[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Someone Is Transferring TO DePaul  (Read 2215 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Someone Is Transferring TO DePaul
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »
Donnavan Kirk heads to DePaul

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=5999746

CHICAGO -- Former Miami redshirt freshman forward Donnavan Kirk confirmed Friday that he has transferred to DePaul and will begin classes and practicing with the Blue Demons Monday.

Before departing Miami, the 6-foot-9, 230-pound Kirk played in the Hurricanes' first 13 games and averaged 2.7 points and 1.6 rebounds in 9.5 minutes this season. Kirk said he left Miami to be closer to home and his ill grandfather in Detroit.

Coming out of high school, Kirk was ranked No. 88 in the Class of 2009 and the No. 28 power forward in the ESPNU 100.

Kirk chose DePaul over Central Michigan, Northwestern and Oakland. He will be eligible in November because DePaul's academic calendar uses quarters, not semesters.

Kirk was attracted to the Blue Demons because of DePaul coach Oliver Purnell and his up-tempo system. In Kirk's opinion, it's a perfect match.

"Coach Purnell is the type of coach who likes to press and get up and down the court and play attack," Kirk said. "That's my style of play. I know I can be successful in that type of system. I can get up and down the court, run the floor, defend, score inside and out."

ESPN recruiting coordinator Reggie Rankin agreed.

"He's a long athlete that fits the Blue Demons' style of play with his length, mobility and ability to finish, in addition to being very effective in the press," Rankin said. "As a program builder, Oliver Purnell has added another nice piece to the building process."

Part of DePaul's pitch to Kirk was his opportunity to flourish in the system, but it also sold him on the Blue Demons' vision of where the program can go. DePaul has won one Big East game in the last three seasons.

"I'm very optimistic about the program," Kirk said. "I know they're going to turn it around. The program is going to be fine. Coach Purnell is now here. [The losing] was under someone else. Now, it's time to get going."

Kirk will know someone when he arrives at DePaul. Blue Demons strength and conditioning coach Mac Calloway worked with Kirk last season at Miami.

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Someone Is Transferring TO DePaul
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
Superbar/Non-story
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

dpu70

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
Superbar/Non-story..... not quite.

This is recruit No 7, with only 3 graduating openings.  This story is not over.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »
Superbar/Non-story..... not quite.

This is recruit No 7, with only 3 graduating openings.  This story is not over.

That is interesting.  How many scholarship guys do they have this year?

dpu70

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 05:25:42 AM »
That is interesting.  How many scholarship guys do they have this year?

12 on scholarship, with 1 open.  3 graduating without eligibility left.  So, it was figured 4 openings for 2011.

We have 1 open scholarship that was given to a graduating Senior walk-on.  Drew.
We have 2 graduating.  Stovall, Stula
Those are the graduates.

1 open scholarship this year that Kirk will absorb now.  So, we need 3 more openings.

So, 3 players who have eligibility will not be here next year.  Assuming all recruits qualify.

We have 2 redshirt Seniors, who will graduate, but have 1 year of eligibility left.  Wallace, Bizoukas
We have 1 injured Junior, who will probably redshirt this year, and have 2 years left.  Hill
These are the most probable candidates who will not be here next year.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »
Sounds like someone's getting Oliver Burn'nelled?  (Yep.  That's the best I can come up with.)
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »
Sounds like someone's getting Oliver Burn'nelled?  (Yep.  That's the best I can come up with.)
Not sure I know what that means. Is it anything like Devante Newbilled?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.