Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Honestly Marq does not deserve to be in the NCAA Tourney  (Read 11340 times)

marquettewade3

• Walk-On
Re: Honestly Marq does not deserve to be in the NCAA Tourney
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »
As opposed to yours?

We are in the NCAA tournament.

If you don't think so, put your money where your mouth is.

We are in the NCAA Tournament huh?  That's news to me!  Congrats Marquette!!!  The committee doesn't want to put 11 big east teams in.  I feel like this was a must win, and now I think we need 2 Big East tourney wins to make it.  Even if we do make the tournament it's only going to take game one before we are bounced out!!

That my friend I would gladly put money on!

Go MU!

Come on man.  We're all upset we lost but where's the optimism?  Believe me, I appreciate you keeping it real, but realistically, we still have a shot.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
Email me sir, I'd be happy to meet up with you!  ;D

I prefer to do it in public so you don't welsh on your bet.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
We need to win at Seton Hall and at least 1 in the BEAST Tourney.  Two wins in the BEAST and we are in.  No margin for error till the end of the season though.

You do know that you're talking about one game, right?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JD

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:08 PM »
Come on man.  We're all upset we lost but where's the optimism?  Believe me, I appreciate you keeping it real, but realistically, we still have a shot.

I agree we have a shot, Trust me I want MU to win more than anybody.  I just wanted to bring an objective opinion in here for once, Instead of all the biased bull$hit i hear. :)
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:38 PM »
Barring MU winning the Big East Tournament, if the Warriors don't win Saturday, they'll get to the committee with 14 losses.

Saturday is a must-win. End of story.

This makes more sense than most things I have seen posted on the Scoop over last 2 months.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:48 PM »
You do know that you're talking about one game, right?
We know we are playing two more games in the BEAST.  One in regular season, one in the BEAST tourney.  Sorry for being confusing.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 09:27:11 PM »
Anybody who thinks different is oblivious to the facts.  I don't want to hear "Oh we'll we lost to only good teams, etc, etc"  I'm as big of a fan as they come, but we all need to be realistic.

Honestly, after tonight, I have a horrible feeling about the NCAAs.  9-9 is a pathetic record, it's very easy for the committee to turn that down.  And if we play like we did tonight, we won't win--against anyone.

You guys are aware that Cincinnati is the best defensive team in the Big East by far, right?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »
Settle down.  There is some bad, bad, bad basketball out there and some of it worse than MU.

Don't confuse making the tourney with Great Hoops.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 09:29:56 PM »
FWIW, in Pitt @ USF game, their saying Marquette has already played their way in with the win @Uconn.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »
This makes more sense than most things I have seen posted on the Scoop over last 2 months.

It is a must win, because 10-8 is a lock right now.  I think 10-8 without a BET win still might be good enough.  Win on Saturday and they should be pretty safe, way too many bubble teams under .500 right now for 10-8 not to be a real safe record.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »
Settle down.  There is some bad, bad, bad basketball out there and some of it worse than MU.

Don't confuse making the tourney with Great Hoops.

exactly.

I never said anything besides we would make the tourney.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:49 PM »
West Virginia has Louisville,Conn has Notre Dame and Villanova has Pitt.All could eaily lose there games.We win and we have 8th place and a first round bye

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 09:41:22 PM »
It is a must win, because 10-8 is a lock right now.  I think 10-8 without a BET win still might be good enough.  Win on Saturday and they should be pretty safe, way too many bubble teams under .500 right now for 10-8 not to be a real safe record.

+1  This year the BE really is the BEast.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
Sorry JD, but this is a "panic button" post.  If we're not getting in, have you considered the records/profiles of teams that would get in ahead of us? They're not pretty.  I think that Seton Hall is very close to must-win, but we're going to be favored in that game. Sucks that we lost tonight though, and didn't look good in the process.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 10:02:59 PM »
Tough loss, but really no shame in this one since Cincy has beaten Louisville and has road wins at St. John's and Georgetown.  As of right now, we are still in.  Just look at the competition.

My buddy is a Clemson fan and they are considered one of the first, if not the first team out of the tournament.  We still have a much better resume than they do (assuming they lose this game to Duke).  Before tonight, they had played only one team currently in the RPI top 25, UNC, and lost to them twice.  They also have losses to Virginia, NC State and South Carolina while we have no bad losses. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »
I agree we have a shot, Trust me I want MU to win more than anybody.  I just wanted to bring an objective opinion in here for once, Instead of all the biased bull$hit i hear. :)

And I want people to post educated opinions rather than just panicking every time we lose a game, instead of all the ignorant bull$hit I hear :)

But I don't get that, do I? Seriously, go look at some resumes of teams projected around the end of the bracket. Here's an idea of just how soft the bubble is. These are Lunardi's last 4 in, then I'll include our resume:

Richmond
Record: 22-7 (11-3)
RPI: 66
SOS: 139
kenpom: 59
Top 50 wins: 6 Purdue
Bad Losses: 179 Georgia Tech (also lost to 83 Bucknell at home that we beat)

Michigan
Record: 18-12 (8-9)
RPI: 60
SOS: 24
kenpom: 45
Top 50 wins: 42 Harvard, 49 Michigan State
Bad Losses: 100 Northwestern, 171 Indiana

