[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UW Football still not over TCU loss...  (Read 5028 times)

JWags85

• All American
UW Football still not over TCU loss...
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »
This story just amazes me...

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=6106632

How arrogant of UW.  If it was a home and home, I completely understand and approve.  But the pompousness to offer a single game, in Madison, to a team that just beat you has to make you laugh.

GGGG

• All American
Re: UW Football still not over TCU loss...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
I think you need to look at this a little more closely.

TCU and UW both had their previously scheduled opponents pull out of a game on September 3.  A "third-party" (probably ESPN) approached both schools about playing this game in Madison as part of some kickoff-classic.  UW said yes.  TCU said no.

It kind of takes the sting out of the bitching and moaning that these schools do about not getting games.  Furthermore,  TCU hosted Oregon State in a kickoff type game last year in Cowboys Stadium and aren't giving them a return game.  I guess they'd rather just be whiney hypocrites.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »
What I want to know is why Madison was picked as the site.  When you're the low-seed (or challenger), isn't it customary to meet the other guy on his turf?

Nevertheless, I doubt that ESPN was the intermediary.  If a broadcaster was indeed the third-party, my money is on the BTN, not ESPN.  BTN isn't going to let ESPN waltz into its territory and produce a game like this.

If so, I can't fault a team for turning down a rematch being played at the loser's stadium, on the loser's network, with no return trip or a guarantee that probably isn't much better than what they could get from another BCS team closer to home.

Additionally, when's the last time a BCS team played a guarantee-game at another BCS school?  Not only is TCU is moving to the Big East, they don't need to rely on guarantee games.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »
What I want to know is why Madison was picked as the site.  When you're the low-seed (or challenger), isn't it customary to meet the other guy on his turf?

Because Camp Randall is larger and would generate more $$$.

And let me add, that in the world of college football, soon to be BE teams are very much the challenger to the B10.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:28:13 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »

And let me add, that in the world of college football, soon to be BE teams are very much the challenger to the B10.

...unless that soon to be BE team just beat that team in a BCS bowl in their last game of the season. You would honestly consider TCU the challenger? That's pretty ridiculous.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:48:40 PM »
...unless that soon to be BE team just beat that team in a BCS bowl in their last game of the season. You would honestly consider TCU the challenger? That's pretty ridiculous.

That's college football for ya.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:50:56 PM »

Agreed.

Coming on the heels of beating Wisconsin there is no need for TCU to succumb to a game in Madison. They're not hypocrites and they're not whining in this situation. They turned down an offer that provided them with little incentive to accept. Nothing wrong with that.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 01:54:42 PM »
You guys are nuts.

This game should be at Madison, hands down.

I realize the Anti-Bucky bias of this board, I just didn't think it was this big.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
I know it's a different sport, but I find this kinda funny.

The UW fans that berated MU for "ducking" UWM in hoops are now upset that TCU won't play them in football.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:41:15 PM »
TCU has ZERO incentive to play this game at Madison...I just love how Bretty Boy is trying to spin this as they were all in but TCU declined, such Jack Tards up there in Liberal Country

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
TCU has ZERO incentive to play this game at Madison...I just love how Bretty Boy is trying to spin this as they were all in but TCU declined, such Jack Tards up there in Liberal Country

Zero incentive.

What are you smoking.

Had TCU actually played someone in their non-conference schedule and won, they'd have been playing for the National Championship instead of the Rose Bowl.

Take the blinders off and think before typing.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »

Had TCU actually played someone in their non-conference schedule and won, they'd have been playing for the National Championship instead of the Rose Bowl.

True.

This argument definately has merit. But only assuming that TCU doesnt schedule another BCS team. I think they shouldnt have ruled it out so quickly - rather play the field and use it as leverage to maybe get another school into their place?

On a side note, i think scheduling for College FB is an absolutely nightmare. haha.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:28:02 PM »

Teabagging Brett's rodents isn't enough? Maybe if it was moved to a neutral field or something?
I'll concede that w/o a home and home or likely on the BTN, there's little incentive to beat a team you already beat

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »
"Now, had Ohio State -- whose president, E. Gordon Gee, famously had chided non-BCS conference teams such as TCU for playing schedules littered with the "Little Sisters of the Poor" -- been the Big Ten team seeking a late schedule change, Del Conte said he would have been all ears.

"Oh yeah," he said, "of course."

If I was OSU or E. Gordon Gee, I would immediately offer this game and make the TCU jagoff stand by his words.   Turns down UW but then pop-offs saying hewould take a game with OSU.  I might not like Bucky, but that is being a dbag...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »

But they didn't.

And despite the doubters, the small Christian school from Texas still beat the flagship school of Wisconsin at a neutral site.

In a way, "that" was their "National Championship."
SS Marquette

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »
But they didn't.

And despite the doubters, the small Christian school from Texas still beat the flagship school of Wisconsin at a neutral site.

In a way, "that" was their "National Championship."

yes, it was a great moral victory.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »
Zero incentive.

What are you smoking.

What are YOU smoking?  So had TCU won at OSU last season in their nonconference schedule you honestly think they would have played in the National Championship over Oregon or Auburn?  I'm sorry, but get a clue.  There is NO way that they would have been in the National Championship, no matter who they played in their nonconference schedule, unless one or both of those teams were Oregon and Auburn, thus making those teams NOT undefeated.  They could have played Stanford, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin (all 1 loss teams and numbers 4-7 in the rankings) and beaten every one of them and as long as Oregon and Auburn were still undefeated those two teams were matching up in the National Championship.  Let's face it, TCU plays in the MWC, while Auburn and Oregon play in the SEC and Pac-10, respectively.  No matter who non-BCS teams play non-conference, if BCS conference teams go undefeated (unless MAYBE it is out of the Big East) the BCS conference team is going to the National Championship over the non-BCS team.

