[Today at 08:35:27 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: D Wade Video at IU's Haunted Halloween BB Event  (Read 13497 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
D Wade Video at IU's Haunted Halloween BB Event
« on: October 30, 2010, 10:09:01 AM »
IU held their Haunted Halloween event last night and it was also part of the OV for Cody Zeller....the recruit they see as the "savior" of their program since several other premier recruits are waiting to see what he does before committing....if he goes to IU so will they...

They showed two videos as part of their program-obviously for the sake of Zeller; one was Calbert Cheaney and the other was D Wade.

As an MU fan it really bothers me that Crean is using the sole marquee recruit of his MU tenure to recruit for IU....especially since D Wade would never have been at MU if we were in the Big East at the time due to his partial qualifier status. It also bother me that Wade allows his name and fame to be associated with IU.....certainly not what I'd expect for someone who had his jersey hung as one of MU's all time greats.... it would be like Jordan doing an infomercial for K and Duke.

If Zeller picks IU (over UNC and Butler) the real question is how did Tanned Tommy convince him that he could better prepare him for the NBA (given his long history of recruiting bigs and getting them to the next level) over Roy Williams who has probably sent more first rounds bigs to the league than any other active coach? The Zeller family is supposed to be very basketball savvy....how they haven't seen through the tanned one's BS by now is amazing to me.

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: D Wade Video at IU's Haunted Halloween BB Event
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »
it would be like Jordan doing an infomercial for K and Duke.

Not at all. Marquette and Indiana arent rivals and Jordan never played for Coach K.  So your comparison is worthless.

Like it or not, like TC or not...he and Wade have a special bond. I have no problem with him still staying close to TC.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »
The one situation I'd have a problem with it is if it was a recruit that both MU and IU were after.

If TC wants to use him to impress the 13 year olds he's recruiting, fine by me.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 10:36:14 AM »
How did leveraging Wade work out when we were recruiting Shumpert? It's the best thing Crean has going for him. When he brings Wade into the mix you know it's desperate times.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »
How good is Cody Zeller and what type of style does he play? I've heard he's the best of the 3 brothers. The Indiana fans seem to think he is the second coming. I guess based on his brothers I've assumed he's not really a true big man, but more in the mold of a Novak type of player, playing more on the outside.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »
How did leveraging Wade work out when we were recruiting Shumpert? It's the best thing Crean has going for him. When he brings Wade into the mix you know it's desperate times.

Just beat me to it.
Honestly, if a video of Dwyane Wade is the deciding - or even any - factor in where Zeller goes, then the kid is a complete goof. Who would be enough of a dope to think the success of a guard at Marquette nearly a decade ago somehow impacts what will happen with him, a big man, at Indiana? And I'm somewhat confident Roy Williams can roll out a few former UNC players if that's what it takes to impress the kid.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:44:57 AM »
How good is Cody Zeller and what type of style does he play? I've heard he's the best of the 3 brothers. The Indiana fans seem to think he is the second coming. I guess based on his brothers I've assumed he's not really a true big man, but more in the mold of a Novak type of player, playing more on the outside.

Most overhyped trio of brothers since Hanson (the band, not the hockey players).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
Was it a taped message (I am fine with as DW3 loves what CTC did for him) or a highlight video (lame...how does that have anything to do with IU basketball?)?

After his first couple years of disaster, CTC needed these three recruits desperately...sounds like he has them locked up.    

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 11:06:27 AM »

The Zeller family is supposed to be very basketball savvy....how they haven't seen through the tanned one's BS by now is amazing to me.

Texas....ask yourself that same question.  How much time have you spent one on one with TC in your life?  How much time have the Zelllers?  Yet here they are with IU in the final 3.  It doesn't mean he'll pick IU, but my point is a lot of people have picked TC as their head coach.

I was extremely impressed with Steve Novak and his family.  With your words, it sounds like you're calling the Novak family, and Steve himself, stupid or naive for choosing to play for Crean.

I don't think that's fair nor do I think that's what you truly mean, but one can come to that conclusion about any recruit that chooses to play for TC.  Conversely, since Buzz hasn't landed a quality big man either, does that mean all recruits are seeing through Buzz?

This is why the Buzz vs TC stuff is nonsense.  People still have raw emotions about the guy that seems to wipe away the logic rather quickly.

Pakuni...they may be overrated but MU would have been screaming like little girls to have any of the three.

As for the Wade part...people...get over it.  He and Crean have a tight bond.  Some of you make it like your girlfriend / wife is chummy with their ex.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
Pakuni...they may be overrated but MU would have been screaming like little girls to have any of the three.

MU would be screaming like little girls to have any semi-athletic 7-footer with some basketball skills, something we haven't achieved in 20 years.
That hardly supports the status of the Zellers as McDonald's All-Americans and perceived program saviors.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 08:37:22 PM »
MU would be screaming like little girls to have any semi-athletic 7-footer with some basketball skills, something we haven't achieved in 20 years.
That hardly supports the status of the Zellers as McDonald's All-Americans and perceived program saviors.

The only people that are saying program saviors are fans that are trying to make some kind of hay.  No one seriously in the know is calling any of them program saviors.

As for whether they deserve the notoriety they have received, well it seems you and others are very into ratings (me, not so much).  So let's look at the ratings that you support so much.

