[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Should Be Crystal Clear To All MU Fans...  (Read 10500 times)

T-Bone

• All American
Re: Should Be Crystal Clear To All MU Fans...
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
Looking at the Wisco game and down the road...  and not to make excuse, but explain why I see the glass half full (or bottle half tipped over).

At the Wisconsin game I turned to my friend and pointed to the court, we have 4 years of division 1 experience combined out there (for what was one of our better lineups this year - Buycks and Jimmy were the only ones w/experience).  You cannot beat a system without experience and the know-how to beat it.  Wisconsin is a system team (as boring as it is). 

That said, I think if you took any of the matchups, player-to-player, I would take the Marquette guy in any game (Taylor may be tough to pass over DJO or Buycks).  I think there's much more raw talent and athleticism (which has been mentioned as an cop-out or something else useless) than we have seen.  But at the same time we have much less experience than we have seen as well.   

Give them some time.  It may not be this season, but I think this team will go down as one of our better teams. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 10:17:28 AM »
Here is what is cystal clear:
1.  We do not have a true point guard.
2.  We do not have pure shooters; we have streak scorers. 
3.  Buzz needs to change his position and practice free throws.

Practice Free throws? Give me a break. That is something any player kids can do on their own. Free throws are the least of this teams issues.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
my take on this team: five words - No. Eye. Of. The. Tiger.
My 5 words
Very Little Division One Experience

We were beaten Saturday by a better team (as of December 11th). Sometimes, instead of trying to find fault in what our players did, you just have to give credit where credit is due.  My only real problem with Saturday was that we needed to run more when we did grab a defensive rebound, to make them pay for sending 4 to the offensive glass.  Oh, and box out the shooter.

I do think that Buzz has to give the keys to this car to Cadougan, and see what happens.

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »
I agree that our lack of identity comes with our lack of experience. It really hurts not to have a core group of experienced upperclassmen to provide leadership and the intelligence that comes with experience. Last year we were so concerned about our lack of talent that we overlooked the huge value of veteran, experienced leadership who forged our mentality. This year we were too excited about our raw talent and forgot how valuable leadership is from experienced seniors who have 4 years of Marquette basketball behind them. Hopefully our current freshman class can build an identity for the next four years. As for this year, I hope Jimmy can rally the troops, but it's a lot to ask to create an identity from a mix of freshman and transfers. We have benefited from 2 great senior classes the past two years who had been through a lot together in their four years, and this year, we don't have that kind of leadership to forge an identity, or at least not yet. Hopefully they can find an identity by Feb, but they may not find it until Feb 2012.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 11:52:38 AM »
Maybe this is an oversimplification, in fact it probably is, but, isn't the starting point for Buzz to decide what our system of play is going to be, adapt that to the talent involved, then play those people? 

Buzz has to decide what our system is/will be, teach that system, and play those who can execute it.

If we are having trouble deciding how to play, it is not fair to blame the players for not establishing our "identity".

Right now, I'd say our system is not discernible or certainly not the style we have been able to recognize in the past.

So, what is it?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 01:19:17 PM »
This is a team that isn't getting an impact player next year unless there's some serious improvement over the next month.

We get Jamil Wilson next year.  But we lose Butler, so I guess you could call it a wash.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 01:23:09 PM »
We get Jamil Wilson next year.  But we lose Butler, so I guess you could call it a wash.

This year off should do wonders for Wilson. He has the ability to take games over... when he wants to.

I think a year on the bench and in the program should help him develop that attitude.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »
Many of you are freaking out because we don't have an identity. Well look at the roster and at the experience it has. They haven't created their identity yet. Give them time to play together, win together, LOSE together and figure out what that identity is.

Whoever said we don't have an impact guy coming next year you're insane. If you don't think Juan or Jamil are impact guys then I'm not sure what to tell you.

This board should be locked down for 2-3 days after every loss. This is unbelievable.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
Many of you are freaking out because we don't have an identity. Well look at the roster and at the experience it has. They haven't created their identity yet. Give them time to play together, win together, LOSE together and figure out what that identity is.

Whoever said we don't have an impact guy coming next year you're insane. If you don't think Juan or Jamil are impact guys then I'm not sure what to tell you.This board should be locked down for 2-3 days after every loss. This is unbelievable.

Ok, I think this team can still circle the wagons and get to the NCAAs.  However, look at the statements Ive bolded in your post.  which one of those guys will have experience next year?

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 02:52:09 PM »
This year off should do wonders for Wilson. He has the ability to take games over... when he wants to.

I think a year on the bench and in the program should help him develop that attitude.

I like the energy that Jamil is bringing to the bench during his transfer year.  He was by far our best cheerleader at the Wisco game.  He was consistently the first one on his feet and trying to get the fans into it. 
I think once he's suited up next season, he'll want to take over games consistently. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »

I rarely say this about any basketball player, but Jimmy Butler is to unselfish, he should be looking for his shot more than he does.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »

With respect, when has he ever done this against D1 competition?  Isn't this a stretch and unfair to expect of him?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 03:04:21 PM »

I think we should temper that a bit.  I watch a lot of Pac Ten games out this way and honestly don't recall him taking over many games last year.  The year off should help him greatly as it did Robert Jackson, but we should be realistic about expectations for next year.

If memory serves, he only reached double digits in scoring maybe 2 or 3 times all year last year...there were a number of games he did not play (injured)

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 03:23:24 PM »
Whoever said we don't have an impact guy coming next year you're insane. If you don't think Juan or Jamil are impact guys then I'm not sure what to tell you.

