collapse

* Recent Posts

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:20:49 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mubarak relinquishes power  (Read 5844 times)

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
Re: Mubarak relinquishes power
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 05:32:05 PM »
Gone is Mubarek,
What's left for Egypt's future,
Muslim Brotherhood?
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »
From one Israeli newspaper

Sure, sure. This has been Mubarak's excuse for clutching onto power for decades. Stunning that a dictator forced out by a pro-Democracy movement says the movement is doomed to fail.

I guess some people in that part of the world (Iraqis, Afghanis, etc.) are thirsting for political freedom and, gosh darnit, we're going to give it to them.
Others, like Egyptians, aren't quite up to the task of making decisions for themselves, I guess.
Apparently the only chance of successful self-governance in the Middle East is when another nation imposes it on them.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
From one Israeli newspaper

Maybe if the cornerstone of our Middle East policy wasn't unconditional support of Israel then Muslim Extremism wouldn't dislike us?

Nah - that'd be crazy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »
Maybe if the cornerstone of our Middle East policy wasn't unconditional support of Israel then Muslim Extremism wouldn't dislike us?

Nah - that'd be crazy.

You don't think we should support the only true democracy in the Middle East?  What should we do then in our actions toward Israel?  I hear some people say we should just walk away...what say you?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 11:50:49 PM »
You don't think we should support the only true democracy in the Middle East?  What should we do then in our actions toward Israel?  I hear some people say we should just walk away...what say you?

I see that trap you are setting.

I can't imagine it is going to take this thread anywhere but down la crappier.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »

some people just don't realize the historical, political and even biblical implications

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »
Ari..agree.  Yet some people think i'm setting a trap.   ::)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 02:36:44 PM »
some people just don't realize the historical, political and even biblical implications

You're right, if Israel falls, the world comes to an end.

No one is attacking Israel as long as they have nukes.

bottom line.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
You're right, if Israel falls, the world comes to an end.

No one is attacking Israel as long as they have nukes.

bottom line.

No one is attacking the United States, as long as we have nukes.

bottom line

OOPS

I don't agree with you at all on this Hards.  All it takes is a few rogue groups to do something really stupid without the backing of a nation state (or even with the backing) to fulfill some crazy religious prophecy.  Quite frankly, an attack on Israel could lead to WWIII and then all bets are off.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
I don't really care about the one true democracy in the middle east, because it gives us nothing strategically.  Supporting states just because they are democracies is exceedingly stupid.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »
I don't really care about the one true democracy in the middle east, because it gives us nothing strategically.  Supporting states just because they are democracies is exceedingly stupid.

You don't think having an ally in the middle of one of the richest oil regions in the world is not a strategic advantage for us?  Let alone the critical water ways (Red Sea, Mediterranean Sea).  Keeping Israel protected seems to be one of the few bipartisan things that both parties of power have believed is the right thing to do for 60+ years

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 08:51:45 PM »
You don't think having an ally in the middle of one of the richest oil regions in the world is not a strategic advantage for us?  Let alone the critical water ways (Red Sea, Mediterranean Sea).  Keeping Israel protected seems to be one of the few bipartisan things that both parties of power have believed is the right thing to do for 60+ years

The only reason both parties agree with this is because of $$$.

It is ridiculously dumb to have an ally in an oil rich region that has no oil...and are enemies of the countries with the oil.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »

The only reason both parties agree with this is because of $$$.

It is ridiculously dumb to have an ally in an oil rich region that has no oil...and are enemies of the countries with the oil.

Money is certainly one reason, but it's by far not the only reason

reinko

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »
Anyone trying to really argue for or against the USA's policy toward Israel and the middle east in a matter of sentences just needs to stop.  It's borderline offensive to simply it within about 35 words.

feedback