[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #9 backcourt in the country....  (Read 4463 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
#9 backcourt in the country....
« on: October 29, 2010, 08:44:40 AM »

NavinRJohnson

• All American

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
they go up against 5 of the other top 11, none at the Bradley Center
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 09:15:17 AM »
We will sure find out.  Five games against his other 11 elite backcourts, and none of them at the Bradley Center:

9. Marquette: Darius Johnson-Odom is a big-time scorer who averaged 13 points in his first season in the Big East. Freshman Vander Blue is ideal for Buzz Williams’ system, and Dwight Buycks and Junior Cadougan will give the Golden Eagles another stellar group of guards.

12. Vanderbilt – away Dec. 29
8. Georgetown – away Feb. 13
6. Pittsburgh – away Jan. 8
3. Villanova – away Feb. 2
1. Duke – neutral court Nov. 22
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Re: #9 backcourt in the country....
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:23:14 AM »
Why is it lofty?
I would think it would be pretty easy to find more than 10 backcourts with > 23 average pts (just guessing) returning.... Its assuming every one of those players is going to take the next step in their progression. A lot of players reach their peak potential pretty early and don't step up to that next level.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 09:36:08 AM »
I would think it would be pretty easy to find more than 10 backcourts with > 23 average pts (just guessing) returning.... Its assuming every one of those players is going to take the next step in their progression. A lot of players reach their peak potential pretty early and don't step up to that next level.

I think MU will be a lower top 25/receiving votes team this year.  I don't think they have even a top 40 frontcourt so that means that their backcourt must be better than a lot of other team's for them to perform at that level.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 09:48:01 AM »
Nice to get some respect, and one that isnt in the "underrated" type of mentions. But I agree its a little lofty, especially when all other previews have not given our players and team this much respect because of how little we will know about the new players.

Im surprised Kansas State isn't on that list. Yes they lost Clemente, but Pullen might be the best guard in the country and they basically have the same amount of question marks after Pullen (probably less) in the backcourt as we do after DJO....and right now, you'd think Pullen gets the benefit of the doubt over DJO.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »
I am not sure it is lofty. They are overrating Blue, but do not even mention Smith. DJO only average 13 points last year, but I expect him to average 18 this year. Blue 6 pts, Buyckes 8pts, Cadougan 10 pts, Smith 4. We are good, because you can put our starting guards on the bench and we still have better guards on the floor than a lot of other teams.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »
I am not sure it is lofty. They are overrating Blue, but do not even mention Smith. DJO only average 13 points last year, but I expect him to average 18 this year. Blue 6 pts, Buyckes 8pts, Cadougan 10 pts, Smith 4. We are good, because you can put our starting guards on the bench and we still have better guards on the floor than a lot of other teams.

Not sure if they are overrating Blue. He turned a lot of heads during the USA practices and tournament. Maybe our staff is downplaying how good he really is going to be immediately.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »
What makes you think Junior can get 10 pts per game?  Nothing he showed last year or in this summer's Pro-Am gives me any comfort to think he can get that many.  Can he dish the rock to others to get their averages up?  No doubt.  But I'm not as confident with his scoring abilities yet to pencil in 10 a game in the scoring column.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:36:27 AM »
What makes you think Junior can get 10 pts per game?  Nothing he showed last year or in this summer's Pro-Am gives me any comfort to think he can get that many.  Can he dish the rock to others to get their averages up?  No doubt.  But I'm not as confident with his scoring abilities yet to pencil in 10 a game in the scoring column.

I don't know about 10 a game, but during Midnight Madness he was getting to the hoop at will (not that there was a ton of defense).

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 10:41:40 AM »
They are overrating Blue, because they are considering him to be the starting point guard. Blue will start if MU goes to a three guard lineup and than in that case he will be at the three not point guard. Maybe they are underrating Cadougan. I think Cadougan will average 10 a game. He will take the ball to the hoop, which will usually result in him dishing off to another player. However, he will take enough shots and free throws to average 10. He is not really a three point threat.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 11:08:31 AM »
I think MU will be a lower top 25/receiving votes team this year.

I don't know about that, I'd love it if you were right...but I'm doubting we crack the top 25 this year (next year we should be all over it). Receiving votes maybe.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 11:10:52 AM »
MU will be well within the Top 25 for much of the season.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 11:21:17 AM »
#9 seems pretty high, but our backcourt would be much more effective if we had more size in the post to collapse defenses a bit more.  Hopefully someone will emerge to do that, but I'm not holding my breath.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 01:02:55 PM »
They are overrating Blue, because they are considering him to be the starting point guard. Blue will start if MU goes to a three guard lineup and than in that case he will be at the three not point guard. Maybe they are underrating Cadougan. I think Cadougan will average 10 a game. He will take the ball to the hoop, which will usually result in him dishing off to another player. However, he will take enough shots and free throws to average 10. He is not really a three point threat.

If you are right about Cadougan (averaging 10 per game) we are in for a VERY good season.  I figured he would average 5-6 points per game.  I hope you are right and I am wrong on this count.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 01:06:35 PM »
We don't need JC scoring.  We need him distributing and playing D.  Maybe we need him scoring another year, but we have plenty of scoring. 

If they leave the lane open, sure, go for it....but we don't need it.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »

If you are right about Cadougan (averaging 10 per game) we are in for a VERY good season.  I figured he would average 5-6 points per game.  I hope you are right and I am wrong on this count.
  That's how I see Junior's scoring as well.  and Rara's right.  we need him to penetrate and distribute.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »
#9 in the country seems a bit lofty to me.  Look I love our team and support them, but I can't say they are a #9 backcourt when it consists of a potential starter in a guy who tries to take everyone he faces on one-on-one And1 mixtape style the great majority of the time he touches it on the offensive side of the ball.  Smith, VB and Cadougan who are all big '?' marks really with some hype behind each, but really we haven't seen them play at all (2 of them) and barely with Junior.  DJO was great last season, but I think he still needs to show he can do it again this season as well and isn't a one year wonder.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:45:06 PM by GoldenWarrior »