[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crossfit  (Read 2166 times)

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
Crossfit
« on: August 12, 2010, 10:17:14 AM »
After a minor shoulder injury (shoulder subluxation) I'm thinking of trying crossfit to get back into shape after a year of complete inactivity and delicious Wisconsin food that has caused me to be on close to thirty pounds.  Has anyone tried it or has any feedback from friends/relatives that have tried it?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Crossfit
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »
I know two friends who do it religiously everyday.

It's pretty much summed up as: do as many reps as you can in a short amount of time.

They complained about the soreness early on, but they REALLY do look slimmer and stronger.
SS Marquette

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:04:56 PM »
Most people I know who have done it lose weight and gain muscle.  Every single one, however, also got injured because it pushed them too hard, and they had to stop going.  given the fact you are coming off a shoulder injury, i would almost guarantee you will re-injure it doing crossfit.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:11:21 PM »
I used Crossfit to get into shape for the Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT) to get onto a fire department. It will absolutely kill you at first, but if you stick with it, there is no doubt in my mind that it will make you stronger, fitter, and faster. I went regularly in two different stints for about 6 months each and didn't experience any injuries, nor did any of the regulars I worked out with.

It's the most complete body workout I've found and while it may not result in the perfectly cut look you get from P90X, one of the mantras we had was "it's better to be strong than look strong". I still remember an amateur MMA fighter from Iowa coming in to work out with us. The guy looked like a beast, every muscle chiseled, 8-pack abs...despite me not having half the body he did, he simply couldn't keep up with our workouts. I would recommend Crossfit most highly, and if you're in the Milwaukee area, check out the gym on Vienna and Fratney. The guy who runs it, Ryan, is a top notch instructor and if you give it one month of 3 classes a week, I guarantee you will notice a difference.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

susie90

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »
I tried it too, but honestly I get more out of different classes they offer at my gym (great selection/variety).  I found crossfit to be expensive as well, about $20 a session.  Remember, working out is just icing on the cake.  Nutrition is by far your best bet to a healthy body.  Also interval training is fantastic, quick, and free.