Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For Those Who Wrote Cadougan Off: You Know Who You Are  (Read 12919 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: For Those Who Wrote Cadougan Off: You Know Who You Are
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 11:11:09 AM »
Buzz's comments from the radio show were that Junior had really turned it on in the last few weeks.

He's a good backup PG that is improving. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »

Junior still has a ways to go, but for a sophomorecoming back from a major, and sometimes career ending, injury, I'm encouraged by what he's shown the last few games.  

Fixed it for you

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 11:14:18 AM »
Dwight Buycks has stepped up his game this year as a ball handler, scorer and leader.  He is definitely our best point guard.  Love to watch how athletic Buycks plays.

This.  I felt Buycks could be a key to the team based on what was reported about his play over the summer - combined with his clear athleticism, shake/bake, and creativity.

Some may think Buycks has too much playground in his game - but personally, I love it, and think having some playground in one's game is what makes one a VERY good player.  Buycks plays with a great pace and rhythm to his game...wish DJO could find the same type of flow/rhythm.  DJO is almost always 100% full speed ahead..not quite as much hesitation, shake/bake, etc.   I've seen numerous NBA caliber moves from Dwight this year...and actually think he has a chance to get drafted  -assuming he keeps up the play he's shown the last 6-8 games.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
 I've seen numerous NBA caliber moves from Dwight this year...and actually think he has a chance to get drafted

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:33:11 AM by mugrad2006 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Yes, he is a nice backup PG at this point.  Buycks is still better.

+1 and that's my concern for next year.  Can he be the GUY

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »
Watching Buzz yell at Junior in the 1st episode of the All-Access stuff, you can see how much that got in his head.  "SPRINT TO THE BALL JUNIOR!!"  He's getting it.  Defensively, he's becoming one of our better guys out there.

He's gaining confidence.  I still think he has the ability to be a Levance Fields kind of PG. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
I watched him play in the non-conference bunny games, and it was clear he was the only true pg on the team.  You also saw a better showing from Vander than what you're seeing now.  I think those flashes, against weaker opponents, will eventually be what is common in BEAST play.  I have a lot of faith that Buzz can develop players.  Even players that get little PT like E-Will, the improvement he made on his jumper is more than impressive, and I think he helps the team in his junior and senior seasons.  

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:06:26 PM by avid1010 »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »
Watching Buzz yell at Junior in the 1st episode of the All-Access stuff, you can see how much that got in his head.  "SPRINT TO THE BALL JUNIOR!!"  He's getting it.  Defensively, he's becoming one of our better guys out there.

He's gaining confidence.  I still think he has the ability to be a Levance Fields kind of PG. 

There was a sequence against Lville where he looked like he was three places at once.  His effort defensively is off the charts compared to in the past.
No Finish Line

mviale

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
Pretty good line on him last night:
4 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals, 1 TO (and the TO was when he was double teamed and nobody came up to help)

Since BEast play begun, he has best Assist/TO average: 20 assists and 6 TO's for the Warriors.

Yes, he is not shooting/scoring well, but that is not his role--he is a distributo, and he is doing that along with playing good D and energy.
Junior has excelled with the departure of reggie smith. So has our overall guard play.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 09:18:31 PM »
he blew past two defenders and finished himself

disturbing

rosenberger77

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »
I am still down on Junior.  Does not go left well (like Buycks).  Shaky with ball when well defended, and makes extremely weak/crazy passes under pressure  (Horrible passer against a decent press).  Teams know this and love to trap him in corner at the half court line. It is truly amazing that he looks as well as he does statistically.

I really hope he can develop a 10-15 foot jump shot that can keep defenses honest.  Otherwise may remain a liability.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:07:38 PM by rosenberger77 »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 09:59:46 PM »
Does not go left well.  Shaky with ball when well defended, and makes extremely weak/crazy passes under pressure  (Horrible passer against a decent press).  Can only pop the deep ballOtherwise may remain a liability.

Sounds a lot like you, Gary!

rosenberger77

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »
Touche.

But it is such a shame because he has great heart and vision, and really spots the open man well.
Gotta hope it all comes together for him.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 10:07:28 PM »
Touche.

But it is such a shame because he has great heart and vision, and really spots the open man well.
Gotta hope it all comes together for him.

i think it will. he sees the floor very well. i expect greatness

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 09:10:23 AM »
Does not go left well (like Buycks).  Shaky with ball when well defended, and makes extremely weak/crazy passes under pressure  (Horrible passer against a decent press).  Teams know this and love to trap him in corner at the half court line. It is truly amazing that he looks as well as he does statistically.

