Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Problems At The Point  (Read 4205 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Problems At The Point
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:15:05 AM »
Problems At The Point

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Tim Blair)

For the first time in nearly two decades, Marquette basketball has a point guard problem.

This is hard to believe for a program that, since 1992, has consecutively relied on the able skills and high basketball IQs of Tony Miller, Aaron Hutchins, Cordell Henry, Travis Diener, Dominic James and (gasp!)Maurice Acker.    Nevertheless, Marquette's run of excellence at the point is over and no relief is in sight.

While this year's team has a variety of issues with more emerging with each game played, the lack of a 'Traditional Marquette Point Guard' has cost the Warriors a chance at a handful of victories this season. This year MU surely leads the nation in last-second shots not taken, and the team's struggles to maintain large leads (and late leads) often boils down to poor decision-making and a lack of the appropriate skills for the moment.

The problems are not limited to only the very close games.  In the second half against Georgetown the offense endured a turnover rate of 24%, meaning MU coughed the ball up once every four times down the court.  The pattern continued against St. Johns where poor decision-making and turnovers doomed the Warriors.  All told, Marquette point guards combined for eight turnovers against the Johnnies and MU had a turnover rate of 25% for the game and 31% in the second half alone.

Dwight Buycks, forced to play out of position as this team's de-facto point guard, was strong out of the gate but his effectiveness has waned noticeably in recent weeks.  Still,   Buycks' selflessness and  his willingness to learn a new position nearly allowed MU to bridge from the "Golden Era of Marquette Point Guards" while not being one himself.  Unfortunately, this may be a bridge to nowhere.

Junior Cadougan, supported by incoming freshman Derrick Wilson, figures to be the starting point guard on next year's team. Still, the sophomore shows few signs of being the solid 30-35 mpg team leader the program needs.  Cadougan is an 'east to west' player who currently struggles to defend, struggles to challenge defenders off the bounce,  and is no threat to score.  While he is improving -- his A/TO ratio is very good -- the Toronto native is role player at a position where the program needs so much more.

Looking ahead, next season the Warriors will be loaded, returning two of the Big East's 10 best players in Jae Crowder and Darius Johnson-Odom.   Jamil Wilson figures to be one of the league's top newcomers and a full year of maturity for what will be a more veteran roster will pay dividends.

Perhaps Cadougan will channel Maurice Acker -- oft-maligned by yours truly heading into his senior season -- and step up his level of play to unexpectedly.  One can hope.

While it could be a reach, Buzz Williams could consider shifting Vander Blue to the point.  Blue is not a classic '2' and seems to be more of an 'Alpha Dog' - a guard who plays better with the ball in his hands, breaking down defenders off the dribble.  While this might be the kind of player Blue develops into, it would be a tall order to assume a lead role like this as a sophomore on a team that needs a savvy distributor who can shoot.  His development at this position might depend on how Buzz uses the final two available scholarships for next season.

What about the bigs?  Game by game (year by year?), Marquette fans lament the program's lack of skilled big men, believing that more bigs means more wins. However as Pudner pointed out and Rosiak noted earlier this week, Marquette in good shape on the baseline. Chris Otule continues made great strides and freshman Davante Gardner also shows great promise.  Few big men dominate offensively or defensively so a core of serviceable big men is a more realistic and attainable strategy for most high-major programs.

Who knew the strength of the program would shift to the front court in just a matter of months.

Without a natural point guard who has the basketball intellect to make good decisions consistently, the ability to set up his teammates, and the skill to score, the team is at a disadvantage.  Buzz Williams has two open scholarships for next year's squad and must find a way to improve at the point or risk running a rudderless but talented bunch out onto the court next season.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2011/02/problems-at-point.html

mug644

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Problems At The Point
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:24:09 AM »
Any possibility of Buzz grooming Vander for the point? It might be a way "hide" his jump shot deficiencies if he focuses on being a passer and/or someone who can get in the lane and either finish in traffic (though he's really there yet, either) or dump it off/kick it out.

Might be helpful to Blue's NBA prospects too, though I am never a fan of playing someone out of position for their current team just to help out their future pro plans.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:39:17 AM »
If Blue made good decisions, good passes and did not turn the ball over he could play the point.  Can't say I have seen those qualities of any consistency (an actually a bit more of a rarity).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:45:27 AM by NCMUFan »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:47:31 AM »
This is the position where I would really like to see a JUCO added to the 2011 recruiting class, even more so than I would like God's Gift.

The top JUCO point guard is Sam Grooms, who comes from Chipola JC, the same place former Marquette target Steadman Short went. Grooms has led his team to a current #4 national ranking among JUCOs. Sounds like he has good speed, though his numbers this year aren't overwhelming, averaging 8.1 ppg and 3 apg. He's getting interest from Louisville, Kansas, and UNC, with UNC a likely leader as the kid is from Greensboro.

