[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UWM Chancellor Carlos Santiago  (Read 4333 times)

Blackhat

• All American
UWM Chancellor Carlos Santiago
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:04:25 PM »
doesn't honor his commitment to the university and resigns.  Effective Oct. 1st.

http://dev.www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/100792189.html?page=1

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: UWM Chancellor Carlos Santiago
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:12:55 PM »
Did he have a buyout like Crean?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »
Was he gainfully employed by the university for more than 6 years?  He sure did break that commitment...if only he was hired but then not hired before July 15, 2004....that would have shown him.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:35:52 PM »
Looks like it's for some lobby group in DC? Not exactly a promotion.

Err ... I'll continue the Crean thing with wondering whether Crean actually got a promotion considering his new salary averaged to about what he was getting at MU his last year (2.2M or so).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
Looks like it's for some lobby group in DC? Not exactly a promotion.

Err ... I'll continue the Crean thing with wondering whether Crean actually got a promotion considering his new salary averaged to about what he was getting at MU his last year (2.2M or so).

That's inaccurate.  Crean makes more at IU than at MU, in both real and relative dollars.  More money at IU, plus it's cheaper to live there than in Milwaukee (cost of living, taxes, etc).

Whether Mr. Santiago got a promotion is up for debate, it could be that he wanted out of Milwaukee. He was a finalist for head post at Drexel University earlier this year and last year also was said to be considering several opportunities.  Jobs were coming to him, that means he was doing something right.

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »
Some sources? I'm pretty sure his offer was darn near what his last year at MU was, averaged out over the course of his contract.

I don't dispute that a dump of a state like Indiana is cheaper, though.

(And by asking for sources, I completely admit that I am too lazy to look up the #'s myself.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 06:14:38 PM by warrior07 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 06:25:06 PM »
Some sources? I'm pretty sure his offer was darn near what his last year at MU was, averaged out over the course of his contract.

It has more to do with Bloomington being cheaper than Milwaukee.  Whether it's a dump of a state, well that's in the eye of the beholder.  Some people don't like more gov't involvement, higher taxes, etc.  Some folks like lower taxes, less gov't, etc and Indiana would get the nod over Wisconsin if that's what someone likes.  Different strokes for different folks.  

Crean will earn $2.72 million at the end of his contract.   He will average $2.36M per year from IU over the 10 years.  This is before any bonuses (up to an additional $560K per year), any endorsements, insurance policies, expense $$, etc, etc.

At MU, he earned $2.298M his last year at the school....includes bonuses but does not include insurance, expense money, etc.

So he's getting a bit to a lot more (depends on the endorsements which he can get state wide endorsements that he could never get in Wisconsin and bonuses he could achieve), lower cost of living, and of course he's now part of the lucrative Indiana pension system.

Plenty of articles on it at the JS, the HeraldTimes, NCAA.org, etc.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:26:25 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
A difference of $62,000 a year? Sounds like I was right. His salary will average almost the same at Indiana as it did his last year at Marquette, which is what I had in mind.

Yes, I am sure his endorsements will be higher in Indiana. And the bonuses too, if he can just get to a .500 season at I4.

My point in pointing this out isn't a criticism of Crean. I don't blame him for making what he makes. I do blame Marquette and Wild for whoring itself out to a tune of a top 5 NCAA basketball salary (at the time) for 1 NCAA win outside of the FF year. Reeked of desperation.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 07:32:26 PM »
A difference of $62,000 a year? Sounds like I was right. His salary will average almost the same at Indiana as it did his last year at Marquette, which is what I had in mind.

Yes, I am sure his endorsements will be higher in Indiana. And the bonuses too, if he can just get to a .500 season at I4.

My point in pointing this out isn't a criticism of Crean. I don't blame him for making what he makes. I do blame Marquette and Wild for whoring itself out to a tune of a top 5 NCAA basketball salary (at the time) for 1 NCAA win outside of the FF year. Reeked of desperation.

Well, we'll disagree.  $62K is a raise, but that's also on the lowest end of the spectrum and not counting the endorsements and the bonuses.  He's likely to earn between $200K and $750K more per year when you factor it all in.  That's a significant raise.  He goes to a conference that isn't rumored to be breaking up and he's starting to get the recruits he wanted (two top kids in the last week) from the state of Indiana.

I think the reason MU paid that amount is because MU basketball coaches leave MU like it has the plague.  He's the only coach to go past 5 years since Raymonds, and that had to be paid for to do it.  Let's also not forget that in addition to that 1 NCAA tourney win were back to back to back record revenue years for basketball due to record attendance, the Big East money, etc.    MU had to stop the stepping stone perception.  Desperate or not, it kept him at MU, allowed MU to be in a much better place now than it has been in decades.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 08:41:17 PM »
According to their 990, their previous CEO made about $220,000.  Santiago was making over $300,000.  However, no one is really surprised that he is leaving.  His wife did not like Milwaukee.  There is reportedly a lot of frustration in the System leadership in Madison, and he is just the latest in a number of chancellors that have left to go other schools.  More than half of the UW schools have replaced their chancellors in the past three years or so.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
thread hi-jack
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 08:40:09 AM »

(And by asking for sources, I completely admit that I am too lazy to look up the #'s myself.)

And what makes you think Indiana is a dump of a state?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 08:53:55 AM »
Crean's a resident.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 09:10:17 AM »
Crean's a resident.

Game, Set and Match.

Nothing to see here, drive home safely folks.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 09:24:35 AM »

Whether Mr. Santiago...  it could be that he wanted out of Milwaukee.

My memory is foggy, but there's been at least 3 positions that he's been connected to over the past 2 years -- that we know about. 

He wanted out.

Channel 4 .. had a laughable bit on TV yesterday, that "he wasn't looking for a job, they called him."  Yeah, that might have been true, but when your resume is on Monster.com, saying "PLEASE SOMEONE HIRE ME THE F OUT OF MILWAUKEE" .. it means you're sitting around watching the phone.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 07:34:49 AM »
I think the reason MU paid that amount is because MU basketball coaches leave MU like it has the plague.  He's the only coach to go past 5 years since Raymonds, and that had to be paid for to do it.  Let's also not forget that in addition to that 1 NCAA tourney win were back to back to back record revenue years for basketball due to record attendance, the Big East money, etc.    MU had to stop the stepping stone perception.  Desperate or not, it kept him at MU, allowed MU to be in a much better place now than it has been in decades.

These are pretty good points. I am not sure I like what it says about us, though, if we have to pay out the wazoo for that kind of performance (as opposed to, say, the guys who won NCAA championships but earned 1.5MM-2MM) just to keep someone on campus. Hopefully you are correct and it has bought us out of the stepping stone status.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 07:56:06 AM »
warrior07..what would you prefer, that they sit on the money instead?

I have no problem that they overpaid for a coach they thought was good and tried to keep around.  It shows that basketball is important to the University.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 10:19:43 AM »
Huh? Are they sitting on the money right now that is the difference between Buzz's salary and Crean's salary? Since they demonstrated that they have it, they must be "sitting on it" right now.

They should give it to Buzz if they think he is good and want to try to keep around!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 10:24:30 AM »
Huh? Are they sitting on the money right now that is the difference between Buzz's salary and Crean's salary? Since they demonstrated that they have it, they must be "sitting on it" right now.

They should give it to Buzz if they think he is good and want to try to keep around!

I agree actually.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 11:22:49 AM »
Crean's a resident.

You guys have Jim Doyle, so it's a wash.