Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cracked Sidewalks background  (Read 7619 times)

Secret of the Ouse

• Starter
Cracked Sidewalks background
« on: October 20, 2010, 09:56:33 PM »
I love cracked sidewalks and have been going there for MU news for awhile, but can we get a background of a Marquette game that is actually sold out? 

I'm not sure if there is some significance to the picture that is currently in the background but I think it would look a lot better with a packed BC.

In the end it doesn't really matter but I just thought I would throw this out there.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Cracked Sidewalks background
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
Well, here's the thing .. if you notice, that picture was from the C-USA era of MU basketball.

Knowing that the Big East will eventually implode and we'll be back in C-USA, I figured I could keep that picture and be ahead of the game when we come full circle.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
I love cracked sidewalks and have been going there for MU news for awhile, but can we get a background of a Marquette game that is actually sold out? 

I'm not sure if there is some significance to the picture that is currently in the background but I think it would look a lot better with a packed BC.

In the end it doesn't really matter but I just thought I would throw this out there.

+1

chren21

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:06:32 PM »
Well, here's the thing .. if you notice, that picture was from the C-USA era of MU basketball.

Knowing that the Big East will eventually implode and we'll be back in C-USA, I figured I could keep that picture and be ahead of the game when we come full circle.

Well that certainly is "glass half empty"

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:13:05 PM »
Thanks for your feedback.  That's Kevin's department.  I do know that it took him a while to build that background.  When I joined, the one thing he told me not to mess with (ever) was the background.  However, it has been a while and we are due a refresh.  Kevin, fix that sh*t.

Since you brought it up, let's expand the question a bit to the broader audience.  

Any other feedback or suggestions for the blog?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:25:48 PM »
I thought this was going a different way rather than the image.  What is the background of the Cracked Sidewalks writers and alumni (and Scoop admins)? 

There is limited background on some of the bloggers, but not all.  Obviously it's your right to protect your privacy - if you don't want anyone to know you were Jeff from Real Chili or shined Ziggy's medallions, those are your personal demons. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 12:15:48 AM »
Based on the exchanges on the board the last week or so (I am specifically thinking about the thread about Hood's announcement that never happened) it sounds like Crackedsidewalks/MUScoop started due to a disagreement with the people who run the Scout board or another board.   

Is there some history there that people who have joined in the past few years do not know about? 

Also, are Crackedsidewalks/MUScoop intended to be partners?  Because why don't either of the sites affiliate with the Scout board or other sites?  Crackedsidewalks/MUScoop is only beat by Rosiak anyway so it might not matter anyway.

Not trying to draw out any drama, but just want to get some context.

I love both sites, though.  You guys do a good job running both.  We all owe a lot of entertainment and quality bball discussions to you guys. 

You guys should sell ads.  This is such a targeted group that something like the Marquette spirit shop or a college basketball memorabilia seller might bite.  This may be a small group in number, but a very concentrated group as far as interests go which might be appealing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 12:28:20 AM »
Nothing to do with the Scout board.  Just a couple of us that wanted to invest some time and love into our passion...MU hoops.  The contributors have since grown and include some MU Scoop founder(s).  It's a good relationship with good people.  We don't always agree on stuff but everyone's heart is in the right place.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 06:07:50 AM »
Based on the exchanges on the board the last week or so (I am specifically thinking about the thread about Hood's announcement that never happened) it sounds like Crackedsidewalks/MUScoop started due to a disagreement with the people who run the Scout board or another board.  

Is there some history there that people who have joined in the past few years do not know about?  

Also, are Crackedsidewalks/MUScoop intended to be partners?  Because why don't either of the sites affiliate with the Scout board or other sites?  Crackedsidewalks/MUScoop is only beat by Rosiak anyway so it might not matter anyway.

I love both sites, though.  You guys do a good job running both.  We all owe a lot of entertainment and quality bball discussions to you guys.  

You guys should sell ads.  This is such a targeted group that something like the Marquette spirit shop or a college basketball memorabilia seller might bite.  This may be a small group in number, but a very concentrated group as far as interests go which might be appealing.

Hoops,

To reinforce what Chicos said -- Cracked Sidewalks was started almost six years ago purely based on passion.  The blog format was just emerging at the time & offered a new way to discuss MU basketball (as compared to a message board), and for professional reasons (in my case) it's important to participate in emerging social media platforms.

