collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Indiana at Wisconsin tonight ESPN  (Read 28473 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Indiana at Wisconsin tonight ESPN
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2011, 03:49:04 PM »
Nankivil, Gavinski, etc.

We're both going after Tokoto.

Nank yes, Gavinski, no.  Gasser, no.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2011, 07:16:21 PM »
I understand the truly elite basketball programs take great pride in hanging banners from pre-season tournaments.

If Marquette still has those stupid things hanging in either the BC or The Al we should beseech Buzz to have them removed. Immediately. How embarassing.

I understand the truly elite programs actually win those pre-season tournaments.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »
I understand the truly elite programs actually win those pre-season tournaments.

Those banners belong in Riley's room next to his well earned summer camp MVP trophies.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2011, 09:56:12 PM »
Two guys who fit much better into Wisconsin's system plus and "etc." Wow. MU really needs to step up their in-state recruiting!

Are you saying we couldn't use Nankivil?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2011, 10:04:21 PM »
Are you saying we couldn't use Nankivil?

Use him? I think we're a Top 10 team with him. IIRC, we recruited him hard but I don't think we ever had much of a chance. Like most Wisconsin high school players, he grew up wanting to be a Badger.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2011, 10:06:45 PM »
Use him? I think we're a Top 10 team with him. IIRC, we recruited him hard but I don't think we ever had much of a chance. Like most Wisconsin high school players, he grew up wanting to be a Badger.

Exactly, of course we could have used him....but don't you know "Two guys who fit much better into Wisconsin's system"   ::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
Those banners belong in Riley's room next to his well earned summer camp MVP trophies.

I truly hate it when we try to honor our student athletes and their accomplishments.  Shame on us.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2011, 10:14:26 PM »
Those banners belong in Riley's room . . .

At least he has one three, plus a final four banner.  How many does Calvin have?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »
Exactly, of course we could have used him....but don't you know "Two guys who fit much better into Wisconsin's system"   ::)

I never said MU couldn't use him. You tried to claim that's what I said which is, of course, the type of action that makes you fly off the handle and piss and moan and cry when someone does it to you. Hypocrisy fits you well though. (SEGUE!) Much like Nankivil fits well in Wisconsin's system, which doesn't mean he wouldn't be a productive player for MU. It means, quite simply, that he fits better in Wisconsin's system. Similarly, Blue fits better in MU's system but that doesn't mean he couldn't be a productive player at UW.

Now, go ahead and condescendingly spin my words to mean something else.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2011, 05:42:36 AM »

Joanie tells it like it is, as only a Harbaugh can! We should get Big Jack to repeat his story of how Stanford defeated the Mighty Trojans of USC.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2011, 05:44:43 AM »

I wonder what the realtor will tell Joanie about those banners when it comes time to sell the home in Bloomington, you know, the whole "decluttering" thing
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:23:33 AM by warthog-driver »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2011, 05:48:03 AM »
I truly hate it when we try to honor our student athletes and their accomplishments.  Shame on us.

Some things are worth honoring. This smacks of "everyone gets a trophy" which was not true in the case of Tanned Tommy's Summer of Fun where only those with the last name Crean got a trophy. At the end of ther day those stupid banners had nothing to do with the players. They were put up as tributes to The Great One with the Savage Tan

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2011, 08:34:45 AM »
I never said MU couldn't use him. You tried to claim that's what I said which is, of course, the type of action that makes you fly off the handle and piss and moan and cry when someone does it to you. Hypocrisy fits you well though. (SEGUE!) Much like Nankivil fits well in Wisconsin's system, which doesn't mean he wouldn't be a productive player for MU. It means, quite simply, that he fits better in Wisconsin's system. Similarly, Blue fits better in MU's system but that doesn't mean he couldn't be a productive player at UW.

Now, go ahead and condescendingly spin my words to mean something else.

Nankivil would need to play on the blocks for MU.  Could he? / Would he?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2011, 09:27:06 AM »
Some things are worth honoring. This smacks of "everyone gets a trophy"

Right.  Because beating Duke and Gonzaga is a piece of cake.  Anyone can do it. 

Just ask Buzz.

Why don't we just cut through your crap and get right to the obvious:

You make fun of Crean's accomplishments because Buzz hasn't been able to match them.  Trust me--if Buzz were 3-0 instead of 0-3, and it was him that came up with the idea of hanging banners for those conferences, you'd be facing Milwaukee and bowing toward those banners three times a day. 

Meanwhile, nothing changes the fact that Buzz hasn't won a pre-conference tournament in three chances, and we lost two of them in embarrassing fashion (blowout loss to Dayton and blowing a 17 point lead to a second-rate ACC team.).

