collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Studying in London  (Read 5540 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
Studying in London
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »
I'm a few hours away from heading off to London for a semester abroad, any tips or advice from the scoopers who have been to London/Europe?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Re: Studying in London
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:35:31 AM »
get everywhere you can while there: Italy-Tuscany & Cinque Terra,Rome & pompei
 You won't forget the food in Italy

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »
Not sure if MU still has an affiliation with St. Clare's in Oxford, but I studied there for a semester while at Marquette, best semester of my life. London is a fantastic city, except for how expensive it is, and the current exchange rate won't do you any favors.

My best advice is see/do as much as you can, and don't think twice. If you're studying in London proper, go spend a day in Oxford, or the Lake District, or head west to Wales, or up to Scotland. Spend a weekend in Ireland or Paris, or go crazy and spend a week long break in Egypt or go skiing in the Alps.

The first two weeks are probably the hardest, getting your body set up to the 6 hour time difference, and getting acquainted with where you're living. I studied in England in 1999, before everyone had cell phones, wireless internet was still a "no way" concept, no iPods, no iPads, so I can only imagine it must be a lot easier to study overseas these days.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:39:41 AM »
Have fun.  London is great.  I was only there for 4 days, but I'd love to go back.  Go see the sights.  If you want to go have some fun at night, I suggest Soho.

As for the rest of Europe, I recently went to Munich, Koln, Berlin, Amsterdam, and Paris.  I would highly recommend all except Berlin.  It was a neat city, but just didn't care for it as much as the rest of Germany.

Are you looking for places to go?
get everywhere you can while there: Italy-Tuscany & Cinque Terra,Rome & pompei
 You won't forget the food in Italy

For what its worth, my parents said the worst food they have had in Europe was in Italy... They have been to Europe many times, and said it was not so good.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 12:46:17 PM »
I'm a few hours away from heading off to London for a semester abroad, any tips or advice from the scoopers who have been to London/Europe?

Even if you are not a soccer fan, go experience a Premiership game.  The smaller teams (Everton, Bolton, West Ham, Fulham...) are easier to get tickets than Chelsea, ManU or Man City...

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »
I spent a semester at City U in downtown London, so here are my additional thoughts:

Buy an A to Z London book (pronounced A to Zed) as soon as you touch down if you don't already have one.   It's a bound map of the city, and I had it in my pocket almost constantly as the city is the most confusing I've ever been in.  You can get it in any convenience store or book store, just ask.  Buy an Oyster Card, you'll use the Tube constantly and its great for getting around (much better than the L in Chi).

See some shows in London.  The theater district usually has tickets where you can buy them day of and get a student discount, especially on Thursday.  If you want some culture, London has some of the best classical music of anywhere in the world.  The Royal Philharmonic is great and often plays at Royal Festival Hall right on the Thames (http://www.rpo.co.uk/), and Barbican theater (right off the circle line) is where the LSO calls home.

Other advice is to try to join a student club (sports or otherwise).  You'll probably be tempted to just hang out with the other exchange students (you live together, have class together, travel, etc.), so doing this will force you to meet regular students and have something in common.  I played basketball and did some volunteer work with RAG, and it definitely helped in integrating myself with the regulars.

Definitely see a football game, check if there are any school events or just ask around as you get to know people (this is where being in a club helps). Chelsea and Arsenal give you a totally different feel than the others, and it's well worth the cash.  If you end up in Spain, see a Barca or Real Madrid game as well.  Camp Nou holds ~100K and is pretty amazing to  be in. 

I'm sure there's more and I'll post if something comes to mind, but feel free to PM with any specific questions.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »
Have fun.  London is great.  I was only there for 4 days, but I'd love to go back.  Go see the sights.  If you want to go have some fun at night, I suggest Soho.

As for the rest of Europe, I recently went to Munich, Koln, Berlin, Amsterdam, and Paris.  I would highly recommend all except Berlin.  It was a neat city, but just didn't care for it as much as the rest of Germany.

Are you looking for places to go?
For what its worth, my parents said the worst food they have had in Europe was in Italy... They have been to Europe many times, and said it was not so good.

you know my cousin compared Berlin to "that girl you see at a bar who looks okay but has a *great* personality" fwiw :)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:00:53 AM »
you know my cousin compared Berlin to "that girl you see at a bar who looks okay but has a *great* personality" fwiw :)

I'd say personality disorder ;)

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:01 AM »
Check out these fav pubs - what more agreeable to a MU Student?

The Rose & Crown at Old Park Lane and Picadilly/A4 (near Hyde Park Corner and the Hard Rock Cafe)

Lamb & Flag (Garrick St. near Floral St.) in Covent Garden

3 on Fleet Street near Temple stop:  Tipperary, Old Bell and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese

Then head up to Tottenham to witness the Pride of North London!  I suggest Bricklayer's Pub on High Road.

Oh yeah... there's some sights to witness too.  

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Sports Cafe in Haymarket - they'll show ESPN broadcasts of MU games (if open due to the time difference).

d6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »
Studied at St. Clare's as well in 1996.  Would second the opinion to join a sports or social club.....I played basketball for St. Clare's and it was just a good outlet (and a chance to say you're a college athlete --  wink, wink -- and feel good about your game).  

Two other observations: 1) Travel as much as possible.  You will never have an opportunity like this again.  Amsterdam, Italy, France, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, etc.  It sounds obvious, but I saw a number of fellow American students who somewhat seemed to treat this experience like Marquette (i.e., rarely leaving "campus" and getting set in their ways).  Experience Europe while you can.

2) This is related to number one. At St. Clare's, there were many international students.  From my experience, if you have the same set-up in London, take advantage of it.  Get to know the international students.  They tend to understand----again, from my perspective----how to "holiday" better and often are more seasoned because they have different experiences in terms of travel.  

That's just my two cents.  Good luck.....you'll never regret this adventure!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:59:38 AM by d6 »

muphan

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »
Make sure to check out Barcelona. I was there for all of Sept this past summer and had a blast. Very cool city with very cool people. Beautiful women, beaches, weather, and atmosphere. Also it is a huge party city. A must see

chren21

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 11:55:22 AM »
Even if you are not a soccer fan, go experience a Premiership game.  The smaller teams (Everton, Bolton, West Ham, Fulham...) are easier to get tickets than Chelsea, ManU or Man City...

+1.  Anywhere you travel hit a game. Italy, Germany, etc. Tons of fun and a great way to meet people, have some great conversations.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:17:08 PM »
If you are a fan of beer, head down to Brussels or Brugge. There is a bar in Brussels called Delirium and it set the world record for most beers available at once with over 2000. It is a great place to try a bunch of the delicious Belgian beers. It also has the EU headquarters and random fascinating architecture all over the city.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
I sent you a PM.  My good friend is living in London.  He's an MU alum (graduated in '03) and he's active in the alumni association.  I gave him a heads up and he said he'd love to take you out on the town if you drop him an email.  He's a great guy!

I'm sure he has stories about the Final Four run our senior year :)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 01:22:54 PM »
If you are a fan of beer, head down to Brussels or Brugge. There is a bar in Brussels called Delirium and it set the world record for most beers available at once with over 2000. It is a great place to try a bunch of the delicious Belgian beers. It also has the EU headquarters and random fascinating architecture all over the city.

Brugge is a very underrated city IMHO, went there several times during my semester in Belgium.

Also, how can you not love Brussels, a city most known for a statue of a kid taking a piss...
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »
Hope you like Indian Food, it is the only thing consistently edible in England.  Get out to Florence, Brussels, Vatican City, Paris, Greece, also try to get to some of the emerging former eastern cities Budapest, Parague, Krakow, etc. 
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

chren21

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 05:24:51 PM »
also try to get to some of the emerging former eastern cities ...., Prague.....  

+1 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 08:13:56 PM »
Check out these fav pubs - what more agreeable to a MU Student?

