freedoms of expression.  I sympathize with the guy's job and the deadlines he has to meet. He's given an expectation that is enforced by rule from the conference that the coaches will be there.  They were not...that puts him in a tough spot with his bosses, his deadlines, etc.

On the other hand, his comments on the blog were too personal considering his profession.  It's not some random blog from some random fan, he's a journalist. That is where the anger is here.  I get that, too.  No excuse for some of his comments.

Then again, you have to wonder if Buzz just followed the rules, none of this would have happened.  Doesn't excuse it, but the chain of events doesn't start.
I think the consensus is we don't care about an inconvenienced journalist.  I also understand that pi**ing off journalists consistently usually doesn't help your cause. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 01:17:21 PM »
I think the consensus is we don't care about an inconvenienced journalist.  I also understand that pi**ing off journalists consistently usually doesn't help your cause. 

Correct...the pen (or keyboard) is mightier than the sword. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 01:19:27 PM »

http://www.razorbackfoundation.com/ncaa.htm

Ah Hah, there is nothing in there prohibiting teaching a potential recruit the school fight song!

If I were Hague, I'd be worried that Tyshawn would find out about the blog and bring a libel suit.  The picture created in anyone's mind of Hague teaching Tyshawn to sing Ring On Ahoya cannot be anything but detrimental to Tyshawn's street cred.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »
Ah Hah, there is nothing in there prohibiting teaching a potential recruit the school fight song!

If I were Hague, I'd be worried that Tyshawn would find out about the blog and bring a libel suit.  The picture created in anyone's mind of Hague teaching Tyshawn to sing Ring On Ahoya cannot be anything but detrimental to Tyshawn's street cred.

Point plnkn.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 01:51:32 PM »
You can't blame the guy for getting a little exercised about the long wait - both of his followers were very upset!

Hey, that's not fair. He has 13 followers, almost 600% more than you gaver him credit for.
And besides, how pissed can his mom be at him? 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 02:04:57 PM »

Pens today are cheap, flimsy, and the ink is no longer poisonous.  They just don't strike fear into the heart of tyrants like they did in the 19th century when journalists whipped their quills around like ninja throwing-stars.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »

and we don't care about an inconvenienced journalist

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
and we don't care about an inconvenienced journalist

I think we should if this is a common occurrence (and that was, I think, the original point of this thread -- to find out if this is a common occurrence).

In isolation, I would much prefer that Buzz take the time to do/say what he thinks is necessary for the team.  That team is his primary responsibility and he needs to take care of that business.  If that inconveniences a reporter or two from time to time, so be it.  However, media relations is also an important part of Buzz's job.  If he's making a habit of this kind of thing (and I've not heard from anyone else that he is), then it will come back and bite him in the ass.  It's rare that I'd quote Clinton, but I remember a quote that I'm seeing attributed to him (although I thought it was older...I'm not going to research):  "Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel."  I'm not talking so much about this guy; but am talking about the situation if Buzz is frequently making the press wait for him after the games.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »
I think we should if this is a common occurrence (and that was, I think, the original point of this thread -- to find out if this is a common occurrence).

In isolation, I would much prefer that Buzz take the time to do/say what he thinks is necessary for the team.  That team is his primary responsibility and he needs to take care of that business.  If that inconveniences a reporter or two from time to time, so be it.  However, media relations is also an important part of Buzz's job.  If he's making a habit of this kind of thing (and I've not heard from anyone else that he is), then it will come back and bite him in the ass.  It's rare that I'd quote Clinton, but I remember a quote that I'm seeing attributed to him (although I thought it was older...I'm not going to research):  "Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel."  I'm not talking so much about this guy; but am talking about the situation if Buzz is frequently making the press wait for him after the games.

"Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel." is a Clinton quote, but he got a little help from Mark Twain who said:
"Never pick a fight with a man who buys his ink by the barrel."

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »
Correct...the pen is mightier than the sword. 

"You're sitting on a gold mine Trebek!"

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 04:17:22 PM »

I agree that if this is a long running problem, it needs to be addressed.  I am not going to take Big Jim Hague's word for it.   

For what it's worth, I think Hague is a great grandson of Frank Hague, the mob mayor of Jersey City (and a character in Empire Boardwalk).  If I remember correctly, he worked in some PR capacity at St. Peter's when Douquet was coach there.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
I agree that if this is a long running problem, it needs to be addressed.  I am not going to take Big Jim Hague's word for it.   

For what it's worth, I think Hague is a great grandson of Frank Hague, the mob mayor of Jersey City (and a character in Empire Boardwalk).  If I remember correctly, he worked in some PR capacity at St. Peter's when Douquet was coach there.

Wow, Dukiet had a mobster for his PR guy at St. Peter's.  Now I finally understand how he got the MU job.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »

If I were Hague, I'd be worried that Tyshawn would find out about the blog and bring a libel suit.  The picture created in anyone's mind of Hague teaching Tyshawn to sing Ring On Ahoya cannot be anything but detrimental to Tyshawn's street cred.

I'm not for sure on that. The street version of Hail Alma Mater by Nelly gets me real loose.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"