Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Honestly Marq does not deserve to be in the NCAA Tourney  (Read 11339 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Honestly Marq does not deserve to be in the NCAA Tourney
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »
I guess some people in this world are satisfied with just making the cut, or getting bounced out early in a first round.... Lol, That's something really to be proud of! Whooo Rah!!

First of all, quote button. Not a difficult concept. It's in the top right corner of all the posts. Second, if you follow this team and see who they've lost to and the margins, you know that they can play with anyone on any given night. If we get a 10 or 11 seed, who out there really scares you? Utah State? George Mason? Xavier? Missouri? Texas A&M? I think we would have a chance of beating any of those teams. And if we did win, what about the second round? Would a Duke, BYU, San Diego State, or North Carolina provide an insurmountable challenge? I don't think so, considering we've beaten teams like Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Connecticut that are in line for similar seeds.

Quite simply, you can't do anything in March if you don't get into the tournament. And I, for one, am not willing to puss out as a fan and write off our chances just because we lost one game. Teams in the Big East know us. They know how to play us. That won't be the case with everyone else we see. I've said before, I could just as easily see us going to the Elite 8 as I could see us going out in the first round. But I do know that if we don't make the cut, we don't have the chance to do either. I'd rather get in and have the chance than miss out and write off the season.

If you don't want to cheer for the team because they've let you down, fine. Then just go away. My guess is the players don't want fans like you anyway. But if you want to support them through thick and thin and earn the right to enjoy the highs and lows right along with them, then man up and accept that not everything in life is sunshine and roses.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:38:02 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JD

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »
You truly are dumb!  No crap we can beat anyone of those teams, hell any team can win on any given day!!  The fact is this, the reason Marquette is going to be in the tourney is because of a weak bubble.  And I just stated that I prefer not to get in that way.  No big deal guy, don't crap yourself.  I'm still a fan always will be, but it's still disappointing to some people!
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »
You truly are dumb!  No crap we can beat anyone of those teams, hell any team can win on any given day!!  The fact is this, the reason Marquette is going to be in the tourney is because of a weak bubble.  And I just stated that I prefer not to get in that way.  No big deal guy, don't crap yourself.  I'm still a fan always will be, but it's still disappointing to some people!

:D

Spoken like a kid. So if Marquette gets an 11-seed, knocks off Xavier in the first round and BYU in the second, then ends up grinding out a rematch with the 3-seed Syracuse before falling in another tough contested matchup with 1-seed Duke in the Elite 8 you'll be complaining about how we got in? Perspective, son, perspective. Trust me, in life you'll find you're better off playing with and adjusting to the hand you're dealt than crying about the color of the cards in the deck.

JD

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »
Yet again!!.....You let me know when Marquette does that hoss!  Is Marquette all of a sudden going to start winning all of these games?!  Let me know when they get out of the second round bossman!

“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »

I guess some people in this world are satisfied with just making the cut, or getting bounced out early in a first round.... Lol, That's something really to be proud of! Whooo Rah!!

I'm not doing cartwheels, but if we get in with a team that was forced to go totally JUCO in its junior and senior classes because they were empty I think it's a solid accomplishment. They'll be 277 other D1 teams who would trade places.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2011, 06:50:19 PM »
Yet again!!.....You let me know when Marquette does that hoss!  Is Marquette all of a sudden going to start winning all of these games?!  Let me know when they get out of the second round bossman!

LOL

Seriously, you have me rolling. You're better off just quitting while you're not too far behind.

I never said it's guaranteed, I gave a hypothetical. Maybe we do, maybe we don't. I'd rather have the chance to cheer for this team a few more times than bang my head against the wall because I don't like the options the Selection Committee will be presented with. Either way, I'd just let this one go. The more you post, the worse you will look.

JD

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2011, 06:52:45 PM »
We agree to disagree sir... but I do hope your right!

GO MARQUETTE!

AL

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
*Sigh*

I feel like I'm shouting into a vacuum. Can someone who thinks we are on the outside looking in please, please, please give me an explanation as to why they believe that in which they actually explain which teams have resumes that are better than Marquette's? It's so easy to say "it won't happen" just because being a negative nancy is fashionable, but I have yet to see one person back up the argument with "we won't get in because of x, y, and z". The best anyone can come up with is the Selection Committee doesn't want to put 11 Big East teams in.

