Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I didn't realize it was largely our fault the UW-M game didn't sell out  (Read 17757 times)

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
Re: I didn't realize it was largely our fault the UW-M game didn't sell out
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »
Sorry the facts are the facts in when they sold tickets for the game.
You're right, Panther, UW-M should sell every game the exact same way regardless of whether they are playing Duke at home or UW-Fond du Lac.  It has sure worked well for them so far based on their attendance numbers!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »
You're right, Panther, UW-M should sell every game the exact same way regardless of whether they are playing Duke at home or UW-Fond du Lac.  It has sure worked well for them so far based on their attendance numbers!

Come'on, Duke and UW-Fond du Lac.
We are talking Badgers and MU.

Like I said UW-UWM, they sold singles only two days before the game and over 10,000. MU-UWM three weeks before, they thought it would be a sell-out. What else do you want me to say, I don't work for UWM, I never went to school at UWM and I have no family that went to UWM. I can only go by the numbers in terms how they did it before.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:49:54 AM by mupanther »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »
Come'on, Duke and UW-Fond du Lac.

We are talking Badgers and MU.

According to your argument, facts are facts.  The only thing that matters is when the tickets went on sale and it isn't important to consider other issues that may come into play.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2010, 10:52:47 AM »
According to your argument, facts are facts.  The only thing that matters is when the tickets went on sale and it isn't important to consider other issues that may come into play.
I agree, I can't do anything about it.

It's easy to be Monday morning QB!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2010, 10:53:37 AM »
Like I said UW-UWM, they sold singles only two days before the game and over 10,000. MU-UWM three weeks before, they thought it would be a sell-out. What else do you want me to say, I don't work for UWM, I never went to school at UWM and I have no family that went to UWM. I can only go by the numbers in terms how they did it before.

Not sure why everyone's jumping on you.

Obviously, UWM miscalculated.  They thought it would be a sell out and it wasn't.  If they ever have another chance to host MU (and I hope they don't), I imagine they'll do things differently if they want to fill the building.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2010, 11:13:07 AM »
FOUR YEARS THIS GAME WAS IN THE MAKING

7,000 PEOPLE SHOWED UP

VERY FEW PEOPLE CARE!!!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »
Schedules don't come out to the fans untill Labor Day.
-Bill Walton

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »
It's not UW-M, it's Milwaukee, UWM or UW-Milwaukee

It's only Milwaukee to UW-M marketers...to the rest of us it's UW-M (or UWM, I don't care)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2010, 11:23:49 AM »
It's only Milwaukee to UW-M marketers...to the rest of us it's UW-M (or UWM, I don't care)
If you don't care why did you talk about it?
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
Schedules don't come out to the fans untill Labor Day.

So what....4 years ago UWM fans knew this game was going to be played.  It was the game of the century, the JS and the talk shows got their demands met, UWM fans were going to have MU at home...come on!!

There are more UWM alums in Milwaukee than MU has in the entire STATE.

When you get this once in 50 year opportunity you have to get your butts over there.  I don't care if the actual schedule came out in August \ September, you have to find a way.  7,000 is AWFUL!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »
Everyone knows the issue with UWM as a whole.  It is bascially a commuter school that most of their students treat as an extension of high school.  That type of relationship does not generate a great deal of fan support during times when the basketball program isn't good.  

They have been trying to "reimage" itself as a residential school with a great campus life, but everything I have seen is that this effort is meeting with at best mixed results.  The campus is in a pretty dull neighborhood and when 80% of the students leave everyday, only so much excitement can be generated.  OTOH, they have increased their six year graduation rate from 33 to 43% over the past ten years...and that really isn't bad considering the type of institution it is.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2010, 11:33:14 AM »
So what....4 years ago UWM fans knew this game was going to be played.  It was the game of the century, the JS and the talk shows got their demands met, UWM fans were going to have MU at home...come on!!

When you get this once in 50 year opportunity you have to get your butts over there.  I don't care if the actual schedule came out in August \ September, you have to find a way.  7,000 is AWFUL!

Everyones to balm!
-Bill Walton

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »

Estimating that 1/2 the people in attendance were MU fans. That makes 3500 and that is not only awful, but embarrassing

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
Guys making fun of UWM basketball is like making fun of the retarded kid at school.  It is starting to look a little unseemly.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2010, 11:40:39 AM »
Everyone knows the issue with UWM as a whole.  It is bascially a commuter school that most of their students treat as an extension of high school.  That type of relationship does not generate a great deal of fan support during times when the basketball program isn't good.  

They have been trying to "reimage" itself as a residential school with a great campus life, but everything I have seen is that this effort is meeting with at best mixed results.  The campus is in a pretty dull neighborhood and when 80% of the students leave everyday, only so much excitement can be generated.  OTOH, they have increased their six year graduation rate from 33 to 43% over the past ten years...and that really isn't bad considering the type of institution it is.
Bottomline it is a commuter school that's been D1 since 1990, but really did not come on the radar untill 2001 or 2003, if you say when Bo Ryan or Pearl got there.

UWM is now on 1130 WISN and a post-game radio show from Major's G.
UWM is on TWC32 for it's games. Not to long ago they where not on tv.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »
Estimating that 1/2 the people in attendance were MU fans. That makes 3500 and that is not only awful, but embarrassing
I don't think anyone can say half the crowd was MU.
-Bill Walton

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »

I wasn't there, (didn't interest me) but from accounts I heard on this board and elsewhere the estimate was about 1/2. Lets say it was 70/30 thats still 4900 and that still falls in the embarrassing range imo.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Bottomline it is a commuter school that's been D1 since 1990, but really did not come on the radar untill 2001 or 2003, if you say when Bo Ryan or Pearl got there.

UWM is now on 1130 WISN and a post-game radio show from Major's G.
UWM is on TWC32 for it's games. Not to long ago they where not on tv.

Every program has a radio deal and most programs now have television deals even if it is with local cable companies.  I work at a (bad) D2 school whose games are on local cable.  This is more a case of the need for content more than it is increase in interest.  In fact, I wouldn't doubt that UWM gets no, or very little, "rights" for these games...and may even have to pay.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2010, 11:51:02 AM »

Your announcers did on the broadcast.

End of the day, if UW-M wanted to show their colors, show that this game deserved to be played, deserved to be located at UW-M, then you have to do better than 3,500 to 4,000 UW-M fans.

It is NOT MU's responsibility to pack YOUR GYMNASIUM.  This illusion created by UW-M fans that this is somehow MU's fault is comical.  It's YOUR HOME GAME.  Four years in preparation.  A "guaranteed" sellout.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2010, 11:57:14 AM »
Are you saying "your" as toward myself or UWM?
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »
I wasn't there, (didn't interest me) but from accounts I heard on this board and elsewhere the estimate was about 1/2. Lets say it was 70/30 thats still 4900 and that still falls in the embarrassing range imo.
That's to bad you didn't go, you miss a fun game. We could of used you.
-Bill Walton

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »
It is NOT MU's responsibility to pack YOUR GYMNASIUM. 

Especially for a game where they have no financial gain.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »
That's to bad you didn't go, you miss a fun game. We could of used you.

I attended UWM and the sight of their fans cheering against MU like they just won the NCAA Championship made my skin crawl. I am not sure I could bear that in person.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2010, 12:09:37 PM »
Especially for a game where they have no financial gain.
Is it's MU responsibility? No, but where are the MU fans to just support Marquette.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:13:56 PM by mupanther »
-Bill Walton

Informed Opinion

• Walk-On
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »
UWM  made the tickets hard to obtain at least the best seats poor marketing