Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What does everything think about the Buycks at PG situation...  (Read 10140 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
What does everything think about the Buycks at PG situation...
« on: November 08, 2010, 03:27:16 PM »
I am just wondering.  I never was overly impressed with his decision making and ball handling.  He didn't look great in the exhibition.  Smith looked pretty good and I don't think Junior was terrible either. 

Do people think its' a seniority thing where Buycks is getting the starting nod?  Do you think it's just temporary to get some feet wet?  Do you think it's to send some messages?  Not sure how to read into it all.  Like to hear some thoughts...
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

79Warrior

• All American
Re: What does everything think about the Buycks at PG situation...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »
I am just wondering.  I never was overly impressed with his decision making and ball handling.  He didn't look great in the exhibition.  Smith looked pretty good and I don't think Junior was terrible either. 

Do people think its' a seniority thing where Buycks is getting the starting nod?  Do you think it's just temporary to get some feet wet?  Do you think it's to send some messages?  Not sure how to read into it all.  Like to hear some thoughts...

I think nothing has been decided. A exhibition game is a far cry from BE competition. I would read little into this, except perhaps Dwight is working his tail off in practice.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »
5 toughest guys are going to play.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »
You have to earn playing time with Buzz, much less a starting spot.   He is going to give the start to the senior who played in the system last year (Buycks) until the incoming players earn it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:31:35 PM »

Buycks ran the point at JC, he knows the system and is the most experienced player. It makes sense for him to run the show at this juncture.

Junior could eventually win the job, but he needs to play better D, not to mention that his experience is very limited. Reggie is a true freshman and saw the bulk of his minutes playing the 2-guard with Buycks at the point.

Buycks is a much better player than many posters give him credit for. I think he'll surprise some people this season.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »
Buycks is the senior, has the system's experience, is a better defender and is more of an offensive threat.

Junior is probably the better ball handler and traditional passer/point guard, but has not displayed the offensive traits, especially the ability to hit from the outside.  With the losses of Acker and Cubillian, Buycks is the better option for this.

Smith displayed speed, ball handling and hit from the outside, but is a freshman with alot to learn. 

If Buycks starts at PG, the most interesting situation to observe will be who comes in first off the bench, Junior or Smith, and who plays the most. 

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 04:12:28 PM »
I'd, like Buzz would rather have experience on the court than the ability to do a few more things. This is the reason Buzz has been so successful because he (we) knows the guys know the value of a possession, or the importantance of that once free throw late in the game!

Im not saying Buycks  will start Jan , but for now he will. DJO  didnt start until after Orlando  last year. However,  I do think Dwight  has the best shot oit of the three pgs, despite going 2-10 in ex.

MarqBB77-03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
I so not understand the criticism of Buycks.  I thought he played well in the exhibition, except for his shooting.  He shooting will come around.  Butler did not shoot particularly well during the exhibition either and no one is worried about his play.

"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."  Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »
Buycks is the senior, so he is going to get a hard look-see at PG.  While I like Dwight and think he'll contribute significantly, I don't think he'll end up being the PG as he tends to dribble far too much.  Buzz's offense demands far more ball movement.  Guess we'll have to see how things play out.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »
Can't win long term with Buycks at the 1. He's better suited as a relief or off the ball.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 05:51:22 PM »

Get them in
SS Marquette

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 06:21:45 PM »
Bucyks is Buzz's mancrush. he is not the solution at PG, and it will likely blow up in Buzz's face.

Give JC and Smith the opportunity. They are the future.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 07:03:40 PM »
I said on here after day 1 of the Pro-Am, that Steve "Homer" True had Buycks at PG.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 07:13:56 PM »
Bucyks is Buzz's mancrush. he is not the solution at PG, and it will likely blow up in Buzz's face.

The old live in the past. The young live in the future. The wise live in the present.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »
Buycks won't be the starting point guard.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 08:36:59 PM »
The old live in the past. The young live in the future. The wise live in the present.

And the losers live in their folk's basement.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 08:39:31 PM »
Buycks comes across to me as shoot is the first option, the second option is shoot and the third option is set up the offense.  I wonder how many quick jacked up shots Buzz will tolerate.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »

I thought it was
Erik Williams
Jeronne
Junior
SS Marquette

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 09:45:04 PM »
Think about it:
Buzz knows more about basketball than any of us.
Buzz has been at every practice, while none of us have been at any.
Buzz knows what he wants to do with this team.
If you think about it, this whole thread is moronic.
Buzz is paid big bucks to win games and he is not going to start a player that does not optimise his chances of succeeding.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »
Think about it:
Buzz knows more about basketball than any of us.
Buzz has been at every practice, while none of us have been at any.
Buzz knows what he wants to do with this team.
If you think about it, this whole thread is moronic.
Buzz is paid big bucks to win games and he is not going to start a player that does not optimise his chances of succeeding.
And buzz is going to see that DB dribbles to ,uch tobe his point guard; tough, Buzz will get DB lots of minutes in other ways.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 10:30:17 PM »
I think most people will agree that Buycks knows the system better than anyone.
It's just that he's a 2G and NOT a PG.

Knowledge of system or not, his shoot/drive first mentality is not best suited to the PG position.
SS Marquette

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 03:23:44 AM »

+1.  Buzz message to Junior: toughen up.

TillysDad

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:29 AM »
does it really matter who is the "PG" any way, the way we run our offense, players are all interchangable.  Buycks will see a lot of minutes this year regardless of spot he is at.  I think many people get to wrapped up in defining positions anymore.  Buzz has said he wants basketball players, who can shoot, pass and dribble and be a threat

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 09:50:22 AM »
does it really matter who is the "PG" any way, the way we run our offense, players are all interchangable.  Buycks will see a lot of minutes this year regardless of spot he is at.  I think many people get to wrapped up in defining positions anymore.  Buzz has said he wants basketball players, who can shoot, pass and dribble and be a threat

That's why I don't think Buycks is our best option.  Not trashing the kid.  He easily could have taken the next step and will be very very effective this year.  I still know what I saw last season.  Turnovers, fade away 18 footers (some of which went in), getting the layups swatted, etc.  I would like to see a true point on the floor.  That's all.  Time will obviously tell.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

feedback