Another highly-rated JUCO comes from one of our new recruiting grounds in California, Antonio Biglow. He scores a lot, but seems to have the right mindset and mentality to run the point. Here's an article I found on him: http://isairochasports.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html

Brandon Thompson is another name I've seen out there, he was originally an Arizona State recruit. He's a Texas kid currently at South Plains CC, averaging 11.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, and 2.9 apg. Here's his original ESPN 2009 profile: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/43002/brandon-thompson

However, the best name of the available JUCO points I saw was Widgett Washington, who also has a tremendous stat line this season of 24.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 7.5 apg, and 3.0 spg while boasting a 2.5/1 A/T ratio. I highly doubt he'd replicate that at this level, but those are certainly some eye-popping numbers for the kid from Northeastern JC in Colorado.

I think that if Buzz looked into any of those guys, we'd instantly be one of the front-runners. Our proven history with JUCO players and willingness to give them time right off the bat is something that hasn't been missed nationwide.

In addition, there is one other kid who's already on our radar. 2011 recruit Cezar Guerrero is another California guy who is mostly regarded as a 3-star prospect, but comes in as high as #61 nationally by Rivals. He's got blazing speed, but it sounds like he might be a bit erratic and flashy with the ball at times, leading to turnovers. According to Scout, we are in on him, though have yet to make an offer, which may be why neither ESPN nor Rivals list our interest.

Either way, we have two scholarships left and not a lot of time to fill them. Here's hoping that all those trips on the recruiting trail for Buzz include someone who can help us at the one.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:50:47 AM »
Cadougan is our best option at point next year.  It's not looking like a great option, but it is definately the best one.  Blue is a back up at best.  DWill shouldn't be counted on to provide much.

Going back to an earlier issue, IF Junior is our point, Buzz *must* change his defensive philosophy.  Junior simply cannot do what Buzz wants his guards to do on the defensive end.

And brewcity, thank you very much for the JUCO point guard run-down.  I agree with you that I would rather go with a JUCO point than a JUCO big.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:54:32 AM »
I did not attend the Pro-Am games this summer...I just have to again ask, what is it that Scoopers saw over the summer in Junior that they are not seeing from him now in Buzz's system?  It is perplexing as the reports were so glowing as to his scoring, playmaking and distributing--dismissing these were pick-up games, etc.  Obviously, many saw that Caddy fit the MU PG profile.  

Not picking on the cred of posters--just wondering why he looks so lost now when he was the stud among peers this summer?  Has the "Buzz Handcuffs" shaken his psyche? Is he really this overmatched? Did the injury really limit him?  

Personally, Buzz has him playing an Acker role within the motion offense dependent on ball movement through the paint and I feel he is a much better PG with the ball in his hands, like DJ under TC.  Buzz changed DJ's game senior year and it was good for the team but not good for DJ, just like he is changing Dwight's.  Similar case here?  I think the promise is still there for Junior with more experience and maturity.

Next season, is Wilson a possible Point Forward at times?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »
Blackheart, my guess is that the quality of play made Junior look better than he actually is.  The BE is obviously much faster and stronger than what occured over the summer.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 08:05:16 AM »
I find the get of the 3 Amigos amazing in that except for Wes's 1st year injury, they all started from day one on campus and played to the upper levels of BEAST talent.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 08:10:39 AM »
This is the position where I would really like to see a JUCO added to the 2011 recruiting class, even more so than I would like God's Gift.

Either way, we have two scholarships left and not a lot of time to fill them. Here's hoping that all those trips on the recruiting trail for Buzz include someone who can help us at the one.

Agreed that Buzz has to go JUCO to fill the PG gap .... Another option could be Jeremy Jones of Seward CC.  He played high school ball at Simeon and is having a great season at Seward. KState is presumed to be the leader

http://tinyurl.com/4myyokg

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 08:18:30 AM »
Let's not swing all of a sudden and pretend we don't still have needs at the four position.  We still are not a great defensive rebounding team.  Neither Otule or Gardner have proven they are consistent defensive rebounders.

I still think a top priority next year is a true '4' (not like Crowder playing out of position from the '3') who can really rebound and play defense and is ready to play day one next year (i.e. prolly not a freshmen).

Even if Gardner and Otule average 35 minutes a game next year and Crowder averages 25 minutes at the four position (my guess is he slides to the '3' for a few minutes a game too) that leaves 20 minutes a game open at the 4-5 positions.

