collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by brewcity77
[Today at 04:47:43 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUDPT
[Today at 11:36:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Ranked #75 in latest US News & World Report's Rankings  (Read 15291 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Marquette Ranked #75 in latest US News & World Report's Rankings
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:48 AM »
Was just looking at this too.

#84 last year?  That's what Marquette says

other notables

ND #19
GU #21
BC #31
UW@Madison #45
Cuse #55
Rutgers #64
Pitt #64
UConn #69
I4 #75
SLU #86
Dayton #99
Loyola #117
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:47:41 AM »
DePaul #136

Ouch. 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »
Also ranked #49 in Best Value, based off percentage of students receiving need-based aid and average total discount.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-best-values

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Out performing some Big Ten schools now
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:28:53 AM »
I remember a lot of our friends to the west, Myles, Butch, etc. saying we weren't ranked ahead of any Big Ten schools.

Oops, not any more....not bad for a little old Catholic school

Ahead of Michigan State
Tied with Indiana

One spot below Iowa

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »
29 spots ahead of Nebraska.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »
My kids grade school has more academic credibility than Nebraska.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 10:19:56 AM »
But B10 schools have top-notch research...  ::)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:30:47 AM »

How are the girls there, though?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:48:37 AM »

Reminds me of my favorite Nebraska football joke:

"What's the 'N' on the helmet stand for?"
"Noledge."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:14:13 AM »

No, and not funny. As much as I like to see Marquette get this high, I am equally annoyed when people take this one ranking and decide to make an entire judgment of a school's academics.  Being a top 150 school in the United States is still pretty damn good, and no country even compares to the level of secondary education enjoyed here. So back off insulting another school's academics, which probably don't know much about anyways besides this ranking, simply because they are in the 100s of one subjective ranking.

It wasnt too long ago when Marquette was in the 90s and close to the 100s, if not over it. These are not scientific or objective in any way....remember the Forbes ranking?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:16:06 AM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 11:38:45 AM »
No, and not funny. As much as I like to see Marquette get this high, I am equally annoyed when people take this one ranking and decide to make an entire judgment of a school's academics.  Being a top 150 school in the United States is still pretty damn good, and no country even compares to the level of secondary education enjoyed here. So back off insulting another school's academics, which probably don't know much about anyways besides this ranking, simply because they are in the 100s of one subjective ranking.

It wasnt too long ago when Marquette was in the 90s and close to the 100s, if not over it. These are not scientific or objective in any way....remember the Forbes ranking?
To an extent I agree with you, but you should also just lighten up, it's a joke and I think everyone here actually can recognize it as such.  Are these rankings perfect and the end all be all of educational levels found at different institutions accross our country?  No.  Can they be used to crack a few jokes and to take pride in our degrees?  Sure.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
Why aren't the Big Ten schools ranked 2-11, errrr 2-12, I mean 2-13 right in line behind Harvard?  There must be huge bias against the Midwest!!!

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 02:34:19 PM »
Why aren't the Big Ten schools ranked 2-11, errrr 2-12, I mean 2-13 right in line behind Harvard?  There must be huge bias against the Midwest!!!

It's Nebraska's fault. You know how those dust-bowlers are, bringing down the fine academic standards of God's favorite conference.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 05:33:32 PM »
But B10 schools have top-notch research...  ::)

Why does this get an eye roll.... its completely true. As much as I love Marquette, as a research institute it doesn't even come close to ANY of the Big 10 schools, including Nebraska.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 06:08:31 PM »
Why does this get an eye roll.... its completely true. As much as I love Marquette, as a research institute it doesn't even come close to ANY of the Big 10 schools, including Nebraska.

Except Nebraska, Mich State, Indiana, and Iowa, all of which it is ranked ahead, tied, or right behind. These are "research institutions" rankings. That's what they base it on. So yes, we do come close. MU has some very cutting edge research in biomedical sciences, dentistry, engineering, among other things, I'm sure.