Alabama
Record: 19-10 (11-4)
RPI: 87
SOS: 129
kenpom: 51
Top 50 wins: 12 Kentucky, 35 Tennessee
Bad Losses: 101 Seton Hall, 102 Arkansas, 124 St. Peter's, 149 Providence, 179 Iowa

Baylor
Record: 18-11 (7-8)
RPI: 78
SOS: 48
kenpom: 65
Top 50 wins: 29 Texas A&M (twice)
Bad Losses: 134 Iowa State, 137 Oklahoma, 162 Texas Tech

Marquette
Record: 18-12 (9-8)
RPI: 53
SOS: 30
kenpom: 26
Top 50 wins: 9 Notre Dame, 18 Connecticut, 19 West Virginia, 20 Syracuse
Bad Losses: None

So I asked you to look it up. Apparently you couldn't be bothered to do that. Well, I made it easy for you. These teams above are the last four projected to make the tournament. That means as of right now, they are in. Compare their resumes to ours. We have a better RPI than all of them. We have a better SOS than all but one of them. We have a better kenpom rating than all of them. We have more top 50 wins than any of them. We are clearly better in terms of bad losses. Even if we lose to Seton Hall we will still have better credentials than any of them. If we lose to Seton Hall and go on to lose to South Florida in the first round of the Big East tournament, that will still probably only give us one bad loss as Seton Hall would likely rise into the top 100 RPI by beating us, thus nullifying a bad loss.

And right now, there's probably another 8 teams that are considered to be "in the field" that still have a worse resume than we do. Compare us to teams like Washington, Illinois, Michigan State, Georgia, Butler, Gonzaga, and Tennessee and tell me that we're on the verge of dropping out. Do so with a straight face. If you have any remote sense of how logic works, you can't do it. If we don't make the tournament, even if we drop our next two games, it won't be because of merit, it will be because the Selection Committee really doesn't want 11 Big East teams in the Big Dance. Because even if we lose two games, there is no possible way in hell that there will be even 8 teams that make the tournament with better resumes than we have.

Do the research. Look into it. Don't just go pissing and whining because we lost one damn game. The bubble is soft. We are going to the NCAAs. Deal with it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

#MUBB

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2011, 10:52:32 PM »
I feel bad even responding to this nonsense thread but after we play Seton Hall could you please name me 68 teams who deserve to play in the NCAA Tourney ahead of us? Maybe you haven't been paying attention to any college basketball this year. If MU wins Saturday, we are a LOCK and fully deserve to be included in the top 68 teams in the country. What a bogus thread.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »
I feel bad even responding to this nonsense thread but after we play Seton Hall could you please name me 68 teams who deserve to play in the NCAA Tourney ahead of us? Maybe you haven't been paying attention to any college basketball this year. If MU wins Saturday, we are a LOCK and fully deserve to be included in the top 68 teams in the country. What a bogus thread.

Agree.

If we lose Saturday....then lose the first game in the BET....let's just say 9-9 I don't think "easily" gets us in if we also lose the first BET game.  We need to win Saturday and put any doubt out of reach.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »
So bottom line is if we win Sat. we're basically in no matter what goes on at BET?

#MUBB

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 11:07:50 PM »
So bottom line is if we win Sat. we're basically in no matter what goes on at BET?

Yes.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 11:09:11 PM »

Win Saturday or win the first game of the BET, we're a lock. Lose both and we'll be sweating bullets on Selection Sunday, but should still be in as an 11 seed, though possibly in a play-in game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 11:13:17 PM »

Bottom line, nobody knows.  Probably, but anyone that says we are a lock doesn't know for sure until Selection Sunday.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »

Remember there's something like 12 teams who will definitely not deserve to make the tourney ahead of us who will because they will have won the post season tournament for their crappy conference.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:48 AM »
Threads like this just piss me off. Maybe if you said "deserves to be on the bubble" I would be ok with that. But how can you say a team that has played our schedule and is still 9-9 in conference with 4 guys that played D1 minutes last year does not belong in the tournament.

Some fans seem like they think MU is a program with the caliber of Duke or UNC, based on how hard they are on Buzz and this team. With this schedule the season was never going to be pretty, much less a cake walk. Regardless of Gonzaga's ranking, this team does not have a bad loss and has beaten 4 teams that seem to be locks for the tournament and has played over half of the current top 25.

I get it that we don't like to lose, but come on.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »
Threads like this just piss me off. Maybe if you said "deserves to be on the bubble" I would be ok with that. But how can you say a team that has played our schedule and is still 9-9 in conference with 4 guys that played D1 minutes last year does not belong in the tournament.

Some fans seem like they think MU is a program with the caliber of Duke or UNC, based on how hard they are on Buzz and this team. With this schedule the season was never going to be pretty, much less a cake walk. Regardless of Gonzaga's ranking, this team does not have a bad loss and has beaten 4 teams that seem to be locks for the tournament and has played over half of the current top 25.

I get it that we don't like to lose, but come on.

We still have a chance to go 10-8.

"with 4 guys that played D1 minutes last year"

Our lack of experience won't and shouldn't be a factor in whether we make the tournament.