Erik Williams, in a perfect world, would fit that bill but I am not sure he could guard and rebound over Big East power forwards for 20 minutes a game.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 08:19:42 AM »
I am hoping Buzz only recruits one more player next year as MU is in the secondary phase
of recruiting, for 2012 he only has one scholarship available, assuming he wants Tokoto, then
he is through.  Still need a big for 2012 as Crowder is gone.  I am hoping there is no transfers
for a change.  Buzz only plays 8-9 players so do you really do not need a 13 man roster?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »
I did not attend the Pro-Am games this summer...I just have to again ask, what is it that Scoopers saw over the summer in Junior that they are not seeing from him now in Buzz's system?  It is perplexing as the reports were so glowing as to his scoring, playmaking and distributing--dismissing these were pick-up games, etc.  Obviously, many saw that Caddy fit the MU PG profile.  

Not picking on the cred of posters--just wondering why he looks so lost now when he was the stud among peers this summer?  Has the "Buzz Handcuffs" shaken his psyche? Is he really this overmatched? Did the injury really limit him?  

Personally, Buzz has him playing an Acker role within the motion offense dependent on ball movement through the paint and I feel he is a much better PG with the ball in his hands, like DJ under TC.  Buzz changed DJ's game senior year and it was good for the team but not good for DJ, just like he is changing Dwight's.  Similar case here?  I think the promise is still there for Junior with more experience and maturity.

Next season, is Wilson a possible Point Forward at times?

First of all, here's what I had to say about JC after heading out to Homestead:

Junior Cadougan: Looks every bit the prototype floor general. Drives and kicks well, and sees the court very well. He's not exceptionally quick, especially when compared to our other guards, but I could see him starting simply because he coordinates the offense and can get into the lane.

After looking at some of my other comments from the same post, some of it made me chuckle. Gardner good under the basket but getting lost on defense, Otule decent early on but got better as the game went along (microcosm of his season), Blue's jumper needs work but he's got plenty of athleticism, in general, I felt okay with my analysis looking back.

Cadougan's the one that stood out. Here's my opinion as to why. The Pro-Am was obviously a lot of street-type ball. Not as structured, more high-pace and high-flying. That's why Buycks and Fulce were so fun to play, they could just let their offense and athleticism hang out. The day I was there, Buycks was channeling MJ with his cocky, confident demeanor. And through the event, Cadougan was named MVP. So why did he look so good then? My simple answer would be structure.

He is a true point guard, and we've seen elements of his Pro-Am play this season. Likes to drive the lane when he's trying to create offense. Sees the court well, some of his passes this year have been amazing. Not exceptionally quick, which we all knew. But because he was focusing on coordinating the team's offense, he looked like he was the puppet master out there. The problem is the lack of defense. Cadougan looked great because he was allowed to do everything he does well without being challenged. When you get to the regular season, you're going to be defended, the lane will close down quicker, the pressure will be tighter, the passing lanes will only be open for a moment, and in that moment, you better be accurate. In the Pro-Am, all of those conditions simply weren't there.

As much as it was playground and flash, Cadougan played in control because that's what he does best, and as he was often the only guy on the court playing like that, he really stood out. But against a high-intensity defense, that's simply not enough. You don't stand out in the Big East simply for playing a smart, controlled game. You need to thread every pass accurately, drive a crowded lane and still find time to dish, and be able to finish, which even back in summer he wasn't showing a particular knack for doing. His lack of scoring offense was evident even in the Pro-Am, but it didn't kill him because people didn't D him up harder because of it. At this level, when they know you aren't a threat to score, it's easier to apply the pressure D even harder, which makes all of those aforementioned qualities even more difficult to display.

As far as next year...lord, it's tough to say. Could Cadougan morph into the kind of point we need? I have to believe the answer is yes. We know he can see the floor well, we know he can make the tough pass. He needs to improve his jumper, even getting a range out to 12 feet, and needs to finish better on his lay-ups. But this being his first full season, I could see him being able to make vast improvements in terms of scoring, even if just getting to the point where we can rely on him for 8-10 ppg, enough to keep the defenses honest. He's shown flashes, he just needs to be consistent.

I still think Buzz should be looking for a JUCO PG for next year. We haven't had a true 4-5 combo in the middle since...well...Robert Jackson and Scott Merritt in the Final Four year, I guess. While I'd like a 4 like God's Gift to be able to run with our emerging center pairing, we've made the tourney for the past 6 years because we've had consistent guard play, not because of our frontcourt. Without consistent guard play, we won't go anywhere. We can get by with Otule and Gardner at the 5, and Wilson, Crowder, Williams, Anderson, and Jones splitting the 3 and 4, especially with the number of 3-guard sets we run. Right now, a PF would be a luxury, but having a solid PG is a need. Hopefully it can be Cadougan, but if not, no harm in hedging our bets with a JUCO recruit.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
Thanks Brew...great recap.  If Junior could hit a few treys, his world would open up.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »
Thanks Brew...great recap.  If Junior could hit a few treys, his world would open up.

and/or develop a solid mid-range game

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »
and/or develop a solid mid-range game

Agreed. If he could develop something around a 12-15 foot jumper, ideally a pull-up but even a set-shot would help, just enough so that his only move wasn't the driving lay-up he'd improve his offense immeasurably. And maybe enough range to hit 25% from three. It's nowhere near great, but right now all a defender has to do is prevent the drive and clog the passing lanes. It really hinders his effectiveness as an offensive player.

