[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: we need jamil jones jump shot  (Read 4144 times)

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
we need jamil jones jump shot
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »
if he can prove not to be a defensive liability, buzz needs to find out if jamil can drain the threes under the big lights with dicky v holding the mic.  i love djo, but somethings not clickin right now and we can't afford to wait around.  jamil's listed at 6' 6".  he's gonna drag one of their forwards out to the perimeter, taking him out of the rebound mix.  we just need a few more options from beyond the arc.  also, if we don't start using him, giving him some p.t., we're gonna lose him.  same with eric williams

Nukem2

• All American
Re: we need jamil jones jump shot
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 01:07:13 PM »
With Fulce out, Jamail and/or Erik need to come forward.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 01:24:10 PM »
With Fulce out, Jamail and/or Erik need to come forward.

Jamail doesnt play the same position as Fulce, not even close.

Erik...he needs to figure things out.

My guess is that most of Fulce's minutes will go to Gardner, if healthy.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:26:04 PM »
if he can prove not to be a defensive liability, buzz needs to find out if jamil can drain the threes under the big lights with dicky v holding the mic.  i love djo, but somethings not clickin right now and we can't afford to wait around.  jamil's listed at 6' 6".  he's gonna drag one of their forwards out to the perimeter, taking him out of the rebound mix.  we just need a few more options from beyond the arc.  also, if we don't start using him, giving him some p.t., we're gonna lose him.  same with eric williams

I would like to see Jones and Williams succeed as well but,
Buzz or any coach should play the players that he feels give the team the best chance to win. I am assuming Buzz knows that better than anyone. He sure and hell shouldn't play someone because he is afraid he may lose them.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
Who do you think Jones should take minutes & shots from?  DJO?  Buycks? Blue, Butler, Crowder?

I don't think it's realistic to expect that a true freshman at the end of the bench is going to be a silver bullet for our current outside shooting woes, much less that he's necessarily a net positive to replace any of those guys on both ends of the floor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 01:46:33 PM »
Buzz is first and foremost a defensive coach.  Unless a guy can get on the floor and defend (a la Blue), they aren't going to see the floor.

And Buzz shouldn't play kids because "we might lose them."  If Williams doesn't deserve to be on the floor, why would it matter if he transferred?  Don't get me wrong, I want him to stay and succeed, but I'm not going to weep if players who aren't playing transfer.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
You want to know why Jones isn't playing more (or atleast why I hope is the reason he's not playing)?  Watch the tape from the Texas A & M CC game, specifically with 4:30 left in the game. 

There's a defensive rebound attempt RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM, and instead of going up to grab it or better yet, box his opponent out...he stands there and watches the guy grab the offensive rebound.  If I recall, the A & M player gets the rebound, puts up a shot, gets a second off rebound from his miss, and gets fouled/scores.

It was enough for me to scream at my tv.  We give up waaaaaaay too many off rebounds, and it's plays like that, that are the cause.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »
my thing is, we need to get some guys in there to see if they can bang down the three.  djo is presently in about an 11 game slump.  we need to give a few guys some at bats.  buzz should put a few of these guys in with some specific plays to free them up for a three.  we've got to see who can knock them down besides jae, dwight and maybe reggie.  can't have the other team campin.  no one has really stepped forward as the go to 3 guy

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 02:37:33 PM »
my thing is, we need to get some guys in there to see if they can bang down the three.  djo is presently in about an 11 game slump.  we need to give a few guys some at bats.  buzz should put a few of these guys in with some specific plays to free them up for a three.  we've got to see who can knock them down besides jae, dwight and maybe reggie.  can't have the other team campin.  no one has really stepped forward as the go to 3 guy
DJO in an 11 game slump?  I assume you missed the UWM game because we may have lost that game if not for his efforts.

Further, everyone needs to chill out regarding the non-playing of Jamail Jones and EWill.  If they deserved to play, they simply would play.  Whatever contributions they might have on the offensive end is more than negated when they can't defend and/or give up easy offensive rebounds and put backs.  Pretty much, everyone on this roster can score, but it's the ability to defend and rebound that gets you on the court.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 02:48:13 PM »

You do realize that basketball is more than scoring right???

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »

Seems to me Jones has not earned the right to replace anyone yet.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 03:30:19 PM »
Jones clearly hasn't earned the right to play, but what's the deal with EW?  If he can't even get garbage minutes now I have to wonder if he'll ever contribute.
No Finish Line

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
It's now or never for Eric Williams!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »
Regarding EWill, the conventional wisdom is that if the light doesn't go on at the start of the second year, it ain't gonna go on.  I hope that's not the case, since everything that I've heard about EWill is that he's a great kid.  

My guess is that with EWill the problem isn't lack of effort but probably too much effort.  Trying too hard and thinking too much will slow down anyone's game.

Late breaking news: Tim Maymon is trying to contact Buzz to let him know that EWill's problems will vanish if he's switched to off guard.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:42:51 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »
Jones is a very soft player. Until he shows the toughness needed to play in the BE, he'll remain at the end of the bench.
Players win awards but teams win championships

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 11:17:49 AM »
I don't think it's realistic to expect that a true freshman at the end of the bench is going to be a silver bullet for our current outside shooting woes, much less that he's necessarily a net positive to replace any of those guys on both ends of the floor.

See: Novak, Steve circa 2002-03.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 11:38:55 AM »
See: Novak, Steve circa 2002-03.

Novak was no where near the end of the bench. Not even a worthy comparision

groove

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
He's taken 5 shots, 2 from three-point range and made one. Where have you seen this outside shot? In summer pick-up games? high school youtube highlights? midnight madness? shoot arounds? or have you been with Buzz in practice watching what he can do?

feedback