Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean may have done it  (Read 17274 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Crean may have done it
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 05:11:59 PM »
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names"
John F. Kennedy

"She was a great piece of ass"
John F. Kennedy

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
What's the excuse for not winning now going to be since Crean appears to have talent on the roster?

What's the excuse going to be here if he does win?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 05:20:13 PM »
What's the excuse going to be here if he does win?

Who cares if he wins? And for what reason would somebody need an "excuse?"

He's still an insufferable horse's ass and the biggest poser in sports...in fact (and I know some around here like him), I think his personality is as much like Bruce Pearl as it can get. I'm not talking about recruiting practices...just personality. And Crean isn't half as charming.

Good luck Indiana!!! Don't forget to hold your nose when you crack the .500 barrier in 3 years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 05:27:16 PM »

He's still an insufferable horse's ass and the biggest poser in sports...in fact (and I know some around here like him), I think his personality is as much like Bruce Pearl as it can get. I'm not talking about recruiting practices...just personality. And Crean isn't half as charming.

Good luck Indiana!!! Don't forget to hold your nose when you crack the .500 barrier in 3 years.

The hatred here is hilarious.  Again, where is this hatred for Majerus, O'Neill, etc.   Comical.  Apparently many people "needed an excuse" if you read the comments here over the last few years. 

Yes, he's a horse's ass, but unlike Majerus and O'Neill, he delivered us a Final Four, one of the best players in the world, the Big East, Buzz Williams, etc.  We aren't on this board talking about MU in the current context if it wasn't for this horse's ass.

It seems to me a lot of people here have egg on their face today predicting Crean's firing in a few years (didn't happen and won't happen), inability to get a big man (that has been thoroughly debunked), etc....and so now the lashing comes out more and more.

MU is a great program, IU has more upside.  That's reality, that's what some of us have been correctly saying for several years, that's why Crean took the job there.  The fact of the matter is that IU presents more recruiting opportunities than MU...Crean was right and that clearly irks a lot of people here.  Until Buzz or someone else can change that, the perception (and reality) will continue.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 05:36:23 PM »
The hatred here is hilarious.  Again, where is this hatred for Majerus, O'Neill, etc.   Comical.  Apparently many people "needed an excuse" if you read the comments here over the last few years.  

Yes, he's a horse's ass, but unlike Majerus and O'Neill, he delivered us a Final Four, one of the best players in the world, the Big East, Buzz Williams, etc.  We aren't on this board talking about MU in the current context if it wasn't for this horse's ass.

I think the difference between the other two is time. Majerus left 20+ years ago and KO left 16 years ago.

I think the venom will go away after awhile, especially if MU keeps progressing like it appears to be.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 05:37:32 PM »
It seems to me a lot of people here have egg on their face today predicting Crean's firing in a few years (didn't happen and won't happen)

For the record, my prediction is he'll be out by Nov 2012, and until that point I won't have egg on my face.  Of course, he also won't have many of his "key" recruits before then, which will make winning hard, which will make keeping him hard.

Hey - but no sense in talking about until it happens ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »
I think the difference between the other two is time. Majerus left 20+ years ago and KO left 16 years ago.

I think the venom will go away after awhile, especially if MU keeps progressing like it appears to be.

I'm pretty sure some fans here are going to take their hatred to the grave on this one.  Not all, but certainly some.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 05:46:19 PM »
For the record, my prediction is he'll be out by Nov 2012, and until that point I won't have egg on my face.  Of course, he also won't have many of his "key" recruits before then, which will make winning hard, which will make keeping him hard.

Hey - but no sense in talking about until it happens ;)

Rocky....wasn't referencing you....there were others that said he would be fired after 2 years (i.e.....would have already been fired)....still others that said 3 years....you were at 4 years, but you know you're going to have to pay.   ;)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure some fans here are going to take their hatred to the grave on this one.  Not all, but certainly some.

I will. I'm sorry he's even associated with Marquette. I cannot stand him.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »
Good for Crean, I would be estatic to get a big man that is even close to as highly ranked as him at MU, but if history has shown us anything, Cody is probably a bit overrated.

Luke, RSCI - 34, 13.1 mpg, 4.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg career playing at ND

Tyler, RSCI - 18, 17.4 mpg, 9.3 ppg, 4.6 rpg last year for a pretty bad UNC team, although he did have a big game in their exhibition opener

Cody: RSCI (current) - 14, ?, ?

Thanks for the numbers on his brothers...if family history is the indicator, this is little more than the signing of a "serviceable" big man.
But, as Seinfeld would say...."not that there is anything wrong with that".

In Big Ten, its a big key to competing.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »
I'll believe Zeller plays for Indiana when he steps on the court.

The Maestro

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 06:33:31 PM »
Like it or not landing Zeller and Etherington, along with Perea, Jurkin and Patterson next year probably means that IU will be in the upper portion of the B10 pretty quick.

He still has to coach them though, so there can still be a problem.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »

MU is a great program, IU has more upside.  That's reality, that's what some of us have been correctly saying for several years, that's why Crean took the job there.  The fact of the matter is that IU presents more recruiting opportunities than MU...Crean was right and that clearly irks a lot of people here.  Until Buzz or someone else can change that, the perception (and reality) will continue.

