[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Lineup vs. Duke  (Read 18320 times)

chren21

• All American
Re: Lineup vs. Duke
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »
DB
DJO
VB
JFB
JC

Agree. But could see otule instead of crowder based on recent starters

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »
Reggie
Vander
DJO or Buycks
Jimmy
Otule or Crowder

All analysis thus far shows the team really struggles with Buycks at the 1..he'g got to play off the ball.  At this point he's shooting it better than DJO, so I give the nod to him.  My thought is that Buzz is going to try to start his best defensive team..and especially with Dukes guards..I see Reggie and Vander starting. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 01:09:44 PM »
It doesn't matter who starts...it matters who finishes. 

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »
This is why Duke is so good every year. Their fans, on message boards, are not allowed to look past inferior opponents. The fans are so well coached by K, that they know to focus one game at a time.

Your absolutely right. All Duke fans are the most humble college basketball fans in the country, they never look past a single opponent.....come on.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »

Honestly?  It dosen't matter?  Exactly at what point in the game does it matter then?  Just the last 4 minutes?

NumenFlumenque

• Walk-On
  • Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 01:23:39 PM »
DB
VB
JC/JF
JFB
CO

I think Vander will match up with Irving because Vander has seen Irving play firsthand and hopefully has a better read on how to stop him. DB will then get Smith, Butler will get Singler, and JC/JF, Otule will get the Plumlees.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 01:24:47 PM »
This is why Duke is so good every year. Their fans, on message boards, are not allowed to look past inferior opponents. The fans are so well coached by K, that they know to focus one game at a time.

UWGB is classic trap game for MU fans. We get caught looking ahead to Duke, don't bring our 'A' game to the BC and next thing you know we're getting out-cheered by the small contingent of fans down from Brown County.
We must not let that happen.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 01:39:18 PM »
Given his level of conditioning, I like how Buzz is using him right now. I kinda like the idea of a rested offensive threat inside against guys who are tired/in foul trouble.

VERY good point MUFan.

Especially early in the year. Gardner is doing a great job.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 01:54:36 PM »
Sure it does. We cannot get off to a bad start if we are going to have any chance of winning this game. Al  McGuire use to say if you cut off the head (point guard) the body will die.While it may not be 100% true, we have to keep Irving from taking over the game with his scoring and passing. As far as playing three guards, I think it depends on what position Singular is playing. If Singular is playing small forward, you are not going to stop him with a guard.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 01:57:38 PM »
I am pretty sure, especially since we are not ranked, that Duke fans see us as an inferior opponent and are looking past us to Kansas St. There probalby is not a Duke fan that is worried about us beating them.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »
I am pretty sure, especially since we are not ranked, that Duke fans see us as an inferior opponent and are looking past us to Kansas St. There probalby is not a Duke fan that is worried about us beating them.

While that might be true..their not too distant early season tournament past against us..shouldn't have their fans looking past MU.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 02:41:51 PM »
UWGB is classic trap game for MU fans. We get caught looking ahead to Duke, don't bring our 'A' game to the BC and next thing you know we're getting out-cheered by the small contingent of fans down from Brown County.
We must not let that happen.

Not that I think there's any real worry in terms of fan preparedness, but I think Bucknell was the classic trap game. We blow out PVAM and it looks like clear coasting up until we see Duke. My guess is some of the players may have felt that way, and if not for a dominant 24-0 second half run, UWGB is a bounce-back game rather than a trap.

My guess is that Buzz is probably glad Bucknell made us work so hard for the win, and that when he tells the players "this team is a legitimate threat to you" they will now listen. As fans, it's easy to look ahead to Duke, but my guess is Buzz now has the attention of everyone in the locker room when he tells them that Green Bay, a team that knocked off Wisconsin last year and returns the top two scorers from that game.

If we want to overlook them here on the Scoop, that's one thing. I am confident Buzz won't let the guys that will be on the court overlook them.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay-Z

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 02:58:36 PM »
Who cares about the starting lineup.  The only thing that matters is who is on the floor at the end of the game.

Buycks
DJO
Butler
Crowder
Gardner
If Jesus payin Lebron, I'm payin Dwyane Wade

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »
How can the team look ahead 2 games when Buzz has them focus on how important each possession is?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
Who cares about the starting lineup.  The only thing that matters is who is on the floor at the end of the game.

Buycks
DJO
Butler
Crowder
Gardner

Close...

Buycks
Blue
DJO
Crowder
Butler

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 03:09:09 PM »
Honestly?  It dosen't matter?  Exactly at what point in the game does it matter then?  Just the last 4 minutes?

All I know is whenever Frozen-A finishes a game, MU wins.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jay-Z

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 03:30:42 PM »
How can the team look ahead 2 games when Buzz has them focus on how important each possession is?

ummm we're not on the team...we're fans, we are allowed to look ahead
If Jesus payin Lebron, I'm payin Dwyane Wade

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 03:46:17 PM »
I think Reggie starts at point against Duke, because of Irving's quickness. Otule starts, because of Duke's size. Blue starts, because he is better than DJO. Crowder is going to play the majority of minutes at the four whether he starts or not. No need to mention Butler.

Blue IS NOT an all around better player than DJO.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »
Blue IS NOT an all around better player than DJO.

I agree..think DJO is getting a bum rap.  DJO will have a much better season statistically than Vander.  I like Vander, but also think people have gotten a little too excited over him.  He's been solid for sure, but let's not annoint him just yet.  Gardner to me has been far more impressive than Vander.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »
I agree..think DJO is getting a bum rap.  DJO will have a much better season statistically than Vander.  I like Vander, but also think people have gotten a little too excited over him.  He's been solid for sure, but let's not annoint him just yet.  Gardner to me has been far more impressive than Vander.

In my opinion vander has been much more impressive than OX. Based on the number of minutes played he has been fantastic. Mostly on the defensive end but this is more important to buzz than the offensive end. His scoring is going to come quickly as he gets more comfortable. 

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »

Just the last 24 - 0 run.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 08:53:43 PM »
Anyone else worried about turnovers if Junior doesn't start against the Duke pressure defense?  I don't feel that Reggie is remotely ready to handle that pressure. 

It will be interesting to see if Buzz feels a need to have a true big (Gardner or Otule) in to deal with the two 6' 10" players Duke will put on the court, or if he decides to go small.  Going small is going to create a mismatch at three positions with one of the guards likely trying to play Singler, and I worry more about the rebounding issues than I do the Plumlees or Kelly scoring big numbers.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
Buycks
Vander
DJO
JFB
Crowder

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »
Anyone else worried about turnovers if Junior doesn't start against the Duke pressure defense?  I don't feel that Reggie is remotely ready to handle that pressure. 

It will be interesting to see if Buzz feels a need to have a true big (Gardner or Otule) in to deal with the two 6' 10" players Duke will put on the court, or if he decides to go small.  Going small is going to create a mismatch at three positions with one of the guards likely trying to play Singler, and I worry more about the rebounding issues than I do the Plumlees or Kelly scoring big numbers.

I didn't see the Duke game tonight..but..I don't feel any more confident in Junior handling the pressure than I do Reggie.  Both make me nervous with the ball in their hands against stiff pressure.  Buycks - I feel a lot more confident with him in the game in situations like that...but we lose a lot when he has to play the "1."  He's much better off the ball...should be interesting to see how it plays out.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2010, 03:58:46 PM »
Buycks
DJO
Butler
Crowder
Otule

with Vander getting significant minutes. It will be interesting to see who Duke starts. It will be Irving, Smith and Singler. Just don't know which of the other 3 traditional players will start

feedback