Cody Zeller   RSCI 14th  

Tyler Zeller   RSCI 18th  Class of 2008...attends to North Carolina

Luke Zeller   RSCI 34th   Class of 2005....is easily the worst of the three...attended Notre Dame and was a 4 star high school player...final 5 were Stanford, Kansas, Illinois, Notre Dame and Missouri.  

Again, we would scream like little girls to land any of the three.  No one is saying program savior unless to make some kind of anti-Crean point.  No one thinks he is (a program savior), but it would certainly be a big get for IU because he has been considered the best of the three Zeller kids and would likely lead to landing a few more recruits in state.  But no, not  a program savior.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:07:47 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
As an MU fan it really bothers me that Crean is using the sole marquee recruit of his MU tenure to recruit for IU....

I think your frustrations are misplaced.  I don't blame Crean for using every option at his disposal.  Blame Wade for lending his name to recruit for another school.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 09:26:19 PM »
wouldn't IU fans and players be saying "if our school is so great, why is our coach not using one of our many superstars from the past to do videos?"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »
I don't disagree with you Ziggy...I think it is strange myself. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 09:41:47 PM »
wouldn't IU fans and players be saying "if our school is so great, why is our coach not using one of our many superstars from the past to do videos?"

They are using their own past players as well, it's just that people here only focus on Wade's appearance.  But they have and continue to use IU former players as well.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 12:42:06 AM »
They are using their own past players as well, it's just that people here only focus on Wade's appearance.  But they have and continue to use IU former players as well.

And despite all that, Crean is still a fairly crapty recruiter (Wesley and Lazar the exceptions of course).  Hey, if you're full of crap, some people can see it, some can't.  Not a fault of yours (the one full of crap). usually they're the ones most disconnected to their crap trowing. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 08:07:42 AM »
I love wade as a basketball player, but he is a total dork for hyping Indiana BB in any form.

Does anybody know if he has helped Buzz and MU last year or this year--if he has I haven't heard about it. And if he has, then I can change my opinion.

If Crean was at DePaul or ND, would wade be helping him there--how about at UW?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 08:34:14 AM »
I could care less if Crean is using Wade to hype their program.  Dwyane is his own person now.

With that said, is it some type of culture thing at Indiana to name drop?  Do they teach at class on that in Bloomington?  Chico?  I say that because reading Tom Crean's twitter is embarassing.  Kissing ass, name dropping, whatever you want to call it.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »
The only people that are saying program saviors are fans that are trying to make some kind of hay.  No one seriously in the know is calling any of them program saviors.

As for whether they deserve the notoriety they have received, well it seems you and others are very into ratings (me, not so much).  So let's look at the ratings that you support so much.

Cody Zeller   RSCI 14th  

Luke Zeller   RSCI 34th   Class of 2005....is easily the worst of the three...attended Notre Dame and was a 4 star high school player...final 5 were Stanford, Kansas, Illinois, Notre Dame and Missouri.  

Again, we would scream like little girls to land any of the three.  No one is saying program savior unless to make some kind of anti-Crean point.  No one thinks he is (a program savior), but it would certainly be a big get for IU because he has been considered the best of the three Zeller kids and would likely lead to landing a few more recruits in state.  But no, not  a program savior.

This is why people dislike you so.
You know very well I've repeatedly said I don't put much stock into player rankings, and yet you've built an entire response around the false notion that I "support them so much" and am "very into" them.
You're basically selling yourself out for a nonsensical mission to defend Tom Crean against any perceived slight (in this case, the apparently hurtful labeling of his top recruit as overhyped).
Bravo for you.

By the way, Luke Zeller was a McDonald's All-American and Indiana Mr. Basketball (over Dominic James and Josh McRoberts) who went on to average about 4 ppg in college. And you're defending him against the overhyped label?
Uh-huh.

muchalktalk

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 09:52:30 AM »
Is calling a kid, whom you've probably never seen play, overhyped, in order to make his potential coach look bad any better?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 10:01:25 AM »
Here's a question- In 2-3 years, when Crean is hired to rebuild the struggling Akron Zips program and uses Wade, will we still care?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 10:06:17 AM »
Wade can do whatever he wants and I don't think it's a huge deal, but I think it's in poor taste and kind of embarrassing for Crean to be using one of Marquette's former players to recruit for him. I don't recall Bill Self using Deron Williams to get kids to come to Kansas. How about Roy Williams...does he use Hinrich to get kids to NC? Does Calipari use Marcus Camby to get kids to Kentucky? I could extend the list. It's just kind of an awkward and odd situation and I would think Indiana fans would kind of think the same thing. Shouldn't Crean be selling his program rather something he fell into 7 years ago?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
What confuses me most is how a Nike player can support an Adidas program.
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 11:10:24 AM »

Cody Zeller   RSCI 14th  

Please uninclude me in the "we" who would scream like a little girl if MU landed any of the Zeller brothers.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:12:07 AM by Lennys Tap »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 11:35:28 AM »
Sure would have like Zeller over James, Matthews, or Jerel.  I forgot about Burke too. We could have really used another big guy on the wings to defend the Lopez twins.

(Heavy sarcasm), although the other two would have been good pickups.