Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I am happy...  (Read 12228 times)

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
Re: I am happy...
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 09:49:22 PM »
I could not have realistically expected a better result.  Nonetheless, I am frustrated because I don't think we played all that great and could have won.

Gardner continues to impress and he is much better than Otule.  But there was no answer for Plumlee - he got way to many tip ins and put backs.

Jimmy took a huge step towards being this year's Lazar.

I am concerned about DJO.  He has not looked good in any game yet.  I got multiple texts from friends of mine who are fans of other BE teams asking what's up with DJO, especially in the first half.

Junior is a good playmaker but that's about it.  But I am ready to see more of him and less Buycks.

A lot of you guys talk about our depth.  Did anyone think we would play more than 8 in games like this?  NFW.

I really hope we win tomorrow.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 09:49:52 PM »
I sat with a Duke alum...he was a bit nervous.  Thought we played well at times, silly at other times.  Glad we didn't get blown out which looked possible in the first half for awhile.

Nice come back in second half.  Some silly turnovers, missed open 3 pointers and some poor rebounding at key times.  We need someone that can stroke the ball and I still believe we lack a true PG that could have helped.

All that being said, a respectable showing by the team. 
What did you see that makes you say this?  I thought Junior was very good tonight.  Needs to be more of an offensive threat maybe, but I thought he played very well.  Just curious to get another POV or if I missed something.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 09:56:11 PM »
How is 7 assists in 18 minutes not an offensive threat?  Just extrapolate that out to starters minutes.  And Jr. should have gotten an assist on the non-goaltend call and at least one DJO missed wide open 3.  To me, one assist every two and one half minutes of game time is an offensive threat.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2010, 09:57:23 PM »
What did you see that makes you say this?  I thought Junior was very good tonight.  Needs to be more of an offensive threat maybe, but I thought he played very well.  Just curious to get another POV or if I missed something.

JC was pretty good tonight...he is distributing the ball which is what a PG should be doing first and foremost.  I don't know what he had...6 or 7 assists?  That's solid.  Very few turnovers.  He plays how I like a PG to typically play, pass first and score second....though I'd like to see him become a touch more selfish. Don't know if he's capable of it, however.  My worry when he is in there is the defense thinks it's 5 on 4 because he typically isn't a threat to score.  Somewhere there is a happy medium.  He got a few buckets tonight which was good.

My frustration is with a few of the others that are playing PG and they just don't care for the ball the way they should.  IMO

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2010, 09:58:10 PM »
Junior played awesome tonight, some of his passes are incredible. I was pleasantly surprised by gardner (his whole season so far really), and Jae and Jimmy looked very good. I love Vander's defense, but I wish they would work on his shot. He has a super low release, and if you watch his whole body twists to the left when he releases.

Going forward I'd like to see junior take over the PG spot, with buycks coming off the bench at the 2 and 3. Also, I know I'm being nit-picky here, but I'd have liked to seen Ewill and smith get some minutes today.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2010, 10:00:18 PM »
Before he's done, Cadougan will develop a three point shot.  When he does he will be very dangerous.  I see a bright future for him.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »
JC was pretty good tonight...he is distributing the ball which is what a PG should be doing first and foremost.  I don't know what he had...6 or 7 assists?  That's solid.  Very few turnovers.  He plays how I like a PG to typically play, pass first and score second....though I'd like to see him become a touch more selfish. Don't know if he's capable of it, however.  My worry when he is in there is the defense thinks it's 5 on 4 because he typically isn't a threat to score.  Somewhere there is a happy medium.  He got a few buckets tonight which was good.

My frustration is with a few of the others that are playing PG and they just don't care for the ball the way they should.  IMO

Junior played better than pretty good tonight. He was absolutely the best point guard on the floor tonight - for either team.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2010, 10:03:41 PM »
Before he's done, Cadougan will develop a three point shot.  When he does he will be very dangerous.  I see a bright future for him.

If he does that, the comparisons to Levance Fields will be very accurate.  Thought Junior was the brightest spot of tonight performance.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »
How was JC's defense?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
How was JC's defense?

Though Junior's defense wasn't GREAT...what he gave the team offensively tonight was of much more value/an asset, than was the liability of his defense.  Furthermore, considering he was squaring off against Kyrie Irving - a very possible 1 and done - and Nolan Smith some of the time..another pro pick...I'd say he did okay.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2010, 10:13:30 PM »
How is 7 assists in 18 minutes not an offensive threat?  Just extrapolate that out to starters minutes.  And Jr. should have gotten an assist on the non-goaltend call and at least one DJO missed wide open 3.  To me, one assist every two and one half minutes of game time is an offensive threat.

AND Junior hit a 2 and a 3, for a total of 5 points.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »
Aside from the fastbreak points in the first half and Plumlee in the second half, I did not think our defense was that bad.  (I understand that's a big aside from . . ., but that's not on Jr.)  I don't know if the stats would bear that out, but when we went on our run in the second half I thought it was because we were keeping them in the half court and we were better than they were at half court offense and defense.  Obviously Jr.'s not the quickest guy on the floor, but he's going to work hard and only keep getting smarter.  I can't remember any time tonight when I thought about Jr, 'this guy's killing us on d.'

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2010, 11:36:45 PM »
Last year we would be nowhere close to them in rebounds. We played great, nothing to be ashamed of

marquette09

• All American
Re: If your not satisfied with the result than you are smoking something
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2010, 11:37:47 PM »
A team that returns 90 percent of it's starters from a championship team last year plus added like 8 Hamburger All Americans!!

Did half of a man graduate?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2010, 11:46:19 PM »
Junior played better than pretty good tonight. He was absolutely the best point guard on the floor tonight - for either team.

I would hope he would see more playing time if that's the case.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2010, 12:52:37 AM »
I'd say Buycks had a very tough night, our 3 point shooting was horrible and JC showed some potential but is not an offensive threat.  I'd also say, we are still searching for our identity which is not unusual in the early season.  That all said, the effort was there and I'm optimistic that they'll figure it out.

Yea, Buycks had some really bad turnovers and he gets me nervous each time a defense tries to trap him. I just think Buzz felt he needing scoring from Buycks to keep up with Duke.

The three point shooting though was a huge key in the loss from my perspective. Numerous times a MU player had a wide open three point shot in situations that could have maybe been a sizable momentum swing, but nearly every time the shot was missed. Last year we made those huge threes quite often.

Like with any young team that also had lots of turnover on the roster, there are multiple things that concern me about this season. Of all of those concerns though, perimeter shooting, especially from three point land ranks the highest.

With college ball having a shorter three point line compared to the NBA, being a good, decent, or poor three point shooting team generally has a pretty big impact on the success or failure of a college offense. If one team is drilling threes while their opponent is mostly missing them, that's tough to make up for unless there is a large advantage in talent between the two teams.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2010, 04:59:48 AM »
Very pleased with the effort last night.  If we hit a couple more of the open looks we had and REBOUND a bit better we win.

Duke is loaded.  Not only are they more athletic than ever before but they've got great shooters and everyone seems to be 6'6" or taller. (That isn't true but Singler and Plumlee are really really good, especially plumlee)

Gardner and Cadougan showed a lot last night and Blue's offense is showing spurts...very optimistic about this season!!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2010, 05:46:14 AM »
How was JC's defense?
I thought it was acceptable.  What did you think?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2010, 05:58:59 AM »
I thought it was acceptable.  What did you think?
I'd say it was ok given the opposition.  I just am not sure that we are going to be strong enough at the pg position.  Again, the effort was there, the opponent was very talented and it's early, so I feel they'll continue to improve and be part of the conversation in March.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2010, 06:05:20 AM »
Didn't see the game, but kept up with it online. These guys played tough with the #1 team in the nation, I'm definitely proud of them and looking 4ward 2 a great season. GO MARQUTTE!!!

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2010, 06:06:21 AM »
GO MARQUETTE!!!!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »
Should have said scoring threat.  He's by FAR the best passer on the team.  If he was more of a threat to score (which I think will come in time) he'd take our offense to an entirely different level. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2010, 06:19:08 AM »

Granted, I thought Junior played well, but I hate the "extrapolate that out to starter's minutes" notion. It always reminds me of the infamous Jim McIlvane contract...Seattle figured if Mac could average 2.1 blocks in 14.9 minutes, he'd be able to average 6 blocks if he played starter's minutes. In reality, there are many reasons guys don't play starter's minutes. Maybe they don't have the cardio, maybe they have the type of game teams adjust to over the course of a full game, maybe they are best in spurts. It's easy to say that Junior would have gone for 10 points and 14 assists had he played 36 minutes, but until he does it, it doesn't make it so. Extrapolating stats is a nice idea, but it's unrealistic and unfair to the players in question.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2010, 06:45:41 AM »
Did We Win?

Then why the heck are we happy?

Warriors don't settle for second best!

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2010, 06:47:50 AM »

Excellent point.  If your PG simply does not turn the ball over hardly at all and takes the open jumper thats 3/4 of the battle.  A PG like JC will get a bunch of assists anyway.  He needs to start playing the majority of the minutes at PG.  My guess is Buzz likes DB on the defensive end.  So he is caught in between the two players strenghts right now. 

feedback