Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Right now, I plan on staying all 4 years"  (Read 3856 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
"Right now, I plan on staying all 4 years"
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:27:08 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=572362

Weighing pros and college
James has big decision to make
By TODD ROSIAK
trosiak@journalsentinel.com
Posted: March 1, 2007

While some of the festivities surrounding Saturday's game with Pittsburgh will focus on the departing seniors, there remains the possibility that Dominic James could be playing his last home game for the Marquette Golden Eagles as well.

Will Dominic James turn his back on MU at the end of the season and head to the NBA?

No decision has been made and with 20th-ranked MU still fighting for post-season positioning, there are clearly more pressing matters on the mind of the sophomore point guard.

But in a recent interview regarding his future plans, James made it clear he's open to exploring all options, even going so far as to say if he had to make a decision today he'd not only return to MU for his junior season but also play out his eligibility as a senior.

"Right now, I'm just focusing on taking it one game at a time," James said. "And of course I'm trying to get my team as far as I can in the NCAAs because that will have an impact on what my decision is.

"But right now I plan on staying all four years."

That the 5-foot-11 James would consider staying beyond his sophomore year seemed a reach entering this season.

He burst onto the college basketball scene as the centerpiece of the Golden Eagles' highly touted three-guard recruiting class by averaging 15.3 points, 4.5 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 1.6 steals per game, winning the Big East's rookie of the year award and helping lead MU back to the NCAA tournament.

That, combined with his athleticism, quickness and leaping ability, made James a viable candidate to make an early jump to the National Basketball Association.

He returned to MU amid considerable fanfare and has been a driving force behind a 22-8 record and a likely bid to yet another NCAA tournament.

James again has had some superlative moments along the way.

He scored a game-high 25 points against Duke in the championship game of the CBE Classic. He scored 18 straight points down the stretch - including the game-winning three in the closing seconds - to lead MU to a victory at Valparaiso.

And his two free throws with 0.9 seconds remaining to beat Pittsburgh in overtime on Jan. 21 rank right up there in the all-time clutch performances in MU history.

But James' shortcomings shooting the basketball - 39.4% overall, 28.3% from three-point range and 63.4% from the free-throw line - have been apparent, and raised questions in the eyes of some regarding his NBA readiness were he to decide to make the jump.

"I don't feel like I need anybody else to tell me what I need to work on; I've got a coach for that," said James, who's averaging a team-best 15.2 points and 4.7 assists. At the same time, James doesn't deny that the future has weighed on his mind at points throughout the season.

"Any player that's in the position to do that can be vulnerable to thinking about that," he said. "Possibly one year away your dream could come true, so it's impossible not to think about it. Right now that's not my concern. If that comes, then it comes.

"But right now, for me it's all about enjoying the moment, cherishing the moment with my teammates and getting wins."

James and Golden Eagles coach Tom Crean both acknowledged there's a plan in place to address the issue once the season is finished, and that many factors will be considered.

"We talk about things during the season, no question about it. But it'll be far more tangible when the season is over down the road and you start to see who's coming out, where he fits, what he needs to improve upon - all those things," Crean said. "But gathering information, listening to what's being said, quizzing people . . . I feel that's a huge part of my responsibility to them."

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: "Right now, I plan on staying all 4 years"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:30:20 AM »
what an idiotic time to run this article.....geez.  Doesn't MU have big game tomorrow?

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 08:32:46 AM »
Really don't want fans to chant "1 more year" for DJ, when we they should be chanting "2 more years".

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 08:40:07 AM »
what an idiotic time to run this article.....geez.  Doesn't MU have big game tomorrow?

Whether they run this article now or not is completely irrelevant. Why? They (the team) are already well aware of the situation and I'm sure talk about it regularly. This article will not make it any more of a distraction than it already may or may not be.

"We talk about things during the season, no question about it. But it'll be far more tangible when the season is over down the road and you start to see who's coming out, where he fits, what he needs to improve upon - all those things," Crean said. "But gathering information, listening to what's being said, quizzing people . . . I feel that's a huge part of my responsibility to them."

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
I'm sure that if James gets positive feedback at the end of the season in terms of where he'd be drafted, he'd leave. If not, he'll stay.  Until he hears from the scouts, I think the discussion is pointless. 
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 09:22:39 AM »
If he stays and the three big recruits pan out and everybody else progresses at the same rate they have, then we are national championship contenders the next two years.    Enjoy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
What Did You Expect...
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 07:46:11 PM »
him to say, "I'm bolting"?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: What Did You Expect...
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 07:51:55 PM »
him to say, "I'm bolting"?

Good point.

Yes, this is already an issue for the team, but if anyone thinks DJ saying "I'm gone after this season" wouldn't make things worse, they're fooling themselves.

DWade never said he was going anywhere, until the post-season press conference during which the world learned "it's time for Dwyane Wade to take his game to the NBA."

Could DJ stay 2 more years? Absolutely. Could this also just be a case of DJ saying the right thing? Absolutely.

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 10:09:02 PM »
I'm thinking this is more likely than him going, obviously that's just a guess though. But think about it, next year is a very strong draft in terms of guards comming out, and if he doesn't improve as much as they do, then he'll be in the same spot he is this year being a possible late first round pick which I'm guessing he wouldn't want to be.

The Lens

• All American
so cute...
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 02:50:56 AM »
"But right now I plan on staying all four years."

Reminds of those young and innocent times of when Nick Saban said he was staying at Miami.

He is G-O-N-E...when articles like this are printed it means they're gone.

GONE.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback