Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Screw Wisconsin  (Read 4809 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Screw Wisconsin
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
For a Freshman, he's steady and does a lot of the little things correctly.

Steady?  Come on now.  Thats like calling a QB a "good game manager".  Props to the kid for hitting the shot, but its not like he split 3 defenders for a thunder dunk.  I swear people think Vander would have thrown it 5 feet over the backboard in that situation.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:20 AM »
All this Gasser love is hilarious. The kid is a nice "system" player for Wisconsin. He'll never be anything more than that. Don't read that as an insult. The kid is seeing significant minutes as a freshman on a top 15 team. He's just not asked to do very much in those minutes.

I'm really looking forward to re-living these posts in a couple years when Gasser is still a nice system player at UW and Blue is All-Big East performer for MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Steady?  Come on now.  Thats like calling a QB a "good game manager".  Props to the kid for hitting the shot, but its not like he split 3 defenders for a thunder dunk.  I swear people think Vander would have thrown it 5 feet over the backboard in that situation.

Give me a break.  If Vander does tonight what Gasser did for Wisconsin last night, we would be falling all over ourselves with praise for Blue.  Give the kid a break.  He is the starting guard for a top 15 team in the country.  He wasn't even recruited by Wisconsin until Blue backed out of his commitment.  He may be a "system player," but he is performing better in his role than Blue would have been.

Seriously, you guys are hillarious.

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 09:50:10 AM »
His all around game? Let's not get carried away. Gasser is the classic Wisconsin role player who doesn't bring much to the table but doesn't take much off the table. 90% of the time he's invisible on the court...and I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. That's his job. He's a perfect fit at Wisconsin and, oddly enough, he'd be at best the 8-10th man for most other BCS teams.

I disagree with you about Gasser being a role play "who doesn't bring much to the table", I foresee his career to be more like that of a Tyrel Reed or a Brady Morningstar at KU.  Are they all-stars, no, but they are very solid players that win games.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
In 36 minutes, he shot 4 times, had 4 rebounds, ONE ASSIST, 5 pts, and a team high 3 turnovers. I'm sure he'll develop into a fine little player, but I honestly don't get the love.

This seems to be a typical line.

I've only seen the Badgers six times this season. Gasser hasn't made an impact on my mind in any of the games but I'm sure he'll develop into a thorn in everyone's side.

That said, he's a Frosh who's starting and he's laid down a triple double. Say what you will about competition, but that last accomplishment is impressive on any level in college ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »

I'd take a good game manager QB over a gunslinger that coughs up the ball 3 times a game.

Let's be real here, Bo Ryan isn't going to play a kid, let alone start him and the number of minutes this guy plays as a Freshman unless he is a fundamentally sound player, isn't hurting his team on the court, plays good defense, etc.  He just isn't going to do it.

I think Wisconsin is having a good season and certainly not struggling by having him in there.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »
I am sorry to bring this up, but as freshmen, I think Gasser is more impressive than that Hulls kid at Indiana was. And I think Hulls is a pretty good player.

The fact that Ryan had Gasser on the floor in that situation should tell you all you need to know. Blue would most certainly NOT be on the floor.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 12:31:30 PM »
I disagree with you about Gasser being a role play "who doesn't bring much to the table", I foresee his career to be more like that of a Tyrel Reed or a Brady Morningstar at KU.  Are they all-stars, no, but they are very solid players that win games.

Fair enough.

What is it that Gasser brings to the table?

VanderBabyBlue

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
I am sorry to bring this up, but as freshmen, I think Gasser is more impressive than that Hulls kid at Indiana was. And I think Hulls is a pretty good player.

The fact that Ryan had Gasser on the floor in that situation should tell you all you need to know. Blue would most certainly NOT be on the floor.

This I most certainly have to agree with.  His confidence is so pathetically low right now I’m not sure VB could even field the pass in that situation, much less get a decent shot off.  So frustrating for us, but must be 100 times more so for him.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »

Give me a break.  If Vander does tonight what Gasser did for Wisconsin last night, we would be falling all over ourselves with praise for Blue.  Give the kid a break.  He is the starting guard for a top 15 team in the country.  He wasn't even recruited by Wisconsin until Blue backed out of his commitment.  He may be a "system player," but he is performing better in his role than Blue would have been.

Seriously, you guys are hillarious.

Really? You don't think that Blue could be the fifth option on offense and play average D? Blue lost his confidence because he has been asked to do things for MU that he wasn't ready to do. Let me ask you this: How do you think Gasser would do in Blue's role on MU?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »
Really? You don't think that Blue could be the fifth option on offense and play average D? Blue lost his confidence because he has been asked to do things for MU that he wasn't ready to do. Let me ask you this: How do you think Gasser would do in Blue's role on MU?

I think both are in situations that uses their talents best.  Blue is a better fit for MU and Gasser is a better fit for UW.  We'll see how both grow and develop within each system.