[Today at 05:46:50 AM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by BallBoy
[June 11, 2024, 10:23:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[June 11, 2024, 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU basketball memorablia--your best and worst  (Read 30552 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
MU basketball memorablia--your best and worst
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:26:46 AM »
I just finished a home office and the placing/display of all my MU basketball memorabalia.
BEST:
My best is of the biggest shot in MU history---a one of a kind photo of Whitehead's 1977 buzzer beater, game winning tip-in on Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell, of UNC Charlotte in the NCAA Semi's -- taken from a low enough angle to also show the scoreboard still with one second on the clock (tie score of 49/49)..and the ball away from Jerome's hand--proof of the tip in being good (most photos only have the shot--not the rafters/scoreboard, also).
My brother is an NBC TV news editor and the otherwise unpublished pic came over an old AP wire thermal fax to his station. Al McGuire signed the fax-photo for him-- and Al paused when signing it, smiling to my bro, and saying...."I guess this proves it".
It was a great B-day present. (I'd post a scan of it here--but its acid sealed/framed in a collage with the SI mag and article, and another pic (of Toone, at practice--signed by Al, also).

WORST:
My worst is an autograhed Steve Novak Rockets rookie card-- which Ebay sales indicate is worth only $2.50...and Novak didnt get to do much while with the Rockets...( ---he did win  game 17 w/buzzer beater 3 pointer,  keeping Houston's 22 game winning streak alive, though).

see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHKWJ8yCqBE.

Enjoy the video--its Novaks biggest game moment, as an NBA pro.

As I searched ebay-- I see there is tons of good memorabalia out there--

What is your best /worst MU basketball memorabalia, what stories do you have  in getting it/autographs etc.,  who has unique stuff, who is best ebay seller/source?

As it seems quiet on other thread points of off season news/debates....I'd enjoy hearing about your best/worst MU BB stuff-

-- and I am a "buyer" for special unique items-- my home office has empty space to fill!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:40:17 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

reinko

• All American
Re: MU basketball memorablia--your best and worst
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:08:36 AM »
Best: Framed Journal Sentinel of Wade the day after the Kentucky Win

Worst: Tom Crean autographed basketball I won at a National MU Day raffle 3 or 4 years ago.

Lost: Sweatshirt autographed by the Novak, Diener, and Wade :(

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:30:37 AM »
Best: Basketball autographed by Final Four team

Worst: Autographed copy of "Coaching Team Basketball" by Tom Crean .. MU hat autographed by Tom Crean (trashed) .. Tom Crean bobble head (trashed).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:20:05 AM »
Best - NBA game worn jerseys of Wes and Novak; auto'd NBA authentic rookie year jersey of Wade (auto'd at MU alum function); Al McGuire autograph; chris Crawford champion jersey

Worst? Nothing really. Maybe an unused season ticket booklet of MU women bk from 1996-97. Key word = UNUSED.

I see you have the Marquette car emblem as your avatar.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:39:40 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »
Mine's nothing so remarkable.  I have an old (circa 1980) gray t-shirt with "Marquette Warriors" scripted on the front in blue/yellow over a basketball.  In remarkably good shape.  Emblem still solid.  (I got a little too large to wear it soon after purchase - my story is it shrunk and I'm sticking to it!)  :D

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
Quote from: 77ncaachamps

I see you have the Marquette car emblem as your avatar.

[/quote

Yes-- a local PI atty, John O'Quinn (recently died in car wreck), amassed one of the best car collections in USA, and it included a pristine 1930 Marquette, so I took an emblem photo of it.

The "Marquette" auto has an interesting history, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquette_(automobile)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:37:39 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MUlegends

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 12:08:20 PM »
Best-1977 Warm-Up top, Jerel McNeal game used Warrior jersey, Al twice signed MU stationary.

Worst-anything Crean

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:02 PM »
Best: They gave me the Al McGuire big head from last year's Louisville game. That and my throwback 1977 Dwyane Wade Nike jersey, which I got as a present in my sophomore year of high school , before I even wanted to go to MU. Most of the kids at my high school had never even heard of MU, but I had kids telling me they'd pay 200 bucks for it

Worst: Tom Crean bobblehead

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
My freebie baby blue t-shirt from the game commemorating the National Championship team.  Sweet looking shirt and its really unique.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Sawsi

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »
Best -  Al McGuire autographed coach of the year picture 1973-1974.