But at least we know what each other cares more about.  You care about banners, name calling and insulting people.  I care about Marquette winning.  That says everything we need to know.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2011, 09:50:37 AM »

Notre Dame has already beaten 4 ranked teams this season. Should they hang a banner? After all, that's a more impressive, more difficult task than winning a pre-conference tournament.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2011, 10:04:14 AM »
Some things are worth honoring. This smacks of "everyone gets a trophy" which was not true in the case of Tanned Tommy's Summer of Fun where only those with the last name Crean got a trophy. At the end of ther day those stupid banners had nothing to do with the players. They were put up as tributes to The Great One with the Savage Tan

That's crap.  It doesn't come close to smacking that everyone gets a trophy when you are playing Gonzaga, Duke, etc for the Maui Invitational or other prestigious tournament.  Silly claim beyond belief. 

To say it had nothing to do with the players, Wiskey Tango Foxtrot are you talking about?  It was to honor the accomplishments of those kids in winning those tournaments.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2011, 10:54:38 AM »

Right. Because the 2006 Duke team, that finished 6th in the ACC and exited in the first round of the tournament, is pretty much the same as the Duke team that MU played this year.
And Buzz had the benefit of some guy named Wade, not to mention a four-year starter at point guard, against the Zags this year.
Solid, solid comparisons.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2011, 11:00:21 AM »

and then put the banners in a drawer.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2011, 11:18:44 AM »
I don't care who the coach was or whose decision it was to hang those banners, IMO, it made Marquette look like a second-rate basketball program.

Imagine JP Tokoto walking into the Dean Dome and seeing all the jerseys and all the championship banners hanging from the rafters...and then coming to the BC and seeing "2002 Great Alaska Shootout Champions." It made MU look very small time.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
You make fun of Crean's accomplishments because Buzz hasn't been able to match them.  Trust me--if Buzz were 3-0 instead of 0-3, and it was him that came up with the idea of hanging banners for those conferences, you'd be facing Milwaukee and bowing toward those banners three times a day.  But at least we know what each other cares more about.  You care about banners, name calling and insulting people.  I care about Marquette winning.  That says everything we need to know.

I care about honor, character and dignity. Crean's atrocious treatment of people was a firm statement that he did not share that belief. His supreme arrogance and gross mistreatment of others undermined his credibility as a leader. I am not at all certain what Crean "accomplished."

As for banners, I have a great deal of respect for my Squadron's Guidon. It proudly carries combat streamers from The Muese-Argonne Offensive, Belleau Wood, The Italian Campaign, Normandy, Operation Cobra, Chosin Reservoir, Operation Linebacker, and, under my watch, added Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. My perpsective is very different from yours, Joanie.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2011, 11:35:55 AM »
I don't care who the coach was or whose decision it was to hang those banners, IMO, it made Marquette look like a second-rate basketball program.

Imagine JP Tokoto walking into the Dean Dome and seeing all the jerseys and all the championship banners hanging from the rafters...and then coming to the BC and seeing "2002 Great Alaska Shootout Champions." It made MU look very small time.

The Stache hits the nail squarely on the head. But then, wasn't the creative force behind those silly banners really just a small time hustler?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2011, 11:44:01 AM »
To say it had nothing to do with the players, Wiskey Tango Foxtrot are you talking about?  It was to honor the accomplishments of those kids in winning those tournaments.

Please Chico. We all know that Crean's motivation in those banners was self-aggrandizement. I refer you to The Mustache's superb articulation - the banner's were small time. I cannot think of a more succinct articulation of Tom Crean, The "Man"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2011, 11:50:20 AM »
Notre Dame has already beaten 4 ranked teams this season. Should they hang a banner? After all, that's a more impressive, more difficult task than winning a pre-conference tournament.

Do they give a trophy out for doing what Notre Dame has done?  No.

Do they give a trophy out for winning the Maui Invitational, the Great Alaska Shootout, etc?  Yes.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2011, 11:52:58 AM »
Do they give a trophy out for winning the Maui Invitational, the Great Alaska Shootout, etc?  Yes.

They give out trophies. They do not give out banners to hang from the rafters. That was the brain child of The Bronzed Brazen Beast of Brookfield.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »
Please Chico. We all know that Crean's motivation in those banners was self-aggrandizement. I refer you to The Mustache's superb articulation - the banner's were small time. I cannot think of a more succinct articulation of Tom Crean, The "Man"

"We all know?"  Really?  Is that like Always, Never, Vast Majority schtick that Lenny uses?  No, we don't know.  That is YOUR OPINION.

The way you crap on those tournament championships, maybe we should go to the Al later today and have a book burn in and instead of using books, we'll burn the trophies.  After all, what's the point of having a trophy for such a lame achievement?  Right?  Or is a trophy ok but not a banner?  I'm just curious.   

While we're at it, maybe we should strip the players names off the All Tournament teams as well, I mean it's just a lame tournament.  Let's take it out of the media guides, we certainly wouldn't want to honor their achievements at all.

You do realize that other schools do this, right?  You realize that some schools, even ones like Duke, hang banners symbolizing where they finished in an AP poll.  How dare they....it smacks of everyone getting a trophy (which is ironic as hell since only the champion of these preseason tournaments actually gets a trophy). 

feedback