Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Where is Devante?  (Read 7923 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Where is Devante?
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 06:06:36 PM »
Listening to the game, Jones gave more points than he scored with bad passes and defensive lapses.   But, 3-4 on 3pt shooting is always nice. 

I was at the game and this is accurate. The good news is that that it's easier to correct lazy passes or falling asleep on backdoor plays than it is to teach shooting, wingspan and athleticism. Down the road he's going to be a player.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 06:21:46 PM »
Case in point, beginning of the season in the doghouse and subsequent shooting/confidence woes of DJO.

How was he "in the doghouse?"  Because he didn't start the first two games?

Cmon...he's been shooting bad all year, and by some accounts it started in the summer.

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Davante
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 06:55:08 PM »
No worries, and I thought the same thing. Something ain't adding up here.

There are a lot of things not adding up with Mr. Buzz
Mancrush on Buycks at PG
Tinkering with the line up/stability
Rotation/substitutions--Did reggie Smith even play today? And he was starting before.
Crowder at the post
Otule had about 10 minutes today
Headgames with Jr. and DJO

OMG--Did I just criticize Buzz? Here come the aspersions.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »
willie...I have some issues as well, but Buycks is their best backcourt player right now.  And Reggie was sick today.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 06:57:54 PM »
I think I read somewhere smith was sick

And that I am to slow with my posts

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
Re: Davante
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »
We also need to get this guy's name correct...Davante. 

Can we also get Jamail's name right? There is no "Jamil Jones." Jamail Jones and Jamil Wilson.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »
Disagree that Vander Blue is the best guard over Dwight.... Cadugan is definitely not the answer... way too tentative without any offense or defense.  Jamail shows a lot of good moves... and we have to remember that he's a freshman that will get better with more playing time.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
Disagree that Vander Blue is the best guard over Dwight.... Cadugan is definitely not the answer... way too tentative without any offense or defense.  Jamail shows a lot of good moves... and we have to remember that he's a freshman that will get better with more playing time.

Are you saying jones should start over buycks and blue?

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 11:02:27 PM »
I too was upset that Big Smoove did not make an appearance much earlier in the game.  Maybe he slacked on his academics this week (?? just a thought, as it was finals week, yo)

Boone

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 11:48:50 PM »
Not like we have many/any(?) other options this season, but just not seeing Junior as the short or long term answer at point. No offensive threat whatsoever and a defensive liability. Middle of the round BE point, at best.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 01:21:47 AM »
I think that Buzz was trying to send a message to a lot of guys today, not just Gardner.  DJO, Dwight, and Jae were all sat down for the start of the second half, not as bad as how Gardner got treated, though.  Davante's good start to the season may not have been a good thing, if it has him thinking that he's got it all figured out already.

I think Buzz just wanted to shake up the team a little bit, and who better to do that against then Centenary which is working very hard to live up to their nickname, "the Gentlemen" by ranking last among Division I teams.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 01:26:13 AM »
I think that Buzz was trying to send a message to a lot of guys today, not just Gardner.  DJO, Dwight, and Jae were all sat down for the start of the second half, not as bad as how Gardner got treated, though.  Davante's good start to the season may not have been a good thing, if it has him thinking that he's got it all figured out already.

I think Buzz just wanted to shake up the team a little bit, and who better to do that against then Centenary which is working very hard to live up to their nickname, "the Gentlemen" by ranking last among Division I teams.
I hope so. And if that was the case then this was the game to do it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 11:04:22 AM »
willie...I have some issues as well, but Buycks is their best backcourt player right now.  And Reggie was sick today.
Glad you have some issues with Buycks also.
By what standard do you base your opinion that Buycks is the best backcourt player right now?
Yeah, he leads the backcourt guys in minutes and assists but he also leads in TO's, and is not the leading backcourt player in most other statistical categories--FG%; FT%; Steals; scoring etc.
Your opinion says he is the best backcourt player--the stats do not bear that out. He sure as hell is not better than DJO.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 11:38:13 AM »
Are you saying jones should start over buycks and blue?

I wouldn't give Buycks too much more time before playing Jones in his place.  If the NCAA tourney becomes out of reach for MU I wouldn't play Buycks another minute.  He is far from developed, and you can't have seniors in that stage of development.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 12:00:10 PM »
Glad you have some issues with Buycks also.
By what standard do you base your opinion that Buycks is the best backcourt player right now?
Yeah, he leads the backcourt guys in minutes and assists but he also leads in TO's, and is not the leading backcourt player in most other statistical categories--FG%; FT%; Steals; scoring etc.
Your opinion says he is the best backcourt player--the stats do not bear that out. He sure as hell is not better than DJO.

Buycks isn't having a steller year, but he's a much better option than the guy  impersonating DJO.  I'll take his 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio over DJO's 1 to 1 anytime.  And his 35.7% 3 point percentage is more than a tad better than DJO's 26%.  Geez, when DJO starts to take a 3 pointer, I now just think of that as another giveaway to the other team.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.