Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What just happened?  (Read 12729 times)

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
What just happened?
« on: June 30, 2010, 12:09:43 AM »
Something doesn't smell right. There has to be more to this story than what has been reported. I highly doubt this whole business of Buzz dumping Newbill for Wilson happened as currently being reported.

First, the only "statement" I have seen to this point is from Philly Coach. If things went down according to his post, it goes against everything Buzz has said about how he treats people. So either Buzz is a big phony or there is a lot more to the story.

Second, Buzz' prior comments about one or more committed players going prep, rumors about a player transferring in, everyone supposedly being aware of their roll in the process, etc. lead to the conclusion that this was a planned occurrence.

Third, there were a lot of strange twists and turns in the Wilson recruitment last year. I don't think Buzz would simply through a player under the bus to take on another potential JMay situation.

There has just got to be more to the story.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:51:30 AM by Ruby »

GOO

• All American
Re: What just happened?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:19:13 AM »
There you go again, using some logic and rational.   Just go with raw emotion and don't wait for all of the facts.    :)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »
Perhaps....we'll find out soon enough.  What troubles me, however, is if Newbill was going to Prep School, why wasn't that mentioned by any of Buzz's comments after the LOI was signed.  Seems an awfully big nugget to not include. 

I'm sure more will come out in the coming days.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:33:54 AM »
I just point back to Roseboro. He was told he wasn't MU material and look what he did at St. Bonaventure with those charges and injuries and numbers. Maybe Buzz just did what was best for the team and saw a character flaw or just realized an error that should never have been made

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 12:38:26 AM »
I just point back to Roseboro. He was told he wasn't MU material and look what he did at St. Bonaventure with those charges and injuries and numbers. Maybe Buzz just did what was best for the team and saw a character flaw or just realized an error that should never have been made

Very possible, but then Buzz needs to get more involved in recruiting then.  If the accounts here are accurate, this is the second Pennsylvania player in the last two years that we signed apparently on the assistant coaches of MU's evaluations that Buzz later didn't like and buzz cut (if it's true) before enrolling in the Fall Semester. 

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:55:26 AM »
It's obvious what happened here. A poster who has been totally and 100% confirmed as not only DJ Newbill's high school coach, but also his most trusted confidant since childhood, has decided to indulge the rest of the nation in the knowledge that Newbill has been unceremoniously excused from the program through the ever-infallible online internet forum method rather than taking the news to a newspaper, radio station, television, magazine, The Warrior or O'Donnell Hall communal bathroom wall.

What part don't you understand? Why must you be so quick to judge?

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 01:01:45 AM »
It's obvious what happened here. A poster who has been totally and 100% confirmed as not only DJ Newbill's high school coach, but also his most trusted confidant since childhood, has decided to indulge the rest of the nation in the knowledge that Newbill has been unceremoniously excused from the program through the ever-infallible online internet forum method rather than taking the news to a newspaper, radio station, television, magazine, The Warrior or O'Donnell Hall communal bathroom wall.

Interesting post. Other than being right about the internet becoming the king of news media, I have no idea what you just tried to say.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 01:03:36 AM »
Interesting post. Other than being right about the internet becoming the king of news media, I have no idea what you just tried to say.

pretty sure that was "teal" without actually being teal...

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 01:23:03 AM »

I refuse to use teal. It ruins the point of sarcasm

haymaker

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 01:27:19 AM »

It's Newbill's coach.  Check his email address, and then compare that to the myspace page found by entering said email address into a google search.  Check out the myspace page:  it's Newbill's coach.

And he's absolutely correct on what happened here.  Wilson becoming available meant it was suddenly a "big deal" that Newbill hadn't sent in his application.  Whoever said they would have completed everything but the signature for Blue was 100% correct.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 01:49:06 AM »

Agreed. There is an art to being sarcastic, and using teal completely ruins it. It makes you read a post with a silly tone, meaning the sarcasm and counter-intuitive nature of the comment don't have the intended effect.

Teal is lame.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
I find it funny that all of a sudden there are like 4 or 5 new names backing "phillicocoach." Pretty convenient time to make a new account and say all this stuff.

I could look a coach's name up and make a username under that email address as well. If you really want me to, I'll find Tim Maymon's email and make a name "Madisondad" and come on here claiming I'm not 100% crazy and living through my son.

Something is very fishy/there are some big time phonies pulling through on here right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 07:04:12 AM »
Agreed. There is an art to being sarcastic, and using teal completely ruins it. It makes you read a post with a silly tone, meaning the sarcasm and counter-intuitive nature of the comment don't have the intended effect.

Teal is lame.

Amen, brother, amen.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 07:07:51 AM »
I doubt if we will be getting recruits out of the Philly/penn. area any time soon, ala Newbill and Roseboro!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »
I doubt we'll ever know the full story here.  At least there's not going to be anything from MU other than saying "Marquette and DJ Newbill have decided to part ways.  We wish DJ nothing but the best in the future." 

He was qualified*.  He was working his ass off (IIRC there was a video of his gym workout floating around).  He seemed like a good kid. 

Why his application wasn't completed, and why he wasn't signed up for the IWB Pro-Am are questions we'll never really know the answers to. 

The speculation is that it was to make room for Wilson.  But we'll never really know the answer.

* http://www.philly.com/dailynews/breaking/sports/20100201_Strawberry_Mansion_star_picks_Marquette.html
"Newbill, an honor-roll student who already has qualified for freshman eligibility..."
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 08:23:08 AM »
I find it funny that all of a sudden there are like 4 or 5 new names backing "phillicocoach." Pretty convenient time to make a new account and say all this stuff.

I could look a coach's name up and make a username under that email address as well. If you really want me to, I'll find Tim Maymon's email and make a name "Madisondad" and come on here claiming I'm not 100% crazy and living through my son.

Something is very fishy/there are some big time phonies pulling through on here right now.

That was exactly what I was thinking was going on. Guy could just be doing that right now to keep us convinced

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 08:24:36 AM »
So for those that think Buzz is in the right. What possible scenario could explain this? I don't want to rush to judgments but it seems obvious that Buzz saw an upgrade and took it.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 08:25:13 AM »
If he was fully qualified, and wanted to come (was never told he would have to go prep to work on his game) , then that is disappointing.  MU's staff should have been all over him to get his app in.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 08:26:07 AM »
If he was fully qualified, and wanted to come (was never told he would have to go prep to work on his game) , then that is disappointing.  MU's staff should have been all over him to get his app in.

What if they were?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 08:26:33 AM »

Love it, if it makes you feel better it was pretty obvious.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 08:29:02 AM »
So for those that think Buzz is in the right. What possible scenario could explain this?

What if the first sentence out of whatever coach was calling Newbill every week for the last 3 months since he signed his LOI was "Hey, where's your application?"
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 08:30:26 AM »

Same here. I have been railing against the use of teal, since the use of teal began. If you can't effectively deliver or pick up sarcasm, you deserve whatever embarrassment you may suffer.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 08:31:31 AM »
So for those that think Buzz is in the right. What possible scenario could explain this? I don't want to rush to judgments but it seems obvious that Buzz saw an upgrade and took it.

If you don't want to rush to judgements, why are you?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 08:32:23 AM »
What if DJ got a better offer...?  Maybe he was waiting to hear from someone himself!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »
What if the first sentence out of whatever coach was calling Newbill every week for the last 3 months since he signed his LOI was "Hey, where's your application?"

Even then I'm not sure that is grounds for release. It would make it better but still probably just an excuse. Is there a deadline on this app? I'm sure he would have got it in by the deadline. He's going to be a freshmen in college, of course he is waiting for the last minute.

feedback