Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wes' new ride  (Read 21412 times)

mikem91288

• Team Captain
Wes' new ride
« on: August 29, 2010, 02:28:41 PM »
Saw Wes and Jimmy Cruising Marquette last night in his brand new Audi R8. Black one. It was a sweet car.
Warrior in the class of 2011.

chapman

• All American
Re: Wes' new ride
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
Showing Jimmy what he can get if he blows up this season.  ;D  

Awesome to see Wes continuing to stay around and help the team.  It would be more than enough for him to just go about his business and let the program say "look who's in the NBA", but playing in the Pro Am, hanging out with Jimmy, and mentoring Vander, a great ambassador for the school.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:39:08 PM by chapman »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »
I'm not a car guy so I had to look this one up.

Sweet whip!

For those who don't know what it looks like (like Wes's but not his ACTUAL car):
SS Marquette

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 03:17:50 PM »
number of times wes gets jumped...4 over/under

you need to be packing heat,  driving that thing around.

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 04:44:46 PM »
number of times wes gets jumped...4 over/under

you need to be packing heat,  driving that thing around.

In Portland?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »
In Portland?

Yeah dude.  A lot of hipster on hipster violence out there.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 05:09:53 PM »
Milwaukee

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »
Sturgeon Bay
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Are you sure it was an Audi R8?
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
If Wesley Matthews has really bought an Audi R8, he is driving a car whose starting price is $147,500. It is certainly within his new budget, of course, but a bit surprising for a guy who seems so smart and grounded.

If Wesley wanted European, what was wrong with a VW Jetta SEL with leather-wrapped steering wheel and multifunction trip computer?

An awful nice ride at about $24,000.

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: Are you sure it was an Audi R8?
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 09:14:48 PM »
If Wesley Matthews has really bought an Audi R8, he is driving a car whose starting price is $147,500. It is certainly within his new budget, of course, but a bit surprising for a guy who seems so smart and grounded.

If Wesley wanted European, what was wrong with a VW Jetta SEL with leather-wrapped steering wheel and multifunction trip computer?

He just got checks for $5 million...he can buy any damn car he feels like. It doesnt have anything to do with being "so smart and grounded."

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 09:39:48 PM »

He signed a contract that is worth about 6.6 million per year....we'll go ahead and say you make a million a year (1/6 of Mathews)...take 1/6 of his car's price tag and you have your $24,000 car.

I get what you're saying, but he seems like nothing less than a class act.  If he wants to have a car, I'm not judging.  His time is worth a lot of money, and he gave time to MU and Madison youth this summer.  I'm guessing he didn't question what you did for others this summer?  I hope his next purchase is a private plane so he's back home often :D

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 09:46:30 PM »
Or the dealer gives him a personal appearance lease where he shows his face at a couple of signings and he gets an essentially free car.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:12:25 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »
I bought a 92 Toyota king cab pickup truck in 1998.  It had 40K+ miles on it.  4 cylinder, 5 speed, no ac, crappy radio.  A couple of weeks ago the right front wheel fell off (tie rod rusted through).  Only had 130K miles on it. Hope Wes has better luck with his foreign vehicle purchase.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 11:45:03 PM »

Is this a joke?

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 11:49:58 PM »

Either way he'd still be rolling in a Nazi sled, same thing with a Lambo

Wes shoulda went Italian or English

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 12:53:36 AM »
He signed a contract that is worth about 6.6 million per year....we'll go ahead and say you make a million a year (1/6 of Mathews)...take 1/6 of his car's price tag and you have your $24,000 car.

Hah, yeah, he just spent a smidgen over 2% of his annual salary on a new car.  If that was the standard we were supposed to live by, you'd need to make over $600k annually to justify buying a $14,000 car.

Tough standards on spending money around here :) 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 05:39:09 AM »
Hah, yeah, he just spent a smidgen over 2% of his annual salary on a new car.  If that was the standard we were supposed to live by, you'd need to make over $600k annually to justify buying a $14,000 car.

Tough standards on spending money around here :) 

You wonder ZBF still shouts his vespa.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 07:24:51 AM »

You wonder ZBF still shouts his vespa.

He was ghost-riding that thing up on 27th and Highland Ave this weekend.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:07 AM »
They only thing me n wesley have in common when it comes to cars is we both rolled though college with ford tauruses.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 09:14:28 AM »

Im nothing if not smart and grounded ( ;)), but if I had that money, one of the first things I'd buy would be a car, never an audi, but to each his own.  Get over yourself.  Seriously.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 09:29:53 AM »

I fell in love with the classic Ferraris and Porsches when I was a kid (e.g. the 250GT in Ferris Bueller - albeit a replica).  The cars were about style back then - they said something about the designer, the lines were meticulously drawn, they weren't mass-produced, etc. - they were works of art... image was merely a by-product.  Today, these cars - the ones you see in the US, any way - are about image first, in most cases with a wanton disregard for style (case in point: the Porsche Cayenne).

The R8 is about image.  Nice looking car, but it screams "look at me" not "appreciate me."  But then again, that's exactly what Wes' agent and publicist want.  If it was entirely Wes' choice, he might have bought something different, but my guess is that the R8 was on the advice of someone who has a vested interest in Wes' marketability & earning power.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 09:40:34 AM »
If Wesley wanted European, what was wrong with a VW Jetta TDI with leather-wrapped steering wheel and multifunction trip computer?

Fixed. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 09:40:49 AM »
Is this a joke?

I certainly hope so.  It's gotta be, right?  Right?!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
You sure about that whole ‘smart’ thing, buckchuckler?
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 09:45:11 AM »
Im nothing if not smart and grounded ( ;)), but if I had that money, one of the first things I'd buy would be a car, never an audi, but to each his own.  Get over yourself.  Seriously.

So you are “nothing if not smart and grounded,” huh, buckchuckler?

So smart that you have actually replied to my post in such a way. And so smart that you have responded to my “Jetta SEL” suggestion by telling me: “Get over yourself. Seriously.”

Tell me, buckchuckler, do you find yourself saying “I don’t get it” or “What’s so funny?“ a lot as you go through your days?

Yep, you appear to be one smart fellow.

I hope you get some money one day so you can buy a car, although not an Audi, of course.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »
The Jetta is a car for Trixies.

/pops cassette into '96 Toyota Corolla
//admires wood paneling
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.