Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Doc's Kid  (Read 4823 times)

MHMUFAN

• Walk-On
Doc's Kid
« on: June 28, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »
Doc River's son is a highly touted player going into his senior year, is there any intrest on either side between him and Marquette? Or has he already got a short list of schools?

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Re: Doc's Kid
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
Doc River's son is a highly touted player going into his senior year, is there any intrest on either side between him and Marquette? Or has he already got a short list of schools?

I think he is not in the picture at all
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »
Don't think we can find a spot for him. He's not a big.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »

Duke or UNC most likely

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »
I think he is not in the picture at all

I'd say probably not in the picture.

Read on Zagsblog that Vander was trying to talk him into coming to MU (I think they are both on the US18 team)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »
I'd say probably not in the picture.

Read on Zagsblog that Vander was trying to talk him into coming to MU (I think they are both on the US18 team)
  Good point to note here is the secondary value that goes along with signing top talent - is its access to other top talent, and the ability of recruits such as Vander to sell others on MU.  Goes on all over college hoops, and the NBA with free agency.  Pretty sure that Wes and JMay got Vander to MU, just through their endorsements of Buzz and the school.  Hopefully Reggie Smith has a good experience and gets involved in selling future Mac Irvin players, DJ Newbill other Philadelphia talent, etc...

That said, from all I've heard - Rivers has no interest in MU.  Nonetheless, gotta appreciate Vander Blue selling the school/coach.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »
My friend was at a tournament about two months ago to see Rivers play and happened to sit two rows behind his mom. People around her asked her what her son's preference was and she said Duke. Granted, that was two months ago. however, he seems like a perfect fit for coach k.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:10:22 PM »
I have heard that he is a Duke lean, with UNC in 2nd followed by Florida (who he de-verbaled from recently).

I also heard he doesn't want to play in his father's shadow at MU, although I don't think top-3 nationally recruits  from Florida necessarily need a reason to not be coming to Marquette. I know he has some connections to MU, but there is no reason to believe we are even in the picture. He would probably be the most impressive recruit MU ever signed, though, if there were a miracle.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:25:36 PM »
This is the article to which Hards was referring to.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/06/17/rivers-talks-usa-hoops-celtics-recruiting/#more-35458

UNC, Duke, and Florida are his Final 3, and had this to say:

Rivers is surrounded by other players who have committed and they’re all trying to work their magic on him.

“Kyrie (Irving])s trying to get me to go Duke,” Rivers said. “Vander (Blue) is trying to get me to go to Marquette. Patric [Young] is trying to get me to go down to Florida.

“Everybody had their own little thing.”

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 07:30:47 PM »
As I recall in the hiring process after Crean left - Doc was a big Buzz fan, and said you have to get someone who can recruit..and Buzz can.  Just wish Doc and Mom would nudge Austin toward MU - and that Buzz could at least get him on campus for a weekend visit for some one on one recruiting.  That said, it is also understandable why a kid would want to go elsewhere other than where his father played - see Wesley Matthews.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
I have heard that he is a Duke lean, with UNC in 2nd followed by Florida (who he de-verbaled from recently).

I also heard he doesn't want to play in his father's shadow at MU, although I don't think top-3 nationally recruits  from Florida necessarily need a reason to not be coming to Marquette. I know he has some connections to MU, but there is no reason to believe we are even in the picture. He would probably be the most impressive recruit MU ever signed, though, if there were a miracle.

Bernard Toone was ranked second nationally when Al signed him, I believe.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 12:26:36 AM »

I did not know that, I guess that was a bit before my time. Impressive for Al. I knew he was an amazing recruiter with lots of highly ranked players, but I didn't know he recruited at that level.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 09:34:21 AM »
As I recall in the hiring process after Crean left - Doc was a big Buzz fan, and said you have to get someone who can recruit..and Buzz can.  Just wish Doc and Mom would nudge Austin toward MU - and that Buzz could at least get him on campus for a weekend visit for some one on one recruiting.  That said, it is also understandable why a kid would want to go elsewhere other than where his father played - see Wesley Matthews.

Exactly....especially after mom and dad nudged their other son to the evil one.   :D

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 10:03:35 AM »
Exactly....especially after mom and dad nudged their other son to the evil one.   :D

Good point - though I wonder if Doc and Mom realize their mistake now - given Jeremiah's poor experience thus far at IU? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 11:29:27 AM »
Good point - though I wonder if Doc and Mom realize their mistake now - given Jeremiah's poor experience thus far at IU? 

Not based on Doc's comments and attendance at games.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 12:27:23 PM »
Not based on Doc's comments and attendance at games.
Actually, as I recall Jeremiah was making several statements toward the end of the season verbalizing his frustration with how things were going at IU.  Didn't sound like it was a good fit at all, at least from his perspective.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 12:34:56 PM »
What famous Marquette BB player father got his son to come to Marquette to play BB?  If none, guess I wouldn't be holding my breath in regards to the Rivers.

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 03:10:04 PM »
I wish Buzz could pull some strings with Doc but it doesn't look like that will happen

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 03:26:08 PM »
Actually, as I recall Jeremiah was making several statements toward the end of the season verbalizing his frustration with how things were going at IU.  Didn't sound like it was a good fit at all, at least from his perspective.

He had a couple televised moments of flat out dismissing his head coach during games.

Transferring to Indiana was a horrible mistake by Rivers and, despite Chicos suggestion otherwise, I suspect Doc Rivers was there to support his son who had an nightmare experience last season. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 05:04:15 PM »
There was a rumor that after a game Jeremiah was asked by someone if he was going to try to get Austin to come to IU and Jeremiah gave an "are you kidding me? No Way." type of response, not word for word but that was the gist of it. The fans are pretty down on Jeremiah and has said before it seems Jeremiah isn't completely happy.

As for Austin, I think the title of this thread shows why he wouldn't want to come here. To us he will be Doc's kid, not Austin Rivers the top recruit. Not saying we wouldn't value Austin as a recruit and much more than Doc's son, it just will always be hanging over him.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 06:13:05 PM »
There was a rumor that after a game Jeremiah was asked by someone if he was going to try to get Austin to come to IU and Jeremiah gave an "are you kidding me? No Way." type of response, not word for word but that was the gist of it. The fans are pretty down on Jeremiah and has said before it seems Jeremiah isn't completely happy.

As for Austin, I think the title of this thread shows why he wouldn't want to come here. To us he will be Doc's kid, not Austin Rivers the top recruit. Not saying we wouldn't value Austin as a recruit and much more than Doc's son, it just will always be hanging over him.

Most people know Doc Rivers as a championship-winning coach in the NBA, not former Marquette great.  Austin will be "Doc's kid" wherever he ends up.  I think that can be said about Jeremiah too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »
Jeremiah hasn't exactly played that well and he admits it.  He needs to to have a productive off season and be a better player next year.  If that happens, he'll be a happier person.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »
What famous Marquette BB player father got his son to come to Marquette to play BB?  If none, guess I wouldn't be holding my breath in regards to the Rivers.
  Close...how about Al McGuire?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »

Always grateful for a Bernard Toone reference!

feedback