Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who is left  (Read 29533 times)

Marquette65

• Starter
Who is left
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:05:11 AM »
Since MU's prime targets are heading else where I'm wondering, who is left on MU's wish list?

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Who is left
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:15:32 AM »
Since MU's prime targets are heading else where I'm wondering, who is left on MU's wish list?

Plenty of  "prime targets" remain, including Mike Shaw, Rodney Hood and Keith DeWitt.
The negativity around here is mind-boggling. The simple fact of the recruiting game, at least at a program not on the Duke/Kansas/UNC/MSU level. is that you're going to get a lot more "No" than "Yes" from targets.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:17:18 AM by Pakuni »

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:18:17 AM »
Plenty of  "prime targets" remain, including Mike Shaw, Rodney Hood and Keith DeWitt.

I think we have a decent shot of one of either Hood or Shaw. Other than those two I don't know who else we are seriously on in the top 100, with all the recent commits. Check out the thread on that JUCO named God's gift. With spots open in the Spring maybe Buzz can land him.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 11:23:32 AM »
Here is the Scout list.

http://marquette.scout.com/a.z?s=415&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2011

Obviously the big names at top...Faust, Hood and Shaw.  It looks as though at this point we have offers out to Derrick Wilson, Kevin Thomas and Dre Henley.  I have no idea where we stand with any of them.

My guess is that Buzz is working through a JUCO list pretty strongly at this point too.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:25:22 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 11:27:50 AM »
I agree on the gloom on the board, even if that is not what the original post was suggesting necessarily.  We already have a 4-star top 100 player:  http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/basketball/recruiting/player-Juan-Anderson-98713

Three straight years with at least a four start/top 100 player is a great thing and something not every program gets.  I think Anderson is better rated than McNeal or Hayward were rated as well.  He is already something to be excited about.

Shaw and Dewitt would make this a home run class in my opinion.  You can't pass on Hood either.

Of course you want the best players possible, but Buzz can use these last two scholarships on role players as it looks like we have a lot of fire power for the next few years.  

ESPN and Rivals have us looking at Kevin Thomas:  http://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/basketball/recruiting/player-Kevin-Thomas-76877

Still lots to be excited about.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »
I think Buzz will probably whiff on a lot of the names we are hearing.

Having said that, the one thing I don't worry about with this staff is recruiting. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 11:33:14 AM »
How do you know who MU's prime targets are?  Some recruiting service said so?  I think Buzz haas his own "hot' list and we will see plenty of talent excited to become Warriors.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:33:32 AM »
Furthermore the spring is bound to bring other surprises.  I am not sure if this board ever mentioned Devante Gardner at this point last year, but he had attended camps here and we were in on him early enough.  There could very well be someone similar that will "blow up" their senior season.  Plus again...the whole JUCO season is going to be played, and those players are only in their second full season away from high school ball.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
Also don't forget about Jamil Wilson. He's basically a new recruit that has a year to learn everything about Buzz's system. Would not be surprised if he starts next season.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »
Also don't forget about Jamil Wilson. He's basically a new recruit that has a year to learn everything about Buzz's system. Would not be surprised if he starts next season.

+1

Crowder and Wilson may start next year at forward with DJO as the other wing.  Nice lineup to look forward to.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 12:45:49 PM »
I think Buzz will probably whiff on a lot of the names we are hearing.

Having said that, the one thing I don't worry about with this staff is recruiting. 

Wow, talk about stating the obvious   ::)  we have two open spots, apparently if we don't sign all the recruits we are in on even though we only have two spots buzz must've whiffed on them.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 12:49:27 PM »
Wow, talk about stating the obvious   ::)  we have two open spots, apparently if we don't sign all the recruits we are in on even though we only have two spots buzz must've whiffed on them.

Not what he said. 

chren21

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 12:58:38 PM »
I thought Shaw was the key but the more I think about him not taking the ACT yet baffles me.  Why would he not just take it to see how he does?  You can take it again and agian.  Something smells wrong with him in that sense...

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
Not many bigs left in the top 100.I think we get Dewitt or someone we don't know or go JUCO. I thought this was gonna be the year we could lasso in a four-star big,with all the good wings and guards we have,I'm bummed about it.
Especially with how good the rest of the Beast is doin recruiting wise. 