The Rose & Crown at Old Park Lane and Picadilly/A4 (near Hyde Park Corner and the Hard Rock Cafe)

Lamb & Flag (Garrick St. near Floral St.) in Covent Garden

3 on Fleet Street near Temple stop:  Tipperary, Old Bell and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese

Then head up to Tottenham to witness the Pride of North London!  I suggest Bricklayer's Pub on High Road.

Oh yeah... there's some sights to witness too.  

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Sports Cafe in Haymarket - they'll show ESPN broadcasts of MU games (if open due to the time difference).

Sports Cafe used to be a pretty cool place, I went there a couple of times while in London when I studied at St. Clare's. Recently though it's been a lot less ESPN from what I've seen the last few years, not sure why. I've seen more ESPN at pubs than ever before. Used to love the random NFL game of the week that would be shown on Sky.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:06:44 PM »
Ryanair is your friend...but read the fine print. Hook up with friends studying abroad and stay for cheap (hostel) or free (friends).  Agree on Eastern Europe...would add Croatia.  Italy is my favorite...Umbria/Tuscany but also Rome. Greece is great but skip Athens unless you want to see the ruins.  My absolute favorite city in the world is Istanbul if you have connections there.   Ski the Alps. Dublin--love it or hate it. Paris for the Arts, wine and food.  Agree on Spain and Portugal.

London: expensive...best food is "Asian" which means Indian. Soho. Theatre is a must and always buy day of discounted.  See the museums.  Four non-travel  book tips: 1) St. Katherine's Dock (good place to bring mom and dad--$$.  Mala is a great Indian restaurant there).  2) Leadenhall Market (after work nightlife, Harry Potter fame), 3) south side of Black Friar's Bridge...cheaper, local places.  4) Borough Market.  Other neighborhoods to check out after a bit: Hampstead, Islington.

Travel often, study little.  Chance of a lifetime.  Will learn more traveling.

http://www.skdocks.co.uk/
http://www.leadenhallmarket.co.uk/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:35:35 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 03:37:58 AM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I really do appreciate it. Thanks for the PM Skat, I will definitely get in touch with him. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 08:06:51 AM »
Travel often, study little.  Chance of a lifetime.  Will learn more traveling.

I have never been to London (or Europe even), so I don't have much to offer by way of advice for that.  But, I want to echo what Dr. B said.  Two of the biggest regrets in my life are trips I didn't take when I had an opportunity because I thought other things were more important.  Go everywhere and see everything that you can.  Trust me, 20 years from now you won't remember or care that you got an A instead of a B in a class or what you bought with the paycheck you earned, but you will remember the places you visited.  Have a blast.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 03:43:55 PM »
When you arrive in Heathrow take the Pickadilly Line (subway) to Hammersmith change to the District Line to Victoria Station. Cheap in & Victoria is in Central London

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 04:14:38 PM »
I have never been to London (or Europe even), so I don't have much to offer by way of advice for that.  But, I want to echo what Dr. B said.  Two of the biggest regrets in my life are trips I didn't take when I had an opportunity because I thought other things were more important.  Go everywhere and see everything that you can.  Trust me, 20 years from now you won't remember or care that you got an A instead of a B in a class or what you bought with the paycheck you earned, but you will remember the places you visited.  Have a blast.

Absolutely.  I'm still kicking myself for passing up on studying abroad because I changed my major and had to play catch-up.  And then I changed my major again anyway.  F*cking dumb.

caltruda

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »
London is a great time once you get past the sticker shock. I'm a little geeky/historical nerd, so I got a kick out of the Churchill Museum and also the Globe Theatre. Make sure you get an underground pass, the train system is phenomenal. It's about an hour-long train ride to Wimbledon, they let you walk around their little museum when tennis isn't in session. Try to see a show on the West End and don't be afraid to explore, there's something cool around every corner. And yes, use London as the springboard to the rest of Europe. Good luck!

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »
As a student abroad right now - make a couch surfing profile and travel that way.

www.couchsurfing.org

I've already had several stays on people's sofas in several countries and I guarantee you it is the absolute best way to see a new city. Try to link up with students as they are usually up for showing you around town a bit, pointing out the cheap bars, and taking you to a cool party in the evening.