Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

MU all-time defensive team? by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 10:01:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:27:00 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[Today at 09:26:50 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:41:12 AM]

NM by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Billy Hoyle
[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 10 am start  (Read 5455 times)

vealdogs

• Walk-On
10 am start
« on: January 01, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »
Loved it. Let's do that more often.

avid1010

• All American
Re: 10 am start
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
Thought the crowd/attendance was awful.  I don't mind an early start, but New Years day, students out, early start all combined for not the greatest of conditions.

Anyone know what kind of "bed checks" MU does for home games?  Playing on the road on New Years is a good way for a team to stay out of trouble (locked in a hotel).  I thought it was about as good as any away BEAST team will have it this year at the BC.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 09:00:26 PM »
Anyone know what kind of "bed checks" MU does for home games? 

Don't they still stay in a hotel downtown the night before early home games?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »
Thought the crowd/attendance was awful.  I don't mind an early start, but New Years day, students out, early start all combined for not the greatest of conditions.

Anyone know what kind of "bed checks" MU does for home games?  Playing on the road on New Years is a good way for a team to stay out of trouble (locked in a hotel).  I thought it was about as good as any away BEAST team will have it this year at the BC.

Attedance was awful, but the small crowd was enthusiastic. Bed check last night was easy - the team stayed in a downtown hotel, I guess because of the early starting time.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:03:05 PM »
Attedance was awful, but the small crowd was enthusiastic. Bed check last night was easy - the team stayed in a downtown hotel, I guess because of the early starting time.

5:19 AM shootaround, per Buzz

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »
5:19 AM shootaround, per Buzz

They showed video of it during the game.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »
They showed video of it during the game.

That's 3:19 a.m. for you. Probably just crawling into the crib. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 09:49:28 PM »

That's 3:19 a.m. for you. Probably just crawling into the crib. ;D

I will say the 8:00am start this morning did not warm the cockles of my heart, but that's what Bloody Mary's and Bloody Bulls were made for.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
The team stayed at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center.  Had a New Years Eve Party that ended at about 11:00.  In an interesting twist, West Virginia also stayed at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center, and also had a New Years Eve party.  

Huggins, of course, made certain that the kids were tucked in nice and early.  Then he went off to the all night Wal-Mart to do a little game gear shopping.  He looked great, aina?
Ludum habemus.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:00:16 PM »
Count me as somebody who liked it.

Chicos: What is a Bloody Bull? You've got me intrigued.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »
Count me as somebody who liked it.

Chicos: What is a Bloody Bull? You've got me intrigued.

The best.  You can also put A1 Sauce in them.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/bloody-bull-cocktail-recipe/index.html

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 12:22:07 AM »
I thought the crowd was pretty decent actually. For not having any students there, the place got pretty loud at points. Sounded good on the broadcast as well.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 12:26:48 AM »
It sure was nice to wake up, check my phone and go "Marquette played already? Marquette won?" Nice way to start the day and I didnt have to subject my heart beat to the normal levels of suspense. A win-win, except it was hard to find highlights.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Marquette_Fan

• Scholarship Player
  • 1977 Championship Victory - Bo Ellis
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 01:11:55 AM »
Man, that early start was brutal. I hope that was a one time thing. Being it was New Years day and the Bucks played later on that evening.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 07:26:33 AM »
At the start of the game, the students (including my daughter) looked a bit 'unshowered and unshaved'.  Had trouble with their cheers, etc.  But it had been a long night and Buzz had to focus on getting his scholly players to bed on time!  Importantly, they showed up with energy evidenced by the 9-0 run to start the game.

It was really interesting at the Hilton the night before.  UWV, Marquette bball teams.  Add to that the Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals.  I met 2 Generals in the elevator.  Nice guys happy to return to Milwaukee every New Year's Eve.  Complimented our city and the great fans that had turned out to see them.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 07:51:39 AM »
A bit mixed on the early start. I think if it weren't NYD, I'd like it more. We were up until about 1 am, then I got up at 6 to start breakfast and bloodies. That's a bit of a brutal turnaround. And while the crowd certainly got into the game and had a nice impact, it was definitely a small turnout.

But we still got a nationally televised game that likely got plenty of play across the country and got a win against a Final Four team from last year. Hopefully we can build on this one.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 08:53:48 AM »
The team stayed at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center.  Had a New Years Eve Party that ended at about 11:00.  In an interesting twist, West Virginia also stayed at the Hilton Milwaukee City Center, and also had a New Years Eve party.  

Huggins, of course, made certain that the kids were tucked in nice and early.  Then he went off to the all night Wal-Mart to do a little game gear shopping.  He looked great, aina?

Do they stay at a hotel before every game or was it just a precaution to handle the New Year's Eve distractions?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
Hated the 10am start.   Couldn't believe we were driving to the BC at 9:30. 

And for the record, our NYE "party" wrapped up at 8pm.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
I got 4 hours of sleep and took a nap in my seat at halftime.

If we hadn't won I would be raging right now.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
You cats are a bunch soft old farts. Back in the day, the Warriors played the USSR at 12:01 a.m. Party hardy until gametime and head off to the Arena. Kicked their red asses, but the game didn't end until 2 a.m. No bitching, it was fun. Now, suck it up and act like Warriors.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »
You cats are a bunch soft old farts. Back in the day, the Warriors played the USSR at 12:01 a.m. Party hardy until gametime and head off to the Arena. Kicked their red asses, but the game didn't end until 2 a.m. No bitching, it was fun. Now, suck it up and act like Warriors.

Big difference between staying up until midnight and getting up at 6 am on NYD. I'll go to the game whenever it is, but given my iffen's, I'd rather have the ability to stay up on NYE, get plowed, and pass out until noon the next day ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »

Was that whole story ever discussed in a longer version on this board or elsewhere before?

Wasn't this a few weeks after the Reds beat the USA Team at the Olympics --- or something?

And seriously, why hasn't Al's life been made into a movie yet?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 11:39:09 AM »
Do they stay at a hotel before every game or was it just a precaution to handle the New Year's Eve distractions?

I think it was simply a New Year's treat for the team. 
Ludum habemus.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
And seriously, why hasn't Al's life been made into a movie yet?

It has. It was called "The Ten Commandments"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »
Big difference between staying up until midnight and getting up at 6 am on NYD. I'll go to the game whenever it is, but given my iffen's, I'd rather have the ability to stay up on NYE, get plowed, and pass out until noon the next day ;D

Wait until you have to work NYD, young man.   Or does the MFD shift not start at 07:00 like in GR?   When I was a rookie I could close bars and make it to work.   I can still do it, but it hurts more. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback