'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dysfunctional Board  (Read 13251 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Dysfunctional Board
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 08:26:29 AM »
.. What bothers me is the same handful of posters dominating a large amount of threads, no matter the subject of the thread, with the same 2 or 3 topics...over, and over again. 

This complaint is a frequent one, as there are indeed a few posters who attract criticism for their "volume."

Can you answer this question, as I'm really curious:  If it's so bothersome to read these posters, it reduces the value and your enjoyment, why don't you click on "ignore" and free yourself of them, instead of being so bothered?   

I mean, it's convenient, simple to use, and it's FREE.

If you don't use it, because you might miss a "nugget of information," haven't you made your choice? 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »
Can somebody explain to me what the problem was with the Billingsley thread? Seriously...I didn't see that as anything other than an old recruiting story.

I thought it had a douchey, BadgerNation tone to it.

(By the way, are your wives all of a sudden ragging at you about using douche in all of its forms?)

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »
This complaint is a frequent one, as there are indeed a few posters who attract criticism for their "volume."

Can you answer this question, as I'm really curious:  If it's so bothersome to read these posters, it reduces the value and your enjoyment, why don't you click on "ignore" and free yourself of them, instead of being so bothered?   

If you don't use it, because you might miss a "nugget of information," haven't you made your choice? 

To answer your question:  I think several of the posters I am referring to do bring good comments and discussion to several threads, thus I don't block them.  However, whenever their opposite breaches a certain subject, the same old crap ensues, thus ruining an otherwise good thread.  Plus, when I block people, I end up getting curious and unblocking them, which might be worse to me.

Also, I didn't mean my original post to come off as me "being so bothered."  Was just voicing a frustration, not the end of the world.  I don't think there is much the mods could do to right the situation outside of excessive banning/locking/etc., which I know is not what the board is about.  My post was more intended for the posters who beat the same dead horse with the hope that, if enough people agree with me, said posters might think a bit and step back before dominating yet another thread with the same hyperbole.

A half joking suggestion for the mods:  Can we get a Hatfield-McCoy forum?  You guys could move all threads to this forum that devolve into the same back-and-forth we have seen over and over again.   :)
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »

- For longer threads: 1st page, last page.  90% of the middle is off topic and doesn't add anything.  You should be able to determine whether something is speculation or fact from the information on the first page of posts. 
- I don't ignore anyone, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. 
- At the first mention of TC, skip ahead 5 pages.

50 days to go.

And to the mods that run this asylum.  Thanks.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »
I will say that even our resident, self appointed,  moral compass has his place and role here...as does Marquette 84 and his longstanding Crean-mance, and lengthy replies.

In this post, Ners demonstrates EXACTLY what is wrong with this board.

Ner's can't state a case without resorting to a personal attack.

He doesn't like it that I see both the good and the bad. Because I see (and defend) the good things about Crean, and won't sandbag for Buzz, its reason to question my motives.

Ners complains about the length of posts, sometimes it takes a longer to list supporting facts and make a solid case as opposed to simply calling names.

I think the length of some threads would be shorter if people would just admit when they were wrong.

For example, take the thread on the accusation that we didn't have a full roster because of the "coaching change".  

I made a simple factual observation that his statement was wrong--that the roster was short mostly because of injuries and unrelated transfers.

Why was it so hard for the original poster to simply admit that if not for injuries to Cadougan, Mbao, and Otule, and unrelated transfers of Maymon and Roesboro, we would have had a full roster of 13 scholarship players last year? And if not for the injuries to Otule, Fulce, and James, and the arguably unrelated transfer of Mbakwe, we would have had a full roster of 13 scholarship players the year before that? 

I know this doesn't allow one to shift blame to Crean, but I think you have to be honest and admit that not every adversity can be pinned on Crean simply because you don't like the fact (or the way) that he left.

Finally, this post is about 300 words--about 1/3 the length of your typical magazine article--and written at the 11th grade level--I don't think that's too long or too complex for people to understand. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:22:01 PM by Marquette84 »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »
Finally, this post is under 300 words--about 1/3 the length of your typical magazine article, and written at the 11th grade level--I trust that is within the limits of comprehension for those on this board.

tl;dr

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 12:44:04 PM »
It seems to me that when things change and policies change, people will ask questions if for no other reason to ask why the change.  When we never used to continue recruiting kids that verballed to other programs but now do, people will ask why the change.  Or the roster having more JUCO's as a percentage than ever before (doesn't make it wrong).  Not honoring a NLI, Etc, etc. Just a few examples of many (there are others I prefer to keep off the public boards) where people are going to be interested.

MU hoops is all we have at MU...it's a school with only one high profile sport.  People are heavily invested in MU hoops in terms of time, money, emotions, etc.  And as such, they will ask questions of those leading the organization.  I see this as a GOOD THING.  It means people care.  I would be worried if we just sat back all the time and said, don't worry...everything is fine.   With time, people will be more and more comfortable but the reality is we have a young head coach (in terms of tenure), an AD who is still in the very early stages of his career, we belong to a league that everyone and their brother thinks will implode at some point (not if, but when), etc....there is reason for optimism but concern until folks prove themselves out over the long haul.  If that means folks are questioning those running the jewel that is MU hoops, well I don't find that out of line at this point in the time line.

We recruit kids who are verbally committed to other programs? Examples please. And don't include recruits who have changed their minds and re-opened their recruitment (see Vander Blue). They are free agents who have never been off limits to Marquette or anyone else.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 01:21:40 PM »
We recruit kids who are verbally committed to other programs? Examples please. And don't include recruits who have changed their minds and re-opened their recruitment (see Vander Blue). They are free agents who have never been off limits to Marquette or anyone else.

