Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Big Men  (Read 2523 times)

tower912

• All American
MU Big Men
« on: January 10, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »
Hopefully, we can put this debate to rest for now.  Otule was a game changer with 3 early blocks and some great post moves and FT's when we were grinding in the first half.   DG looked like a freshman.  Both will get better in time.   It helps that ND is not real big or fast.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: MU Big Men
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:42:22 PM »
First game that I actually wanted to see Otule get the ball, and trusted him with it...seemed to be most comfortable he has ever been.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Yes, first game where I didn't want Otule out of the game at any point, and he was a game changer on defense and offense. Lets see more of that, Chris. (I know it's harder with tougher big men on other teams.)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:46:06 PM »
Great play by Otule tonight, especially on the defensive end. When Gardner came in, I cringed a bit because we had been so cohesive on defense to that point, and he instantly disrupted that. Glad he got the quick hook. He'll be a good player in time, but it was clear tonight that Otule's the guy we need in there on a regular basis.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »
I must admit his post moves are mainly getting as close to the basket as he can for a little turnaround bank off the glass, but he gets it to work.  Not sure if I trust him a lot a few more feet outside the basket, but he knows his comfort zone and I love to see us feeding it to him down low.

Played some good D.  It's great to see how far he has come, not to mention putting his 2 broken feet with the inexperience he had before.  I think he will be great by his final year here at Marquette.  

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:49:31 PM »
Watching the first half and the way they talked about Otule, you'd think he was an all-conference player.  Glad he had one of his best defensive games of the year (maybe his career), but I'm not sure he's quite as good as they made him out to be.  

Hope the great play by Chris continues, we've got a great chance to beat pretty much anyone in the BEast if he can contribute like he did tonight.  

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
No, but he HAS been working that hard.   Remember Vandy?   McGee is a beast and the Otule isn't going to be great every game, but he played well tonight.   They should have gone to him more.  And I never expect or even want him to take a 12 ft jumper.  (shudder)    Let him just develop in close.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »
Just so nice to have a big man on defense and offense! He obviously has his limitations but he can be very effective in the right situations. I would like to see the guards not always sag so much and see what he can do individually to limit so many open threes.
"We have the blues on the run!"

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 08:55:08 PM »
lets also remeber he is only a sophomore

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »
He needs to be big against a small Louisville team too.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 08:58:08 PM »
lets also remeber he is only a sophomore

Yes, I am beginning to believe the Otule/Gardner combo in Chris' senior year will be more than adequate.  They will be fouling out opposing big me like crazy by that point.

Actually, I'm really frickin excited for that team.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
Yes, I am beginning to believe the Otule/Gardner combo in Chris' senior year will be more than adequate.  They will be fouling out opposing big me like crazy by that point.

Actually, I'm really frickin excited for that team.

Gardner has tons of work to do. Looked lazy the minute he played and Buzz yanked him right wawy. He is not ready for this level of play.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »
Watching Otule tonight reminded me of something I used to think about Ousmane ... Namely, it always felt like he had a better game when he got going on the defensive end first, and then let the offense come to him in the flow of the game.

Nice game out of him.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:06:32 PM »
With Scott out, MU had the match-up advantage with Otule.  Buzz was preset to feed the post.  Set the tone and freed up Jae inside and our shooters on the perimeter.  He was the core of our defense which was predicated on keeping the ball away from Psycho Ben and letting the freshman beat us if he could.  Great, great game plan tonight. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
Hopefully, we can put this debate to rest for now.  Otule was a game changer with 3 early blocks and some great post moves and FT's when we were grinding in the first half.   DG looked like a freshman.  Both will get better in time.   It helps that ND is not real big or fast.   

+1 - agree completely.ule had a great game defensively,a nd gave us some points.  In the second half he had a great move to the hoop through 2 or 3 defenders and scored.  I really like what he has become, and he will continue to get better.  He plays with heart and with soul every minute he is on the court.  Way to go Chris!  I was screaming for ya up in 420!