So no, there is no incentive to play this game for TCU.  Had Oregon or Auburn lost a regular season game last year TCU is in the National Championship.  Had they not (which they didn't), they weren't.  Regardless of who those teams played in nonconference.  It's as simple as that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »
If I was OSU or E. Gordon Gee, I would immediately offer this game and make the TCU jagoff stand by his words.   Turns down UW but then pop-offs saying hewould take a game with OSU.  I might not like Bucky, but that is being a dbag...

Except that Ohio St. wants no part of playing TCU, especially with Pryor, etc suspended for the first half of the season.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:18 AM »
This is exactly right.  As a non-BCS conference team, TCU benefits more from multiple seasons of success.  They would not have been in the BCS championship last year no matter who they played out of conference.  If they play and beat Wisconsin next year and went undefeated, they most likely wouldn't either.  But they'd make a BCS bowl.  If they lost at Wisconsin, they're not going to get a BCS bowl no matter how they do the rest of the year.  If they don't play at Wisconsin, and go undefeated, they probably will get a BCS bowl, and more money.   What would you do if you were TCU.

College football is screwed up.  But don't blame TCU for looking out for their best interests.  UW had their chance to beat them on the big stage, and they didn't.  TCU isn't obligated to give them a second chance.  In fact they have nothing to gain by it, and everything to lose.

What are YOU smoking?  So had TCU won at OSU last season in their nonconference schedule you honestly think they would have played in the National Championship over Oregon or Auburn?  I'm sorry, but get a clue.  There is NO way that they would have been in the National Championship, no matter who they played in their nonconference schedule, unless one or both of those teams were Oregon and Auburn, thus making those teams NOT undefeated.  They could have played Stanford, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin (all 1 loss teams and numbers 4-7 in the rankings) and beaten every one of them and as long as Oregon and Auburn were still undefeated those two teams were matching up in the National Championship.  Let's face it, TCU plays in the MWC, while Auburn and Oregon play in the SEC and Pac-10, respectively.  No matter who non-BCS teams play non-conference, if BCS conference teams go undefeated (unless MAYBE it is out of the Big East) the BCS conference team is going to the National Championship over the non-BCS team.

So no, there is no incentive to play this game for TCU.  Had Oregon or Auburn lost a regular season game last year TCU is in the National Championship.  Had they not (which they didn't), they weren't.  Regardless of who those teams played in nonconference.  It's as simple as that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »

More $$$ for who?

Honestly, I don't think TCU was offered anything more than a standard "guarantee" fee to play this game.  Face it... this game would be much more valuable to UW and the Mysterious Third Party - regardless of where the game is played - than it would be to TCU.  So why should TCU be bending over backwards to put more $$$ into the pockets of other people?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
You guys are nuts.

This game should be at Madison, hands down.

I realize the Anti-Bucky bias of this board, I just didn't think it was this big.

I have to say, you are 99% one of the smartest guys on this board but I don't follow your logic on this at all.  Why on earth should TCU play this game in Madison?  Makes ZERO SENSE on EVERY LEVEL. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 11:52:02 PM »
I have to say, you are 99% one of the smartest guys on this board but I don't follow your logic on this at all.  Why on earth should TCU play this game in Madison?  Makes ZERO SENSE on EVERY LEVEL. 

For one, it removes the 'you didn't play anyone' stigma.

and thanks for the compliment that I am not sure I deserve!

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 12:34:18 AM »
Except that Ohio St. wants no part of playing TCU, especially with Pryor, etc suspended for the first half of the season.

True, but TCU would've had their chance vs OSU in 2009, but they decided to back out of it.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »
UW did not offer, as is often a custom, a home and home 2 game series. this was the deal breaker-- and it was reasonable for TCU to decline.

As Kelly Whitehead of USA Today reported:
...."According to TCU's director of media relations Mark Cohen, TCU wasn't contacted directly by Wisconsin.

"We never talked to Wisconsin," Cohen said."A third party was trying to set up game and it was a one-game only in Madison and we don't do that. We want to do a home-and-home with people. It doesn't fit our scheduling philosophy so it never really got that far."

Which means the Badgers won't get their shot during the regular season anytime soon, unless they agree on a trip to Fort Worth just like Baylor, Oklahoma, Virginia, LSU and Arkansas have done in coming seasons...."

Imagine Oregon telling Auburn to come to Eugene, and reprise the natl champ game, but refusing in the following year to go to Auburn to return, and square up on the financial benefits. Would one say Auburn is "Ducking" Oregon--lol?
OR..

had the Badgers won the Rose Bowl, would Bielema have been eager to play a one-game mulligan this season in Fort Worth.

If UW re pitches the rematch, as a 2 year home and home, TCU deserves criticism for refusal of the game, but until then....TCU, the Rose Bowl champ, is  in the right.

UW-- The saying is not ..."to the LOSER go the spoils"

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »

So if TCU wants a piece of Indiana or Northwestern they'll have to go to Bloomington or Evanston to prove they're "worthy"? That's pretty funny.

feedback