I remember my freshman year (graduated in 08) we were in the 100s (between 100-110, I recall), and then we were 90s, 80s, and I think 75 is the highest I remember. We keep inching up.

Conversely, I also remember that my freshman year UW was in the low 30s. Not a ton of movement down for them, but if you look at the gap between us, it was about 80 spots, and now it is 30.

One other thing...we have consistently been the #5 catholic school behind ND, Georgetown, Fordham and BC (the Catholic ivies) for several years now. This is huge. SLU was always ahead of us, and we are now the #2 Catholic university in the midwest, which is important from a regional perspective.

All in all, very positive news, and I hope the university does a good job of putting it out there.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:15:19 PM by Victor McCormick »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »
Marquette is a middle of the road university that serves a niche. Nothing more, nothing less.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 09:50:42 PM »
Except Nebraska, Mich State, Indiana, and Iowa, all of which it is ranked ahead, tied, or right behind. These are "research institutions" rankings. That's what they base it on. So yes, we do come close. MU has some very cutting edge research in biomedical sciences, dentistry, engineering, among other things, I'm sure.

I remember my freshman year (graduated in 08) we were in the 100s (between 100-110, I recall), and then we were 90s, 80s, and I think 75 is the highest I remember. We keep inching up.

Conversely, I also remember that my freshman year UW was in the low 30s. Not a ton of movement down for them, but if you look at the gap between us, it was about 80 spots, and now it is 30.

One other thing...we have consistently been the #5 catholic school behind ND, Georgetown, Fordham and BC (the Catholic ivies) for several years now. This is huge. SLU was always ahead of us, and we are now the #2 Catholic university in the midwest, which is important from a regional perspective.

All in all, very positive news, and I hope the university does a good job of putting it out there.

This is nice and all, and we can give ourselves a nice pat on the back, but I really don't know if this means MU is a better institution than it was when you got there.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 10:10:45 PM »
Marquette is a middle of the road university that serves a niche. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think you need to get out more often.  There are 1000's of colleges and universities in this country.  We are not middle of the road.  We may not be elite, we certainly fill a niche, but middle of the road we are not.

There are a crapload of average to below average institutions of higher learning littering the USA.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 11:03:01 PM »
If Buzz would quit recruiting jucos MU would be top 10.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 02:01:11 AM »

No it really isn't. I know plenty of middle of the road universities.

I'm not saying Marquette's akin to Nothwestern or anything, but if you think Marquette is "middle of the road" then you need to see more universities in this country. Marquette is at least "top tiered" when it comes to comparisons to even other private schools.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 06:59:54 AM »
If Buzz would quit recruiting jucos MU would be top 10.

+100!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 08:39:24 AM »
Gotta disagree. I've seen plenty of colleges around the country as well as well as personal experience with the college search process with my own kids and others. As a double MU grad, who loves his alma mater, Marquette is middle of the road, particularly when comparing private schools. Nothing wrong with that by any means and no one should take it personally or be offended.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 09:16:55 AM »
Gotta disagree. I've seen plenty of colleges around the country as well as well as personal experience with the college search process with my own kids and others. As a double MU grad, who loves his alma mater, Marquette is middle of the road, particularly when comparing private schools. Nothing wrong with that by any means and no one should take it personally or be offended.

Endowment is important. The top private institutions (ex-Ivy League) all have much larger endowments. Here is a list of private universities all ranked higher than MU. Not surprisingly, they all have more money. This sint a complete list but its close.

Rice - 3.6 B
Vandy - 2.8 B
Emory - 4.6 B
GTown - 900 M
Carnegie Mellon - 750 M
Tufts - 1.1 B
NYU - 2.2 B
Yeshiva - 890 M
Tulane - 815 M
Pepperdine - 530 M
Cuse - 620 M
BU - 920 M
SMU - 1 B
MU - 285 M

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 09:21:34 AM »
Exactly, Triple G is correct. Without the bread, you're stuck in neutral at best and MU's endowment is pitifully low.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"