But they will only have a combined 1 year of D1 experience.  How can you expect them to have an impact with so little experience?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 03:29:04 PM »
Admittedly, I only saw him a couple of times at Oregon. But I watched him quite a bit in HS, and watched him very closely this summer.

He has a lot of natural, God-given ability. He's got a diverse skill-set, with his size and athleticism. The dude just glides around the court. A lot of times he could get whatever he wanted, but deferred to his teammates.

Hence my comment. He will be one of, if not the most talented guy on the roster next season. He has the natural ability to take over a game, but as I said, he's gotta have that mindset.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 10:38:18 PM »

Careful.

We saw some of this during the summer: Butler will be better then Hayward; DJO is going pro; Blue is All-Rookie and will be gone early to the NBA, etc.

Something about chickens. Hatching. And counting.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 10:53:05 PM »
Right. To date, the summer league was no more than entertainment. It's yet to pay off in games that actually count.

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 11:36:28 PM »
The biggest thing I took away from the game was this, the Badgers had at least two scoring options on each possession.  Marquette would pass the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock would boil down and we would put up a low percentage shot.

Whatever happened to paint touches?  What about running the offense through Butler, a la Evan Turner?  I think we can all agree that we lack a true point guard and a consistent scoring option.  I'd prefer the ball in Butler's hand over Buycks, Cadougan, DJO, Blue or Smith.

Just a few thoughts, let me know what you guys think.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2010, 05:59:57 AM »
What about running the offense through Butler, a la Evan Turner?  I think we can all agree that we lack a true point guard and a consistent scoring option.  I'd prefer the ball in Butler's hand over Buycks, Cadougan, DJO, Blue or Smith.

I love Butler as much as the next guy, but he's no Evan Turner. Turner was the quintessential point forward and one of the best players in the country (hence the NPOY award). Butler's a good offensive option, but I don't think we want him bringing the ball up the court. It looked easier last year because we had Acker and Cubillan getting the ball to Butler and Hayward. We may not have that this year, but that doesn't mean trying to turn Butler into our primary ball-handler.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2010, 06:40:52 AM »
The biggest thing I took away from the game was this, the Badgers had at least two scoring options on each possession.  Marquette would pass the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock would boil down and we would put up a low percentage shot.

Whatever happened to paint touches?  What about running the offense through Butler, a la Evan Turner?  I think we can all agree that we lack a true point guard and a consistent scoring option.  I'd prefer the ball in Butler's hand over Buycks, Cadougan, DJO, Blue or Smith.

Just a few thoughts, let me know what you guys think.
+1million
Finally!  Someone else said this!  Buzz needs to get this done for a few reasons.  The one you mention above and because Butler is the best scoring option and wont take control by himself.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2010, 07:59:20 AM »
Whatever happened to deflections? We need more of them puppies too.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2010, 08:02:29 AM »
I love Butler as much as the next guy, but he's no Evan Turner. Turner was the quintessential point forward and one of the best players in the country (hence the NPOY award). Butler's a good offensive option, but I don't think we want him bringing the ball up the court. It looked easier last year because we had Acker and Cubillan getting the ball to Butler and Hayward. We may not have that this year, but that doesn't mean trying to turn Butler into our primary ball-handler.
I dont think Butler has to bring the ball up to have the offense run through him.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »
I finally know what ners is talking about.

this team has no identity. Though they're young, understatementdon't see team improvement, even a tiny, little bit. The same problems on October 15 are still present today. October 15th was two months ago.  Is that really the normal learning curve for a team with NO experience?DJO has sucked all season and to make matters worse, none of the other guards can shoot either. Don't have to be John Wooden to realize we can't beat a zone.

Now, if ever there was a game that validates the value of big men, it was today's. Hammered in the paint and hammered on the boards. Can't wait for BE season to witness some of those interior ass-kickings. The rodents are chiseled. I have yet to see a whimpy Badger. Funny how no one would have called us wimpy when we had a veteran team that knew how to win close games.This is all on the bus driver. He directs the program and calls the shots. I'm happy with Buzz, but he's not infallible. Dramatically needs to change his  focus of recruiting. I'm not going to bother listing out all of the big men buzz has brought in.  It's not even that they are not good, they are just injury prone.Needs shooters and rebounders.

You can rip on Bucky and Bo all you want, but the man has built a winner everywhere he's been. Recruits his type of player and they execute his system to perfection. Will they win the Tourney, probably not, but they're consistently damn good. We have been good as well.  No one (outside of MU fans who thought our Joco transfer and top 60 recruit were going to combine for 35, 18 and 10) thought this team would be good.At this point, Buzz has a lot to learn. what coach doesn't after 4 years running programs?

A team loses 3 close games to superior competition and things need to 'dramatically' change?  Come on.  The only thing that needs to change is that the bigs we bring in need to stop getting foot injuries and when every expert picks us to be 10th we need to temper our expectations.  The latter being the bigger problem in this case.  It would also help if our 4's would stop being nut cases and transferring.

It's a rebuilding year.  Ners, we aren't going to make the tourny and buzz should catch some of the blame for the team's shooting woes and perimeter D(you can also make a case for timeouts coming 2 possessions too late).  4ever, no 'dramatic' steps to Bo-ify the program are needed.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »
For better or worse, but I think better, this is Jimmy and DJO's team. They should be the first options on offense and take control when needed.  DJO needs a little Earl Tatum in him. 

Dear Hank Raymonds in his great Theory of Coaching Basketball course many of us took when we had credits to burn would regularly offer different game situations and then ask a player in class what he'd do.  No matter what the situation, Earl Tatum would always say the same thing: I shoot!   

groove

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2010, 01:01:08 PM »
Earl Tatum SI

feedback