I agree with this part.  I've said earlier in the season that I didn't think he had a good enough handle yet.  And, like you, I am always surprised at how good his A/TO numbers are because it sure doesn't look that way when you watch. 

On the other hand, it seems to me he is improving steadily.  I think his getting steady minutes is what has led to this steady improvement. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 09:39:03 AM »
I am always surprised at how good his A/TO numbers are because it sure doesn't look that way when you watch. 

On the other hand, it seems to me he is improving steadily.  I think his getting steady minutes is what has led to this steady improvement. 

He is the classic game manager QB in football. He rarely will try to do anything he isn't capable of, so his mistakes are limited, but at the same time, so is his production. I'll take that out of a backup PG, especially when the starter is Buycks, who is just the opposite (and can be a bot of a train wreck at times). The fact is, they do seem to put up points when Junior's in there, and Buycks puts up points when he's in there.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 10:24:06 AM »
He is the classic game manager QB in football. He rarely will try to do anything he isn't capable of, so his mistakes are limited, but at the same time, so is his production. I'll take that out of a backup PG, especially when the starter is Buycks, who is just the opposite (and can be a bot of a train wreck at times). The fact is, they do seem to put up points when Junior's in there, and Buycks puts up points when he's in there.
He is a much better ball ditributor than Buycks--that is patently obvious.

Still amazed by the number of detractors to Jr. He does not need to score, and when it comes to crunch time he will be in there, likely along with Buycks and DJO.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »

2 words: Quinn Buckner

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 10:37:03 AM »
His play so far is mostly God given talent.  He is basically an advanced freshman.  His defense has improved tremendously.  He runs the break better than any other guard on the team.  His ability to find the open person is incredible. 

He needs development but has a lot of upside.  He'll be a Cousy finalist as a senior.  With Buzz pushing him, he could be better than Tony Miller.  We all know what an offensive juggernaut Miller was in first two years.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »
2 words: Quinn Buckner

What warthog said.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 11:16:17 AM »
He needs development but has a lot of upside.  He'll be a Cousy finalist as a senior.  With Buzz pushing him, he could be better than Tony Miller.  We all know what an offensive juggernaut Miller was in first two years.

I hope you're right, but Tony was an all-timer. 1000 pt scorer, an assist record that will never be touched, and a nearly 3:1 assist to TO ratio. And he had over 500 rebounds. He was incredible.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
We'd all be creaming ourselves if he turns out to be half the player Buckner was. Quinn was a first round draft choice and cashed a few NBA paychecks in addition to winning an NCAA championship.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 11:33:21 AM »
What warthog said.
I'm just surprised the response wasn't in a haiku.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 11:34:09 AM »
Junior has really improved as the season has worn on.  His on ball pressure, his game grittiness, and his efficiency game.  However, for the total season, he is either feast or famine on ball control, and he needs to be able to hit a shot as teams zone us when he gets in.  

>> He is about the same as Buycks in assist %:  25.8% for Junior and 25.7% for Dwight on distribution
http://kenpom.com/playerstats.php?s=ARate&y=2011&f=BE

>> But he is 2nd to last in the BE in Turnover Rate (33.0%) for those playing 40% of the minutes or more--97 players qualified on the list (Jae leads the BE, btw).
http://kenpom.com/playerstats.php?s=TORate&y=2011&f=BE

>>He hasn't played enough minutes to qualify on the eFG% list, but his 36.4% is 4.5% PTS below the last place shooter.  
http://kenpom.com/playerstats.php?s=eFG&y=2011&f=BE

In BE play, Junior's TO Rate has dropped to 23.7% and his assist % has risen to 27.3%.  However, his eFG% is 21.4%. His distributor abilities are limited by his lack of shooting prowess by defenses who sag off, which is why Dwight starts--and who is 3rd in the BE (all games) in eFG% and 1st in trey shooting % in BE play.  He is a great back-up PG who is now earning his minutes--think JFB in his sophomore year as the season advanced.

http://kenpom.com/playerstats.php?s=eFG&y=2011&f=BE

http://statsheet.com/mcb/conferences/big-east/player_stats?season=2010-2011&stat=2&games=conf

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
I hope you're right, but Tony was an all-timer. 1000 pt scorer, an assist record that will never be touched, and a nearly 3:1 assist to TO ratio. And he had over 500 rebounds. He was incredible.
Agreed. Tony was an all-timer. He did not need to score--he was a great ball distributor. MU has had some great point guards throughout its history. From memory:
Dick Nixon
Butch Lee
Lloyd Walton
Sam Worthen
Mandy Johnson
Tony Miller
Cordell Henry, and some I probably have forgotten
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.