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 01:20:42 PM »
I hope we are looking hard at Derrell Robertson 6'-9" or 6'-10", 230# +/-, a 40 inch vertical.  He would appear to have all the tools to develop into a prototype "4" power forward.  And evidently, the academics are in order. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 01:35:10 PM »

Not what he said. 

Thank you, Hoops.  To be explicit, I don't expect us to get a commitment from Faust, Shaw, or Hood.  I'm still not worried even if we don't.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »
Not many bigs left in the top 100.I think we get Dewitt or someone we don't know or go JUCO. I thought this was gonna be the year we could lasso in a four-star big,with all the good wings and guards we have,I'm bummed about it.
Especially with how good the rest of the Beast is doin recruiting wise. 

Agreed.  Shaw is still there though so we can be optimistic. 

Dewitt might be perfect since he could ideally step in and play right away with Otule and Gardner.  That would give us an adequate front line.  Shaw being the fourth person up front would make us really tough.  There is still hope that we can have a competitive inside presence for the next few years.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 02:03:29 PM »
We had two great recruiting classes in a row. That is why we are not getting these guys. No guard in their right mind would want to commit. We also have 2 center's or at least people that will be playing center. It is not going to be easy with how young most of our players are. Be content with whoever we get because it's not going to kill us if we get a project and miss out on the top priorities

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »
Forgot to mention ... I believe MU still is in the running for top 100 recruit Jarion Henry from Texas.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »
I agree on the gloom on the board, even if that is not what the original post was suggesting necessarily.  We already have a 4-star top 100 player:  http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/basketball/recruiting/player-Juan-Anderson-98713

Three straight years with at least a four start/top 100 player is a great thing and something not every program gets.  I think Anderson is better rated than McNeal or Hayward were rated as well.  He is already something to be excited about.

Shaw and Dewitt would make this a home run class in my opinion.  You can't pass on Hood either.

Of course you want the best players possible, but Buzz can use these last two scholarships on role players as it looks like we have a lot of fire power for the next few years.  

ESPN and Rivals have us looking at Kevin Thomas:  http://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/basketball/recruiting/player-Kevin-Thomas-76877

Still lots to be excited about.
According to Rivals and ESPN, Anderson is not rated as high as you say
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 02:15:15 PM »
jhags15, I disagree.  If you want to compete for Big East titles you have to be solid in recruiting every year. Crean got into trouble with that. Most good player's want to play with other good player's and they want to Win.  That Trumps playing time more time than not.  That is my opinion anyway.  The only time it does not seem to apply is when a new coach takes over and he sells player's on the fact that they are going to be the face of the rebuilding.  Crean at IU, Lavin at St Johns, Rice at Rutger's. Crean at MU when he got Wade, Merritt, Blankston and Sanders.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »
Forgot to mention ... I believe MU still is in the running for top 100 recruit Jarion Henry from Texas.

So why wasn't he at Marquette Madness?  Seemingly at the last minute... 

Change of heart by either party?

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »
According to Rivals and ESPN, Anderson is not rated as high as you say

Rivals?  That is his best rating and it is in the exact link I gave.  4 star and #69 in the country.  http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Juan-Anderson-98713

Based on always calling Blue a 5-star on this board, it seems like people rely on Rivals mostly.

ESPN grades him at a 92 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102064

Junior Cadougan was also a 92 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/269/class/2009

Anderson is a good get.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 02:56:47 PM »
We had two great recruiting classes in a row. That is why we are not getting these guys. No guard in their right mind would want to commit. We also have 2 center's or at least people that will be playing center. It is not going to be easy with how young most of our players are. Be content with whoever we get because it's not going to kill us if we get a project and miss out on the top priorities

You do realize this kind of excuse is laughable considering West Virginia -- which has been picking up talent left and right under Huggins -- just landed two top 15 Point Guards from 2011 in the span of two days.

It's lazy to suggest that somehow MU's talent is stratospheric to the point where our targets are shy to compete in the program and therefore don't commit. Not being of sound mind isn't the reason we missed on our top targets.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 02:58:39 PM »
Anderson isn't a good get, and MacDonald is good enough to be a Buckeye, but somehow wasn't good enough for us.    Our little willie is getting cranky.   You always get in trouble listening to your little willie. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.