Next Best - Mike Bargen game worn jersey.

Worst - Trend Blackledge autographed news paper clipping.

Others include 50th Birthday gift to Fr. Diulio from the 92-93 MU team.  (A signed Ball from the team and KO)  A plaque from the 1971 Basketball Mideast Regional (No Marquette markings, but when I purchased it was stated to have been from Marquette's third place finish.  KO signed ball.  Wes Matthews signed ball.  Wardle Signed floor piece.  I've gotten some good things over the years.  It paid to have my mom work in the presidents office when I was growing up.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 01:29:58 PM »
Best: autographed Dwade print from tip off dinner several years ago
Worst: is there such as thing?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »
best: some wade stuff from MU

worst: tom crean signed bball

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 01:46:47 PM »
Best: autographed Dwade print from tip off dinner several years ago
Worst: is there such as thing?

I guess you can count anything Tom Crean related that people paid for.
SS Marquette

dyckesville

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »
Best - framed final four program signed by DW, and his senior BB card from Marquette, also the original  poster in tuxes when they won the NCAA, and the media guide when my neighbor Greg Brust played on the freshman team.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 03:21:01 PM »
I got all you cats trumped. I've got a remnant of the 1977 NCAA Championship game net after it was cut down on championship Monday at the Omni in Atlanta.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 04:48:39 PM »
I got all you cats trumped. I've got a remnant of the 1977 NCAA Championship game net after it was cut down on championship Monday at the Omni in Atlanta.
And, I have a towel touting UNC as 1977 National Champs.... ;)  Ah, the irony...vendors were giving them away in Underground Atlanta that night.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 04:52:43 PM »
Best: Travis Diener autographed jersey!

Worst: That horrible "replica" 2003 FF ring/paper weight....lol

Eye

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »
I think my favorite item is a 78-79 game program signed by every member of the team. I was 7 and was 1 autograph short of getting everybody on the team (don't recall who). Coach Raymonds allowed me to come into the locker room after the final game of the Classic to get the final autograph.
GO WARRIORS!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 04:57:22 PM »
I have that infernal Tom Crean bobblehead that stares back to me at work every day all day.  He's always trying to get my DWade bobblehead to wear IU shorts.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
And, I have a towel touting UNC as 1977 National Champs.... ;)  Ah, the irony...vendors were giving them away in Underground Atlanta that night.

That's because vendors covered their bases by printing both team as the champ. You could buy Warrior victory towels immediately upon exiting the Omni.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 05:18:09 PM »
Personal note from Al McGuire when we retired the number 77....framed in my den with the artistic ticket we gave to everyone there that night.

A number of other really cool things in my office.  "THIS IS WARRIORS COUNTRY", 1977 Program, 1000th program win poster from the MECCA ( I have some extras if you guys would like one, first thing I did as an intern...if you pay for postage I'll send one to you)

I don't have anything I would put as bad MU memorabilia

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 06:19:35 PM »
Best and worst. I happened to be working at a large retailer in corporate when the infamous "marquette gold" name change happened. The buyers wanted to be the first to shelves with shirts and had  three different mock up tees made with the "marquette gold" name and logo. All have offcial ncaa license tags on them. They are the only licensed marquette "the gold" that I know exist, as the name changed back so quick the mock ups never went to production. The best was that I convinced the buyers to give me all three shirts which sit unused in a closet, tags still on.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 06:23:32 PM »
Best and worst. I happened to be working at a large retailer in corporate when the infamous "marquette gold" name change happened. The buyers wanted to be the first to shelves with shirts and had  three different mock up tees made with the "marquette gold" name and logo. All have offcial ncaa license tags on them. They are the only licensed marquette "the gold" that I know exist, as the name changed back so quick the mock ups never went to production. The best was that I convinced the buyers to give me all three shirts which sit unused in a closet, tags still on.

They make nice kindling.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
The worst: a Tom Crean autographed IU basketball (gag gift from my brother who went there).

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Best: Plastic cap that has the Warriors logo on the top of it with Marquette Basketball on the side along with BEAT ND in big print, probably from the late 80's early 90's

Worst: Terri Mitchell bobblehead

feedback