collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Boeheim goes off on media (and fans)  (Read 1557 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Boeheim goes off on media (and fans)
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:46:02 AM »
Funny to read considering all of Boeheims achievement's.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised Buzz is catching all the hell he does around here.  Sad commentary on where we are as a society.  Also shows coaches do take criticism personally - like most human beings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6125111

"Yeah, it's personal. When people write and say things about me, it's personal to me ... always will be when people make personal attacks on me with no balance. I don't think it's ever good to take a snapshot. I don't think that's how you judge people, or coaches, or players, but that's the way it's done around here. Doesn't mean I'm going to like it. Doesn't mean I'm gonna stand here and let it go because when I let things go like that, it will be time for me to leave."

I don't want credit. I never have. I want the players to get the credit. I'll take the blame. That's what I'm paid for. Our fans? All I care about is that they watch us, come to the games, and support us. They can have any opinion they want as long as they support us."
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Boeheim goes off on media (and fans)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:35:43 PM »
Funny to read considering all of Boeheims achievement's.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised Buzz is catching all the hell he does around here.  Sad commentary on where we are as a society.  Also shows coaches do take criticism personally - like most human beings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6125111

"Yeah, it's personal. When people write and say things about me, it's personal to me ... always will be when people make personal attacks on me with no balance. I don't think it's ever good to take a snapshot. I don't think that's how you judge people, or coaches, or players, but that's the way it's done around here. Doesn't mean I'm going to like it. Doesn't mean I'm gonna stand here and let it go because when I let things go like that, it will be time for me to leave."

I don't want credit. I never have. I want the players to get the credit. I'll take the blame. That's what I'm paid for. Our fans? All I care about is that they watch us, come to the games, and support us. They can have any opinion they want as long as they support us."

Query then, all the blasting of other MU coaches in the past....is that also fit in here?   Seems odd that you are saying this when so many people here are in defense mode are also the same people that were screaming about the previous guy.  Odd.

PS  Not saying you were one of those guys as I don't recall you specifically being one, but I can name 10 to 20 here very quickly.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »
It really is a crazy, crazy job.  In the top jobs you are paid boatloads of money, get treated like royalty and are idolized by huge fan bases.  They ask for your autograph, line up to shake your hand, chant your name and practically worship the ground you walk on.  And then if you fail to live up to their unrealistic expectations, they call for your head, curse your name and threaten to boycott the program.  And as the HOF coach Boeheim illustrates, this is not unique to Marquette.

One of the things that makes sports so enjoyable (college sports in particular) is how passionate the fans are.  Unfortunately, passionate people often are idiots.

My son is talking more and more about how he would like to be a college basketball coach some day.  He loves basketball and I think he's got a lot of traits that would make him a great coach (much better than he will ever be as a player).  As much as I'd love him to achieve all of his dreams in life, I really kind of hope he eventually picks another path.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »
Query then, all the blasting of other MU coaches in the past....is that also fit in here?   Seems odd that you are saying this when so many people here are in defense mode are also the same people that were screaming about the previous guy.  Odd.

PS  Not saying you were one of those guys as I don't recall you specifically being one, but I can name 10 to 20 here very quickly.

I don't know a whole lot about the past of MUScoop prior to 2009, but I do know on my initial arrival here I thought TC got a lot of undue criticism - and commented as much.  I by no means was a TC hater, and did have gratitude for his accomplishments at MU. Where you and I have gotten into things is when it seems you are holding Buzz to a higher/double standard than you did TC.

I'm never a fan of being critical of a coach who consistently takes you to NCAA tourney's or NFL playoff appearances.  I'd be happy with NCAA's at MU 7 out of 10 years - just as TC accomplished.  I still feel Buzz can lead MU to a deep run in the tourney..and sooner than later.  This current season is not yet over..we may still sneak in the NCAA's..

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

feedback