Later when MUScoop began the founders here reached out to Chicos and me and offered to partner, enabling the blog posts to scrape into their community.  What a great idea that turned out to be for both parties -- we have reinforcing content and the collective means to reach a larger community of MU fans.  I still greatly appreciate the teaming that goes on with MUScoop.

Regarding ads -- we've never taken them.  Our focus is not about covering costs or making a few pennies, it is to disintermediate traditional media and offer MU fans a different, independent perspective on the program. We've considered ads and field offers for partnerships/sponsorships regularly but for now we're content as-is and consider your annual donations to Al's Run and Walk as payment enough.  So you know we also sponsor Bo's Warrior Day Golf Outing every summer as well.

In terms of full discloure (T-Bone's request) I'm a 1991 Marquette graduate. While at MU, I was a student manager for the men's team working for both Dukiet and O'Neill.  Henry Sugar had some fun with my background here (but at least the photo is legit).

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/tim_blair

Anyway, thanks for reading CS and MUScoop -- & as Henry said .... all suggestions/feedback are welcome
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:35:08 AM by NYWarrior »

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 07:39:18 AM »
If you guys ever need help with a new background, I can always help out.  I definitely love what CS and MUScoop has done for me this past few years since discovering both sites.  It's really great that there is such a tight knit group of people that share the same passion as I do.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 08:42:46 AM »
In terms of full discloure (T-Bone's request) I'm a 1991 Marquette graduate. While at MU, I was a student manager for the men's team working for both Dukiet and O'Neill.  Henry Sugar had some fun with my background here (but at least the photo is legit).

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/tim_blair

Haha...That background is almost Mbakwe-esque.  When Dos Equis needs a new Most Interesting Man in the World, you should apply.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 09:03:43 AM »
Haha...That background is almost Mbakwe-esque.  When Dos Equis needs a new Most Interesting Man in the World, you should apply.

No, no....but Rob should turn in his badge at work and become a fiction writer

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 09:07:38 AM »
Mental note, you can read all about the evolution of Warrior chat on the wiki:

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/marquette_internet_forum_history

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 09:08:48 AM »
If you guys ever need help with a new background, I can always help out.  I definitely love what CS and MUScoop has done for me this past few years since discovering both sites.  It's really great that there is such a tight knit group of people that share the same passion as I do.

This.  You have proven to be quite talented at Photoshop.  I was hoping you were still lurking around and were willing to chip in!

Time to do an MUScoop Web Department role call!  I work with Utile et Dulce and he's very good on the Usability side.  I'm a software architect, so unless Cracked Sidewalks gets infinitely more complex there's not a ton I can offer to the project.

There must be other web professionals whos talents we can tap to give CS a facelift :)  I don't know how much flexibility Blogger.com affords us, though.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 09:18:17 AM »

Also, are Crackedsidewalks/MUScoop intended to be partners?  Because why don't either of the sites affiliate with the Scout board or other sites?  Crackedsidewalks/MUScoop is only beat by Rosiak anyway so it might not matter anyway.

Not trying to draw out any drama, but just want to get some context.

I love both sites, though.  You guys do a good job running both.  We all owe a lot of entertainment and quality bball discussions to you guys. 

You guys should sell ads.  This is such a targeted group that something like the Marquette spirit shop or a college basketball memorabilia seller might bite.  This may be a small group in number, but a very concentrated group as far as interests go which might be appealing.

I've thought for a while the MUScoop-Cracked Sidewalks Partnership should actually go further. I used to travel to Cracked Sidewalks a lot more, but since MUScoop now posts all blog articles from CrackedSidewalks, its hard to find a reason to drop over there since I know I won't miss a new post.

I think the sites should actually combine completely, obviously over time, like many other fan blog sites that have forums and other fan features along with the blog. That would make the site even more powerful because you would not be splitting up the people who just want to to read the blog from the people that just want to post and read opinions (also would raise your Technorati authority).

Not in the design of something like Arrowheadpride.com (an SB Nation blog), but in that style where the site is giant social and debate hub for fans.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 09:23:48 AM »
I've thought for a while the MUScoop-Cracked Sidewalks Partnership should actually go further. I used to travel to Cracked Sidewalks a lot more, but since MUScoop now posts all blog articles from CrackedSidewalks, its hard to find a reason to drop over there since I know I won't miss a new post.

I think the sites should actually combine completely, obviously over time, like many other fan blog sites that have forums and other fan features along with the blog. That would make the site even more powerful because you would not be splitting up the people who just want to to read the blog from the people that just want to post and read opinions (also would raise your Technorati authority).

