collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennessee player violated NCAA rules  (Read 2154 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
Tennessee player violated NCAA rules
« on: January 25, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
I read this yesterday and this morning got me to thinking... is it an NCAA violation if a basketball player (of age) were in a bar and someone bought him a shot? Could that be construed as a benefit granted due to one's status as an athlete?

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/tennessee-hot-water-again-time-over-music-video

Earlier today it was first reported that Woolridge had filmed a music video on Saturday at a local bar without having to pay for using the area. That act could be construed as a NCAA violation (impermissible benefit granted due to one’s status as an athlete) that would not be unlike what happened to Jacob Pullen and Curtis Kelly a little over a month ago for getting discounted clothing.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Tennessee player violated NCAA rules
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:40:40 AM »
Similar to the Vanderbilt player that got suspended for buying a parking pass from another student. 

NCAA gets more ridiculous every day.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
I read this yesterday and this morning got me to thinking... is it an NCAA violation if a basketball player (of age) were in a bar and someone bought him a shot? Could that be construed as a benefit granted due to one's status as an athlete?

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/tennessee-hot-water-again-time-over-music-video

Earlier today it was first reported that Woolridge had filmed a music video on Saturday at a local bar without having to pay for using the area. That act could be construed as a NCAA violation (impermissible benefit granted due to one’s status as an athlete) that would not be unlike what happened to Jacob Pullen and Curtis Kelly a little over a month ago for getting discounted clothing.

Snap, we might need to void the 2002-2003 season.  Sorry guys.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »
Well, yes, buying a shot for your favorite student-athlete could be a violation. But it may not be, depending on if you have a pre-existing friendship or relationship with the student-athlete and the nature of that friendship.

The amount of the benefit is often an important factor in terms whether a violation is a slap on the wrist or a big deal.

And I thought the Vandy student didn't purchase the pass, just borrowed it? Don't honestly know one way or the other - had just been under the impression it was a "loan" of a pass.

Warrior97

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:38:36 AM »
Well, yes, buying a shot for your favorite student-athlete could be a violation. But it may not be, depending on if you have a pre-existing friendship or relationship with the student-athlete and the nature of that friendship.

The amount of the benefit is often an important factor in terms whether a violation is a slap on the wrist or a big deal.

And I thought the Vandy student didn't purchase the pass, just borrowed it? Don't honestly know one way or the other - had just been under the impression it was a "loan" of a pass.

He bought the pass, but the problem was the he bought it from his roommate who is a student manager and therefore considered part of the basketball staff.  He paid full price and I think it is easily one of the more ridiculous violations I have heard of.  Its his roommate.  Is it a violation if he steals his roommates food?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:45:54 AM »

Who the f is this guy?? Not sure if I should be impressed, dumbfounded, or dismayed at such knowledge...

MU8285

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »
From the original article:

"Well, it appears that Swiperboy aka Baller Vol aka The Answer aka Woolridge [Ed Note: Is this inspired by Puff Daddy aka Diddy aka P. Diddy aka Sean Combs?] has caught the attention of the media and the NCAA again with his music."

Not to Ed.  If you have to explain your jokes--especially immediately, they are not funny.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »
He bought the pass, but the problem was the he bought it from his roommate who is a student manager and therefore considered part of the basketball staff.  He paid full price and I think it is easily one of the more ridiculous violations I have heard of.  Its his roommate.  Is it a violation if he steals his roommates food?

Yeah - if he paid fair/full value, thats pretty weak.

Warthog - I'm an MU grad who worked in NCAA compliance at various schools for about 5 years. Sorry if my post bothered you. Jaybilaswho asked a question, and while it may have been meant to demonstrate the extremes of applying the rule, I thought i'd provide an answer.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »
Yeah - if he paid fair/full value, thats pretty weak.
My understanding is the pass he bought isn't made available by the university to underclassman, but it's common practice for them to purchase them from upperclassmen that don't need theirs.  From what I read it was only a violation because he bought it from one of the student managers.  Kinda silly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:19:53 PM »
Yup.   There are 'violations' that involve huge discounts at sporting goods store, cash, cars, etc.    There are 'violations' that involve stuff that goes on all the time that is scrutinized under a microscope merely because they are athletes.     The two incidents discussed here are definitely the latter.    Mouse nuts. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
Yup.   There are 'violations' that involve huge discounts at sporting goods store, cash, cars, etc.    There are 'violations' that involve stuff that goes on all the time that is scrutinized under a microscope merely because they are athletes.     The two incidents discussed here are definitely the latter.    Mouse nuts. 

Right - and these minor ones are all about the slippery slope - you can always expand to the point where this could be a significant benefit. It may not be the case with the vandy kid - but that's what the school or the NCAA will say they are guarding against.

feedback