Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2011 Recruiting Class, Are We keeping up With the Jones'?  (Read 6165 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2011 Recruiting Class, Are We keeping up With the Jones'?
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »
Wilson averaged 4.7 ppg as a freshman backup. Butler averaged 5.6 ppg in his first year here. Hayward averaged 6.6 ppg as a freshman. There's no reason to think that with a year of development, Wilson can't put up something in the 12.8-14.7 ppg range that Hayward and Butler put up in their second years here.

I'm hoping the year off helps Wilson.  Saw him play in a several Pac Ten games and he looked every bit a freshman...lost.  This was last year in a conference that was brutally bad.  However, as Al said, "the best thing about Freshmen is they become sophomores." 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 10:31:54 AM »
Well, two thoughts...first, you have to take a longer term look at this.

Top 25 BE classes:
2009: #3 Villanova, #8 Uconn, #14 Marquette, #17 Louisville, #18 Pitt
2010: #5 Syracuse, #17 Marquette, #20 UConn
2011: #2 St. Johns, #9 Louisville, #10 Syracuse, #14 Pitt, #15 Rutgers, #22 Cincy, #23 Villanova

You'll notice, that in this 3 year span, no school has had a top #25 class every year.  Much of that is related to the second thought...

The size of the class is a large part of whether/where it gets ranked. You'll notice a lot of the "ranked" classes this year are have 4+ recruits signed (9 for SJU).  We only have 2, and while it's unlikely that we'll get in the top #25 with our last two scholarships, there's still a chance.  

And if that happened, we'd be doing better at recruiting than any other BE school for the by having a top 25 class 3 years running.

So, I'd say we're are definitely keeping up with the J's :)

Rocky: what source are you using for the ratings?--is it ESPN? According to RSCI Buzz's first 3 classes
2009 not in top 20
2010 18th
2011 unranked currently--not yet finished, but likely another unranked year.

My point is that I believe that we are trending downward in Conference standings, being leapfrogged by teams like St. John's, ND, Cinncy, etc., and not keeping up in recruiting. This is definitely cause for concern IMO. I do agree with you that it is best to take a longer term look, but sometimes that can really put the program in a world of hurt. I have already said, Buzz needs to show significant improvement in both Conference standing next year, and his 4th recruiting class. And given that we will only have 1 scholly available yet for 2012 (I think), will either of these happen. If not, then the jury should be in.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 11:21:35 AM »
Rocky: what source are you using for the ratings?--is it ESPN? According to RSCI Buzz's first 3 classes

Well, you started with ESPN, so I stuck with ESPN.  Now you want to use RSCI.  Ugh.  Anyway, here's the ESPN link...
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/classrankings?classyear=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2fclassrankings%3fclassyear%3d2009

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »
It is true that there are at least 5-6 teams in the Big East that are recruiting far better than we are.  It's pretty rare for Marquette to land a top rated recruit while other schools seem to get at least one every year.  I also think this class is shaping up to be a down year for Marquette, and I'm not saying that because I expected us to land Tokoto.

However, the recruiting rankings generally unvervalue or completely disregard JUCO signings.  I think DJO was not even rated by ESPN.  Buzz has obviously done very well on that front.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
Two words for next year - Jamil Wilson.

This will be his coming out party. I have heard lots of talk that he is perhaps the best player on the team right now. He is built like a more athletic version of JFB. I am very excited about next year.

Lastly, "Buzz better get going" come on. Two more spots left and lots of youth on the floor right now. The ceiling for these guys is very high. Add in Jamil, Juan, and Derrick Wilson, things are looking great already.

Personally, I would like to see one more true PG and God's gift for next year.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 12:25:13 PM »
Well, you started with ESPN, so I stuck with ESPN.  Now you want to use RSCI.  Ugh.  Anyway, here's the ESPN link...
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/classrankings?classyear=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2fclassrankings%3fclassyear%3d2009
No, I just went with RSCI because other people always reference that when some mention ESPN or Rivals, etc. I am sure that with all those ranking sources out there, one could pick and choose the one they want to make their argument. I still believe that Buzz is lacking in the recruiting department, and this year shows it. Hopefully he can land somebody good. I do not know much about Mayo, other than he is not highly ranked. We do not seem to be landing the horses to carry us to the upperechelon of BEast

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »
Two words for next year - Jamil Wilson.

This will be his coming out party. I have heard lots of talk that he is perhaps the best player on the team right now. He is built like a more athletic version of JFB. I am very excited about next year.

Lastly, "Buzz better get going" come on. Two more spots left and lots of youth on the floor right now. The ceiling for these guys is very high. Add in Jamil, Juan, and Derrick Wilson, things are looking great already.

Personally, I would like to see one more true PG and God's gift for next year.
Yes, he better get going on recruiting because our conference record each year under Buzz has gone down from prior year--wrong trend. And this year's recruiting class will not be very good either from a ranking standpoint.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
No, I just went with RSCI because other people always reference that when some mention ESPN or Rivals, etc. I am sure that with all those ranking sources out there, one could pick and choose the one they want to make their argument. I still believe that Buzz is lacking in the recruiting department, and this year shows it. Hopefully he can land somebody good. I do not know much about Mayo, other than he is not highly ranked. We do not seem to be landing the horses to carry us to the upperechelon of BEast

In that event, perhaps you should modify your initial post to reflect that MU does have a top 100 commitment for next year (and top 75, according to Rivals).

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
In that event, perhaps you should modify your initial post to reflect that MU does have a top 100 commitment for next year (and top 75, according to Rivals).
Any way you look at it, this year's recruiting class is thin.