Not in the design of something like Arrowheadpride.com (an SB Nation blog), but in that style where the site is giant social and debate hub for fans.

I agree.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 09:35:30 AM »

I should address that comment, as it's not correct.

The "Ahoya" board (aka Rivals) was operated by Mike Juno and John Dodds.  In 2004, after disagreements about editorial policy, they went their separate ways and Dodds created the Scout site MUHoops.    Eventually, Mike Juno dropped out of sight.

Later, a better mousetrap was invented as MUScoop, and the Ahoya site died out (just checked there .. what a ghost town: Mo Acker just decided to skip his final year!).

But indeed, that original schism reverberates today .. while we all bleed blue and gold and want to see Marquette succeed, the main difference between Scout and Scoop is editorial policy, with one tight and the other loose.  

As you saw in recent threads .. that issue remains bothersome to a segment of MU faithful.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 09:50:55 AM »
Great info.  I never came across the history on the wiki.

Some archived posts from the Sports Only site (nothing for the Geocities link + not all links to posts actually work - strangely the link to Madison being desperate works):
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.sportsonly.com/a/6025

This thread is particularly interesting, and may be relevant...   ::)
http://web.archive.org/web/20010818160603/www.sportsonly.com/a/6025/bin/2811.html

Old RingOutAhoya:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.RingOutAhoya.com

Edit: Fixed links.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:00:20 AM by T-Bone »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 09:52:20 AM »
I thought this was going a different way rather than the image.  What is the background of the Cracked Sidewalks writers and alumni (and Scoop admins)? 

There is limited background on some of the bloggers, but not all.  Obviously it's your right to protect your privacy - if you don't want anyone to know you were Jeff from Real Chili or shined Ziggy's medallions, those are your personal demons. 

I'm a '99 grad, which due to the wonder of the Engineering co-op program means I was "at" school for all five years of the Deane era.  Also, my wife is an alum, which is the only reasonable way that my unhealthy obsession persists.

A few years ago, I discovered the wonder of regression analysis, a copy of Dean Oliver's "Basketball on Paper", and started my own blog for stats.  Tim and Kevin quickly reached out and invited me to join CS.  The rest has been a lot of self-directed research and way too much time on Pomeroy's site.  Can't believe it's been almost three years.

Thank you for reading.

-Rob

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 10:00:28 AM »

Personally, I really like this idea.  Of course, I'm not the one to figure out how to make it work.  :)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 10:12:40 AM »
On a side note: what ever happened to Alum91 from Ahoya?  Does he have a different username here on scoop?

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »
Love reading the game analysis on Cracked Sidewalks.  I've even emailed the guys directly a few times to ask questions or get clarifications and have always received a prompt and thoughtful response.  Over time I've gradually moved over to spend more time on this site because the information comes out so much faster (even if it's mixed in with about 80% nonsense) and includes CS posts.

As for the actual background image, it could be so much better.  The background on my blackberry used to be JFB's two handed jam against Syracuse and I loved it.  Maybe a black and white picture of Al?  D-Wade throwing down against Kentucky?  Buzz getting hangtime?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 10:21:04 AM »
On a side note: what ever happened to Alum91 from Ahoya?  Does he have a different username here on scoop?

I remember that guy.  Man, he was awesome!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
I remember that guy.  Man, he was awesome!

You're Alum91?!?!?!  Eesh, I don't know how I missed that.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »
Personally, I really like this idea.  Of course, I'm not the one to figure out how to make it work.  :)

On an SMF forum that I admin we use something similar to the SMFBlog mod.  That could be the exact mod, but I'd have to look into it further because I implemented it years ago.

You create a forum that's marked as your blog forum.  New Thread creation is limited to certain users, but everyone can reply.  A new thread generates a blog post on the main site's landing page.  Because anyone can comment on the thread, people that are already visiting the forum can read the thread like they would any normal thread.  If people would rather just read the news (blog) they can consume it that way with a little "4 Coments | Write Comment" link at the end of the text.

It's worked like a charm for us for years.  It's about video games, so feel free to ignore the content.  We customized the layout years ago and we could make it look however we wanted.

Here's the 'blog' generated from all new News forum posts:  http://www.dusk-gaming.com
Here's the forum:  http://forums.dusk-gaming.com

Edit:  The forum is private so that's why you can't see most of the boards :)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:37:27 AM by Skatastrophy »