Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Do The Name Marshon Brooks Ring A Bell?  (Read 4393 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Do The Name Marshon Brooks Ring A Bell?
« on: March 06, 2011, 07:13:14 AM »
I'm not gonna speculate the probability of whether MU is in or out at this point. But, it will be in their best interest to beat Providence on Tuesday, regardless. The task is simple, i.e. contain Marshon Brooks. The question is, can they do that? Now, I know Buzz and crew have already accomplished that once. However, I'm sayin' the scenario is significantly different this time around:

1. neutral site
2. Marquette is not playing well offensively and defensively.

On the other hand, Brooks has an opportunity to make a statement at MSG before he enters the draft. Tough assignment for Marquette.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

nyg

• All American
Re: Do The Name Marshon Brooks Ring A Bell?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 07:16:44 AM »
Providence is 4-14 in BE play and did not win a single away game.  Even though MU is playing poorly, I can't fathom them losing this game. 

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 07:28:53 AM »
Providence is 4-14 in BE play and did not win a single away game.  Even though MU is playing poorly, I can't fathom them losing this game. 
funny things happen in this game.  who did depaul beat?? :o

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:36:02 AM »
funny things happen in this game.  who did depaul beat?? :o

Yes, Depaul beat Providence AT Providence which makes it even worse for them.  Upsets do occur, but if MU doesn't win this game then a bid is not deserved.  Do not see that happening.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 07:41:58 AM »
How many of you cats saw SH beating MU last night? Just sayin'
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 07:43:06 AM »
A team with nothing to lose is a dangerous team. Think I heard that somewhere.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »

did you watch them whoops st johns?
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »
Granted, our last two games weren't that impressive, but we're a week removed from a 3-game winning streak, our longest in the Big East this season. I think a few days off and a renewed focus should sort this team out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »
A team with nothing to lose is a dangerous team. Think I heard that somewhere.

I'd argue at this point MU is a team with nothing to lose. Maybe that's the point you're trying to make.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »
I'd argue at this point MU is a team with nothing to lose. Maybe that's the point you're trying to make.

Fair interpretation, but we have everything to lose as we're still projected to be in the Dance but Providence has nothing to lose since they are not. That is the point I was trying to make. They also may be more desperate to win, since doing so means they have another game to play this year. We should be equally desperate in that case.......
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:01:08 PM by 96warrior »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 07:10:56 PM »
It will be a real chess game of Davis vs. Buzz in how effective Brooks is for Providence. Can MU bottle him up twice in the past couple of weeks or will Keno find a way to effectively work him into the offense?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarquetteBamaFan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »

I did. Just sayin'

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
Um, I did and every other MU fan that watched the game. Hence why everyone was so nervous, pre-game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »

We have everything to lose if we do lose on Tuesday.  All the pressure is on MU.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:15 PM »
I really don't think anyone thought that the Seton Hall game was going to be an easy win.  First of all it was on the road and second they were beaming with confidence after beating St. Johns.  This game against Providence will be different.  We are going to win because Providence really has no shot at making the tournament and Marquette will be playing to save their tournament chances and get back off the bubble.  I would bet on MU pulling this one out. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »
I really don't think anyone thought that the Seton Hall game was going to be an easy win.  First of all it was on the road and second they were beaming with confidence after beating St. Johns.  This game against Providence will be different.  We are going to win because Providence really has no shot at making the tournament and Marquette will be playing to save their tournament chances and get back off the bubble.  I would bet on MU pulling this one out. 

I agree with first and second, and I'd like to add that third of all, Vegas had them favored.  Fourth of all, they've been a MUCH better team since Hazell returned.  Add it all up and a loss was definitely possible if not probable.  Seton Hall is no joke.  The Big East is the best it's ever been in terms of depth.  12 teams are arguably among the top 35 in the nation.  That's unreal.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 11:30:39 PM »
I agree with first and second, and I'd like to add that third of all, Vegas had them favored.  Fourth of all, they've been a MUCH better team since Hazell returned.  Add it all up and a loss was definitely possible if not probable.  Seton Hall is no joke.  The Big East is the best it's ever been in terms of depth.  12 teams are arguably among the top 35 in the nation.  That's unreal.

Dude. Seton Hall is nowhere near top 35.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 12:20:51 AM »
Seton hall has one of the 35 best sagarin ratings since hazell returned, so his statement is perfectly defendable.  Saying they are nowhere close to the top 35 isjust wrong.  You can argue they aren't quite that good and the computer is a little off, but you can't say nowhere close.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 12:29:33 AM »
Seton hall has one of the 35 best sagarin ratings since hazell returned, so his statement is perfectly defendable.  Saying they are nowhere close to the top 35 isjust wrong.  You can argue they aren't quite that good and the computer is a little off, but you can't say nowhere close.

That's exactly what I was basing my statement off of.  They are a great defensive team, and I mean great.  Adding Hazell back into the mix gives them an offensive punch.  People are under appreciating just how good this Seton Hall team when they've been healthy, and I really feel like they're underestimating the strength of the Big East as a whole this year.  Big time.