I think Bilsu's comments answered it rather succinctly.  If you want me to give you names privately, I'm happy to do so (send me a PM) ...but yes, we've continued to pursue despite verbals now.

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 06:49:13 PM »
Even when some bring up former players (such as Terrell Schulndt) recently it's only to make some form of negative comment.  This from people who couldn't carry Terrell Schulndt's jock strap on their best  the days./quote]

I am the one who started the Schlundt thread. I ran into Terrell for the first time in 10 years. We have known each other since freshman year. I knew him when he worked at the freight forwarding company at the Milwaukee airport. I lost touch and had not heard about his move to the debt collection agency. He told me about that career move when we ran into each other at an airport.

So what was negative about that thread? I related his willingness to play the 5 when clearly that was not his place. He  did it for the team. I brought up how he played on despite a severely broken nose. He played with the heart of a warrior. He was a great guy on one of the last competitive teams before we entered the Dark Ages. Please tell me what was wrong with this? 

If anything, you should explain to people here why you started this PMS fueled rage against the machine...

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 07:03:31 PM »
Oh, yeah, well MU dropped football my senior year.  How do you think that makes me feel now?  Not too good, mister, not too good.

No offense, but I am amazed that older people like to post on these types of boards. I hope I am able to still consume solid foods when I am that old.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 07:29:45 PM »
What you don't realize is that posting on this board follows a session of wild monkey sex with our old ladies.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 07:37:19 PM »
No offense, but I am amazed that older people like to post on these types of boards. I hope I am able to still consume solid foods when I am that old.
Without the input of older posters you'd have no knowledge of what its like to actually win an NCAA tournament, and you might think the 2003 run was as far as MU ever advanced. lol
Next time, you may want avoid the ironic contradiction of beginning your post with the words "no offense" and end with ...."hope I am able to still consume solid foods when I am that old."
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 08:12:32 PM »
Next time, you may want avoid the ironic contradiction of beginning your post with the words "no offense" and end with ...."hope I am able to still consume solid foods when I am that old."

Well it's true, I hope I am still able to consume solid food.

As far as I know (from watching games live) Marquette has only gone to the actual weekend games of the first weekend of the tournament... I started in the Fall of 2003. :-/

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 07:52:59 AM »
Without the input of older posters you'd have no knowledge of what its like to actually win an NCAA tournament, and you might think the 2003 run was as far as MU ever advanced. lol

"No offense..." = "I'm going to insult you, but don't get mad."

You should know that.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2010, 08:14:50 AM »
This is a bit off topic, but this is probably the most appropriate thread to say this.

I was just typing a response in another thread, and when I was almost finished, I thought to myself, "who gives a s*#t?!"  So I backed out and didn't hit post.  I do this fairly often (probably not often enough for some people's liking).  I think the board might be more pleasant if I -- and others -- did this more often.

This is not directed at anyone in particular.

I almost did the same thing with this post.  Probably should have.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2010, 10:37:18 AM »
So I backed out and didn't hit post.  I do this fairly often (probably not often enough for some people's liking). 

I end up doing that quite frequently too.  Sometimes it helps to get it out of my system even if I don't post what I was thinking :)

LON

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »
I end up doing that quite frequently too.  Sometimes it helps to get it out of my system even if I don't post what I was thinking :)

The "preview" function is a very helpful tool...

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2010, 10:56:27 AM »
I do agree with those who posted here that this is their favorite board.  There are the positivos on this board who often see Marquette, players, history, and the team in the best of light.  There are the negativos here, who often see more downside, questionable decisions, disappointing players, etc.. And then there are those in the middle.

I think all three groups are quite helpful... a sort of checks and balances for one to get the truth of the matter.  The only group I don't like are those who masquerade as Marquette fans but are nothing but haters and are really fans of other programs.  You can be as negative as you want as long as at the end of the day, in your heart of hearts, you are cheering for Marquette.

If you are truly not cheering for Marquette but pretend to be a fan... well I believe Dante reserved a special place for you.  ;D

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2010, 10:58:42 AM »
I end up doing that quite frequently too.  Sometimes it helps to get it out of my system even if I don't post what I was thinking

+1000

Many times I will type out a response and realize that the stubborness on this board is amazing and its not worth it when it comes to many topics that are just beating a dead horse.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2010, 11:13:07 AM »
What is wrong with dysfunctional?  ;D

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »

A persistent worry of mine is the lengths that our young people will have to go to keep "solid foods" on our (olds folks) tables. In your case I'll make an exception - I'm totally ok with you putting in 70-80 hours a week to keep me happy until I'm 100. I may even live an extra 5 years just to piss you off. No offense.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Lame post, from a noob
thats my 2 cents.

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 11:53:36 AM »
A persistent worry of mine is the lengths that our young people will have to go to keep "solid foods" on our (olds folks) tables. In your case I'll make an exception - I'm totally ok with you putting in 70-80 hours a week to keep me happy until I'm 100. I may even live an extra 5 years just to piss you off. No offense.

I'll stay off your lawn as well.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 12:01:17 PM »
Wow....not sure if I should read this thread or watch Dr. Phil, both provide some pretty sob stories.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2010, 12:23:18 PM »
I'll stay off your lawn as well.

Children are and have always been welcome to play on our lawn. Most people have moved past it at your age, but if playing running bases or lacrosse with 12 year olds is your thing come on by.