I don't hate Crean, but don't like him either after how he left. That said, Indiana obviously does offer better recruiting opportunities.

Above all else, the state of Indiana is a vastly superior recruiting base for players in comparison to Wisconsin. For whatever reason, a sizable number of fans both in basketball and football don't take in account enough just how big a factor it is to be a college head coach in a state with a lower level recruiting base. I'm a big fan of Badger football and i'd often hear fans complaining about recruiting classes of Barry/Brett in comparison to say Michigan/Ohio St. or other traditional powers who compete for national championships. Well, schools like Michigan/Ohio St. in the Big Ten and others like Florida/USC not only have better tradition to lure recruits, they have vastly superior home recruiting bases. States like Ohio, Michigan, Florida, California, Texas, etc. churn out way more high level football recruits for coaches in those states to try and keep home and it is easier overall to keep a recruit in state than it is to get a kid to leave.

Now Indiana isn't a bastion of fabulous high school football talent, but for high school basketball talent, it's clearly a better recruiting base than Wisconsin is for Bo Ryan and Buzz Williams to tap in state recruits. Mix in the tradition of Indiana, fans there have good reason to expect their coaches to recruit well. Buzz and Bo, or any coach at UW/MU simply have a tougher job when trying to attract high end recruits and recruiting is a massive key to winning in college sports.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »

Who cares if he wins? Seriously? you are one of the jilted lovers who comments on every loss he has. At least be honest about it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
He still has to coach them though, so there can still be a problem.

Well, to be fair, upper portion only means the top 6 or so of the conference. I think Crean can manage that. He may not be ready to contend against a guys like Izzo or Painter for the conference title, but there's no reason with this type of talent he can't make them a consistent top half team and NCAA regular.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 07:07:59 PM »
Who cares if he wins? Seriously? you are one of the jilted lovers who comments on every loss he has. At least be honest about it.
I'm a "jilted lover?" I hated the jerkoff when he was at Marquette and expressed those feelings repeatedly. That hardly qualifies me as "jilted" or a "lover." And I've never, ever been anything less than honest about it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
Well, to be fair, upper portion only means the top 6 or so of the conference. I think Crean can manage that. He may not be ready to contend against a guys like Izzo or Painter for the conference title, but there's no reason with this type of talent he can't make them a consistent top half team and NCAA regular.

I agree.  Let's face it, the guy won about 25 games a year at MU and always double digit wins in the Big East with the talent he got to MU.  More than likely, he will get better talent (long term) at IU as the stain of the scandal is further and further away.  With more talent, I'd be hard pressed to not see him win at least that many games a year if not more.  That will bum some people out here and probably even put Canadian Dimes into the fetal position, but that's the way I see it unfolding.

Whether he can succeed in the NCAA Tournament is another matter that only time will tell. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »
Let's face it, the guy won about 25 games a year at MU...With more talent, I'd be hard pressed to not see him win at least that many games a year if not more. 

When you say 'about 25 games a year', do you really mean 'about 21 games a year, and more often than not, won 20 games or less'??

And if so, how many games are you hard pressed to not see him win at least, if not more?  25?  21? 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »

Tyler is still playing so he still has plenty that he can accomplish.  Doesn't help that they have no PG to set the bigs up.

Cody is clearly expected to be the best of the three brothers.  We would all be doing handsprings if we landed this kid.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2010, 07:58:06 PM »
When you say 'about 25 games a year', do you really mean 'about 21 games a year, and more often than not, won 20 games or less'??

And if so, how many games are you hard pressed to not see him win at least, if not more?  25?  21? 

No, actually I didn't.  The first two years were Deane's leftovers, taking over a losing team that didn't even make the NIT.

When he had talent, he won consistently 25 (or more) games per year except one year when he won 24.  When the talent was waning or young, he won about 20 games per year.

IU will suck again this year, probably 8th or 9th in the league.  That will start to change next year and big time in the years to follow....where he will have a lot of talent.  When he's had a lot of talent, he's won a lot of games.  That won't change.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2010, 08:05:07 PM »
I cannot wait for the next coach to take IU back to the promised land. Crean is out of kitchen passes. I look forward to that day.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2010, 08:30:05 PM »
Rocky....wasn't referencing you....there were others that said he would be fired after 2 years (i.e.....would have already been fired)....still others that said 3 years....you were at 4 years, but you know you're going to have to pay.   ;)
[/quo

Who? I'd be sincerely interested in the multiple posters ("others") who said he 'd be fired after 2 years and after 3 years. Don't recall that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:37:39 PM by Lennys Tap »

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
"I never inhaled"
-Bill Clinton

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2010, 08:35:50 PM »

Tyler is still playing so he still has plenty that he can accomplish.  Doesn't help that they have no PG to set the bigs up.

Cody is clearly expected to be the best of the three brothers.  We would all be doing handsprings if we landed this kid.

Some of us would rather scream like a chick and squirm.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2010, 08:41:19 PM »
"There are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq..."
G.W. Bush