MUSkins

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 02:02:29 PM »
Excellent stuff, brew. It's all on point. There's no mistaking that Junior can get to the rack, and that's why I think he can be The Guy going forward. Becoming a decent shooter can be accomplished simply through hard work and long hours. But being able to drive like he's show flashes of, that's a deeper skill. So hit that gym, Junior, and I think we'll have 2 years of solid PG play. (Defense still needs plenty of work, however.)

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
Highlights of high school games on youtube can be deceiving, but could Juan Anderson handle the ball?  He looks like he has incredible court vision with some of the passes he makes. 

If DJO/Vander can defend the PG position, because I assume Juan Anderson would have to guard the wing as this would be too tough of a transition on both ends, maybe it could work.

Has anyone seen Juan play or know enough about him to know if he can play PG on offense?

I do think that Vander should get some looks at PG.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 03:17:57 PM »
This is a good and thoughtful conversation.  

Tim and I have a difference of opinion on this subject.  While I don't dispute that PG is a weakness for the first time in ages, I am not yet convinced that a better point guard fixes the problem.

First, a better point guard does not /really/ fix Marquette's defense.  Enough said on that.  That's problem #1.

Second, while defense has been the big concern, what's been troubling is seeing the scary infographic in several games lately.  You know the one... "Marquette has gone XXX minutes without a FG".  Or is it... "MU has been outscored 30-10 during this run"?  Anyways, what is clear is that offense is stagnating lately too.  Four of our last six games are sub 1.00 ppp games.  That's problem #2.

Does a better PG prevent our offense from stagnating?  I'd approach it from two different ways.

Theory #1 - a better point guard protects the ball more.  In favor of this idea... MU was bad with the ball against SJU and really sloppy in the 2H against GU.  Against this theory... MU has been pretty solid protecting the ball all season long, even recently.  In conference play, Marquette has only two games with higher than average turnover rate.

Theory #2 - a better point guard helps the team shoot more efficiently.  Five of our last six games have had a sub 50% eFG%.  We average 53%.  Here are the most egregious offenders for the last six games.

SJU - Buycks (1-6), Crowder (4-10), DJO (4-10)
@GU - Buycks (2-8), DJO (7-17), Crowder (2-7)
@USF - Butler (5-13), Vander (1-9), Buycks (2-7)
@Nova - DJO (7-21), Buycks (3-8)
UConn - Crowder (4-13)

Yeah, Buycks' name shows up there a lot.  sigh.  But does Buycks make DJO, Butler, or Crowder shoot better?  Don't know...
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Henry, are the defenses playing us differently?  I notice that we get the entry pass a lot easier than we were earlier in the year.  Also Buycks is getting hedged on pretty much every screen so he cant take that shot off the screen that he likes so much.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »
I did not attend the Pro-Am games this summer...I just have to again ask, what is it that Scoopers saw over the summer in Junior that they are not seeing from him now in Buzz's system?  

I was very impressed by Junior at the Pro Am and thought we would have no problems at PG this year.   Junior drove to the hoop at will and finished most of the time.  Because he drove so well he was able to set up some nice dishes.  But honestly he mostly got to the rim, something he almost never does now.  Even in the Pro Am he didn't shoot much from 3 pt.
As to why he took so long to progress this year that is a mystery to me is well.  Some of it is just the fact that there was almost no team defense played at the Pro Am and you didn't have to contend with Big East centers in the lane.  That said I wonder if Buzz didn't screw up Junior's confidence with his starting Reggie and kind of these “make Junior earn it” head games.  Junior has progressed and had he gotten many more minutes in the Non-con and built his confidence there he might be further along now.  Also as others have said in this thread Junior may not be quick enough to play the defense Buzz wants.  Obviously the whole team continues to have problems with rotating to the right place and doing it quickly.  Whether you think Buzz’s defense works or not he plays the guys who play defense.  Junior may be so worried about playing defense that it effects his offense.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »
How many quality point guards are freshmen? It takes at least a full year of playing the point in a quality conference for almost all guys. That's why I feel it would be a bad idea to think we can grab a JC point and expect much success. And if we're counting on 3 star Wilson to hit the ground running at MU, look at our benchwarmers and think about our expectations for them as freshmen.

Right now Cadougan is on pace to have a decent year considering how little he played last year. Best case scenario is for Blue to become PG next year. Both he and Junior must improve their offense  next year but if neither is a full time PG in 2011-12, this team will have serious problems.
Players win awards but teams win championships