.500 or worse teams from the Big 12, PAC-10, SEC, and Big Ten are either projected in or on the bubble. All of those teams in question have at least one sub-100 RPI loss, and in most cases 2-4 of them. None of those teams have the number of top-25 RPI wins that we do. Bottom line, they do not have our resume.

Is it really too much to ask that someone give a REAL explanation instead of just "well, I don't think we'll get in because I'm a mopey moe after the Cincinnati loss"?

I completely understand what you are saying but let me say this.  There is no way that the committee wants to put 11 Big East teams in this tournament regardless of the resume of those teams, I think that MU actually bailed them out last night.  I am not arguing that they do not deserve to get in over the likes of Minnesota, Michigan, etc..  I just think that they are caught up in a numbers game.   I know that the NCAA always says that the they don't pay attention to how many teams from each conference are in the tournament but do you really believe that?

I cannot imagine getting inside the heads of the people who do this however, even though nearly every prognosticator has had 11 BE teams in the tournament, I cannot imagine them actually doing it.  I hope they do, but I'm not hopeful.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2011, 07:48:36 PM »
In past years, I think that may have cost the conference a 9th bid. This year I think is different. The difference between the 9th Big East team in past years has been close to the resumes of teams 64 and 65, meaning it may have been a numbers game or it
may have been a legit bid on merit. This year that doesn't exist. Our resume compares favorably to most projected 8 & 9 seeds. When you consider the drek that may get in from other conferences that are clearly inferior, denying a .500 Big East team would be ludicrous. If we are snubbed, the ONLY possible explanation will be that they didn't want 11 teams in. It's never been this blatant before. And if there's already 10 teams that are in, is the 11th really that big of a jump?

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »
On the "not wanting to put 11 in" idea, this article, while long, really kind of shows that the committee doesn't really have time to evaluate which conference a team is part of (or keep track of how many are in).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/02/21/mock.tournament.selection/index.html
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »

I completely understand what you are saying but let me say this.  There is no way that the committee wants to put 11 Big East teams in this tournament regardless of the resume of those teams, I think that MU actually bailed them out last night.  I am not arguing that they do not deserve to get in over the likes of Minnesota, Michigan, etc..  I just think that they are caught up in a numbers game.   I know that the NCAA always says that the they don't pay attention to how many teams from each conference are in the tournament but do you really believe that?

I cannot imagine getting inside the heads of the people who do this however, even though nearly every prognosticator has had 11 BE teams in the tournament, I cannot imagine them actually doing it.  I hope they do, but I'm not hopeful.

My response to this is if Marquette were to have won last night, would Cinci have been left out? Under your logic, the answer to that question would be yes. And the obvious answer to someone on the outside looking in is no. We're all disappointed, and rightfully so. But, if we win on Saturday, and win our first BEAST tourney game (assuming 9-11 seed), we'll be just fine.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

willie wampum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2011, 08:56:12 PM »
My response to this is if Marquette were to have won last night, would Cinci have been left out? Under your logic, the answer to that question would be yes. And the obvious answer to someone on the outside looking in is no. We're all disappointed, and rightfully so. But, if we win on Saturday, and win our first BEAST tourney game (assuming 9-11 seed), we'll be just fine.

Sure, but if MU loses Saturday, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see MU left out of the tourney.

Too many people are taking a bid for granted.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2011, 08:59:29 PM »
Sure, but if MU loses Saturday, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see MU left out of the tourney.

Too many people are taking a bid for granted.

And too many people haven't actually looked at how soft the bubble is, and how good 9-9 in the Big East is compared to some of the conference records of teams projected in from crap conferences. [/shoutingintovacuum]

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
I'm not doing cartwheels, but if we get in with a team that was forced to go totally JUCO in its junior and senior classes because they were empty I think it's a solid accomplishment.

I made this same comment at the game the other night. It is a minor miracle that MU is as good as they are right now given the depleted roster Buzz was left with after season 1. In a very short period of time, he was able to cobble together a team that, while nothing special, is competitive with any team in the country.