[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Austin Rivers to Duke  (Read 10699 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Austin Rivers to Duke
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 05:09:13 PM »
Yep, some of America's elite institutions are in the shiitiest parts of town. Of course they can pull it off because they're not middle of the road schools.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Be careful
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 05:09:47 PM »
Some here are sounding very white and privileged right about now.

Exactly what “stunned” you about Yale University, ChicosBailBonds?

And what about Yale, Princeton, USC or the University of Chicago makes them “all the exact same” as Marquette, reinko?

reinko

• All American
Re: Be careful
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 05:38:20 PM »

And what about Yale, Princeton, USC or the University of Chicago makes them “all the exact same” as Marquette, reinko?

What makes the the same?  Or if allowed, may I correct myself and say similar. 

Gee...hmmm  If you actually read chapman post's about how surprised he was that Duke's campus seems to be so far removed from the reality that most Durham residents live.  A city that is economically depressed with high unemployment, failing public school systems, and crime rates higher than the national average.

And my post, that compares the cities of Princeton, NJ, New Haven, CT, the south side of Chicago, and South Central Los Angeles to similar community issues that folks in Durham, NC face.

So settle down Whitlock with throwing the race card around and let the adults speak.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 05:39:14 PM »

Oh, good grief.
It's "white and privileged" to discuss the obvious dichotomy that exists when a respected institution of higher learning is surrounded by a poor, blighted neighborhood?
Please explain why, oh Enligtened One.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 05:40:52 PM »

I was stunned that an Ivy League school was surrounded by a neighborhood with very high crime rates.   You go on the campus and it's one thing, you walk around the block and it's a different situation all together.  People have this viewpoint of Yale (or USC) based on a brochure and pretty pictures, set perhaps in the countryside or in a nook of town like Georgetown is, but that's not the case.  (all that being said, the crime rates around Yale are much lower now than they were in the 1980's...similar story with Marquette...policing is better, policies by the university, etc)

I don't think there's anything to be "careful" about, that's just the reality of the situation.  Has nothing to do with race which I imagine is where you were going with your comment on "white".  

vs New Haven

chapman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »
Yes, you guys have nailed it.  I drive by the Duke campus at least twice a week and have been on campus a few times. The campus is beautiful, clean, quiet, well-maintained, and yes it could be described as "privileged”.  Duke’s campus would seem to fit if it were transplanted into parts of Chapel Hill or right next to Research Triangle Park, more modern, high investment, and recently developed areas.  It’s a whole different world compared to much of Durham, which is run down, poor, rough, disadvantaged, and very high in crime and gang activity.  Tuition for a year at Duke is more than a house only a couple minutes away.  Chicos nailed it – you would expect the quiet, wealthier appearance of these campuses to be in the suburbs, based on how things have changed since they were founded – it's unfortunate, but it's the reality.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:55:48 PM by chapman »

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
You are lucky.  I work in a group consisting of me and 12 women.  I just worked my way out of a conversation about prom dresses.

Vietnamese nail salon?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 07:26:57 PM »
It always amazes me how their campus is a couple minutes from the dump that is downtown Durham yet is completely isolated and looks like a completely different world.

Is Marquette any different? I am from the Milwaukee area, so I was already familiar with the neighborhoods just west of campus, but was still amused when I took my campus tour of Marquette. The guide mentioned all the great things Milwaukee had to offer, and encouraged everyone to go east, to see downtown, the East Side, etc. But it was as though the city simply ended going west at Mashuda. We didn't even get to the end of the block before the girl was talking about driving down to the lakefront. We have plenty of ghetto just a couple minutes from our own campus.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »
Is Marquette any different? I am from the Milwaukee area, so I was already familiar with the neighborhoods just west of campus, but was still amused when I took my campus tour of Marquette. The guide mentioned all the great things Milwaukee had to offer, and encouraged everyone to go east, to see downtown, the East Side, etc. But it was as though the city simply ended going west at Mashuda. We didn't even get to the end of the block before the girl was talking about driving down to the lakefront. We have plenty of ghetto just a couple minutes from our own campus.

Ah, guess what? Marquette is right smack in the inner city.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Whitlock?
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »
What makes the the same?  Or if allowed, may I correct myself and say similar. 

Gee...hmmm  If you actually read chapman post's about how surprised he was that Duke's campus seems to be so far removed from the reality that most Durham residents live.  A city that is economically depressed with high unemployment, failing public school systems, and crime rates higher than the national average.

And my post, that compares the cities of Princeton, NJ, New Haven, CT, the south side of Chicago, and South Central Los Angeles to similar community issues that folks in Durham, NC face.

So settle down Whitlock with throwing the race card around and let the adults speak.

I have no idea what reinko means when he refers to others here as “Whitlock.” A term of endearment or a slap in the face? Which is it?

And, yes, some in this thread do sound very white, very privileged and a little scared of certain others with whom they share this great country.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
Re: Whitlock?
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 11:03:03 AM »
I have no idea what reinko means when he refers to others here as “Whitlock.” A term of endearment or a slap in the face? Which is it?

And, yes, some in this thread do sound very white, very privileged and a little scared of certain others with whom they share this great country.

Nobody here has done anything but state facts. You're just searching for something. Get over it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 11:05:28 AM »
Ah, guess what? Marquette is right smack in the inner city.

Yeah...so why do people seem so shocked that other universities have similar situations?  ?-(
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Have to agree with brewcity77
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »
Yeah...so why do people seem so shocked that other universities have similar situations?  ?-(

There is an odd feel to many of the posts in this thread. As brewcity77 asks, why are so many people here “shocked” that many urban colleges and universities -- from local or regional schools to the biggest names in academia -- must deal with all that comes with being in the city?

It is news to some here that New Haven, Conn., is a tough town? Or that Hyde Park on the South Side of Chicago is no place for the faint of heart? Urban locales bring urban issues, and have since the start of “city” time.

The best schools are able to thrive in such settings.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
Re: Have to agree with brewcity77
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
There is an odd feel to many of the posts in this thread. As brewcity77 asks, why are so many people here “shocked” that many urban colleges and universities -- from local or regional schools to the biggest names in academia -- must deal with all that comes with being in the city?

It is news to some here that New Haven, Conn., is a tough town? Or that Hyde Park on the South Side of Chicago is no place for the faint of heart? Urban locales bring urban issues, and have since the start of “city” time.

You readily admit that urban campuses bring "urban issues" (politically correct euphemism if I've ever heard one). So why are you accusing others of white elitism for saying basically the exact same thing? And by the way, it doesn't make someone racist to not want to be in an area because its infested with crime and drugs.

All anyone here is doing is pointing out the irony that there are incredibly pristine, privileged pockets of cities where certain universities are located that are literally feet away from ghettos and the poorest areas of town.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »
I would have thought the Univ of Chicago to be in / have a decent area (much like the other schools mentioned), but I had a friend come up from the U of C one weekend, and she thought MU had a much better selection and availability of apartments than the U of C neighborhood. I'm not from Chicago though so I wouldn't know much of their campus to begin with.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Whitlock?
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 03:35:52 PM »

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:03:02 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Have to agree with brewcity77
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »

Your problem is that you seem to think that we shy away from these schools, look down on them, etc, etc because of their surroundings.  That's not the case at all.  Just stating facts of reality of the blighted neighborhoods that surround these schools, many of which WERE NOT LIKE THIS when the schools were founded. 

The irony of your comments is that you are the one throwing out racial accusations with your tone when no one here has done what you accuse them of.  Good day

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »
You certainly don't wander far off the campus at U Penn either....in some cases only a block or two.....VERY bad part of Philly....

feedback