[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting photo from Buzz's BBQ...  (Read 16634 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Interesting photo from Buzz's BBQ...
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:45:01 PM »
Attached is an interesting photo from Buzz's BBQ.

As for the event, it was very fun.  Buzz had a nice tribute to Mike Parker.  Many current and former players in attendance.

The players that were there:
Jimmy
Dwight
Eric
Junior
Joe
Darius
Jamail

Former players I saw:
Mo Acker
Joe Chapman
Terry Sanders
Scott Merritt
Terry Rand
Lazar (I didn't see, but Buzz said he was coming from Boston after a workout with the Celtics today)

Players I did not see:
Chris Otule was in class
Frozena couldn't make it.
Vander - he's probably in San Antonio (I heard Buzz talking about him)
Crowder
Newbill
Smith
Gardner
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:48:55 PM by 94Warrior »

jfmu

• Starter
Re: Interesting photo from Buzz's BBQ...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:48:46 PM »
is that tokoto???

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:49:13 PM »
Yep! 

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:12 PM »
Yes, that is Tokoto, and it's great to see that he was on campus!

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
Great to see JP is on campus. For my money, every minute he spends around Buzz pushes him closer to signing with us (no matter what our chances are). Hopefully they will build a relationship. This extra face time is something that Bill Self and Roy Williams can't compete with.

Although, since JP slipped to #23 in the recent 2012 ESPN Super 60, do we even want him anymore??

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 05:16:51 AM »
Great to see JP is on campus. For my money, every minute he spends around Buzz pushes him closer to signing with us (no matter what our chances are). Hopefully they will build a relationship. This extra face time is something that Bill Self and Roy Williams can't compete with.

Although, since JP slipped to #23 in the recent 2012 ESPN Super 60, do we even want him anymore??
teal?

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 06:24:01 AM »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 07:56:47 AM »
Do you really need teal?
No, what I really would like, though, is disrepectful posts that can turn recruits off to be made in private, sarcastic or not.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 08:24:39 AM »
Still not buying that it is a given that Tokoto will go to UNC or Duke, as some have suggested here.

Buzz is doing absolutely the right thing by keeping up the contact with this guy. As long as some have the attitude that a top 25 kid in our backyard will not go to MU, there will continue to be low expectations.

We need to land somebody in our backyard like Tokoto to silence those that give up too easy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 08:28:48 AM »
Still not buying that it is a given that Tokoto will go to UNC or Duke, as some have suggested here.

Buzz is doing absolutely the right thing by keeping up the contact with this guy. As long as some have the attitude that a top 25 kid in our backyard will not go to MU, there will continue to be low expectations.

We need to land somebody in our backyard like Tokoto to silence those that give up too easy.

I agree.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:39:43 AM »

Entirely agree. If we can't land the guys in our backyard or even a couple solid Chicago area recruits that doesn't bode well. That way if Buzz continues his great recruiting and it begins to cover the area, recruits will immediately list MU.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 08:40:51 AM »

Good post. Getting Vander proved Buzz can seal the in-state recruit. As much as Tokoto has been linked with the big boys, he'd have a chance to shine here, and when Lazar gets drafted tonight, it'll give us a pretty solid foundation of sending players to the NBA. No reason JP can't follow in that line from Marquette.

Let's not forget JP also spent Selection Sunday with the Marquette team. I really think that while we might not be the only team on his list, we're probably in the top 3-4 schools courting him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 08:45:03 AM »
Do you really need teal?

Since he asked the question, I think the answer is "yes."  I've seen much more idiodic thoughts posted here before that were completely serious.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 08:55:04 AM »

Good post until the inclusion of the sarcastic comment about JP slipping to #23 - of course 95 out of 100 people would know you are kidding (and hopefully in those 95 - all of JP's inner circle..if they read these boards).  It is hard not to be moved/impressed through interaction with Buzz.  Between this type of visit by JP, as well as being at Selection Sunday - he's getting a great feel for the culture of the program.  My guess is that we end up in his final 3 with UNC and Duke/UW.  I wouldn't bet against Buzz - he's too good of coach/leader and mentor to young men to discount.  Truth be told - and I don't say this as a homer...I've always felt Roy Williams comes off a little fake..or too aww shucksey...plus..he didn't exactly guide last year's ultra talented UNC team to a good year..(but he does have the UNC brand and a National Championship to point to!)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »
Roy and Coach K can let their reputations, records and programs speak for themselves. Simply put, they both offer JP the opportunity to join the most respected programs in all of basketball. I like that they're both in the mix. If only one was chasing him, it'd be a pretty easy choice vs the rest of the field? With both of them offering shades of the same experience, there's a chance of the decision getting tougher.

I would suspect that the beauty of Buzz's pitch is that he can position Marquette as a challenger brand. The elite schools are the easy choice. They're the safe pick. It gives Buzz a chance to listen, learn and define Marquette as a different kind of choice. Marquette is the one that deals more in making men than making basketball players.

I don't know if Buzz will be able to persuade him that Marquette offers something more. But his style - Buzz consistently connects with people by changing the frame of reference - gives him a chance.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 09:47:57 AM »
If Buzz gets another top 25 recruiting class in 2011, Tokoto would have the chance to come in and do something very, very special at Marquette.  The chance to really make some noise in his home town has to be appealing.  Plus, one advantage of going to UNC is getting worked in practice, and Marquette definitely already has wings that will push him to be a better player in practice. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 09:48:37 AM »

I don't know if Buzz will be able to persuade him that Marquette offers something more. But his style - Buzz consistently connects with people by changing the frame of reference - gives him a chance.

+1 - well said
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »

I think we are right in there for him. If was was uninterested, not likely he keeps showing up at events. I think Buzz is doing a great job with JP and his family.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 10:39:32 AM »
It's not just Buzz who's doing the recruiting. Getting JP to form bonds with the players is a big key as well. If JP likes the guys on the team and gets the impression that they love being at MU and playing for Buzz, it could mean a lot more than a coach simply trying to sell him on the program.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:13:49 AM by MerrittsMustache »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 10:51:55 AM »
It's not just Buzz who's doing the recruiting. Getting JP to form bonds with the players is a big key as well. If JP likes the guys on the team and gets the impression that they love being at MU and playing for Buzz, it could mean a lot more than a coach simply trying to sell him on the the program.

+1000 - great point.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
Entirely agree. If we can't land the guys in our backyard or even a couple solid Chicago area recruits that doesn't bode well. That way if Buzz continues his great recruiting and it begins to cover the area, recruits will immediately list MU.

UW-madison fans are likely saying the exact same thing

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 12:30:20 PM »

Buzz said something along these lines last night at the BBQ.  He said he doesn't want recruits to Marquette because of the Big East or ESPN or the McGuire Center.  He wants them to pick Marquette because of the knowledge that they're going to be better prepared for the rest of their life by going to school at Marquette.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »
UW-madison fans are likely saying the exact same thing

Maybe, but they're local (and overall) recruiting of late has been waning even as ours has been waxing (see Vander Blue as the most recent example). The common perception is that Bo started out with a big edge on Buzz with this kid and I believe that to be the case. Add UNC and Duke to the mix and we're viewed as a distant 4th for him. I think we're #2 behind UNC right now and would be very surprised to lose him to UW.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 12:56:15 PM »
Maybe, but they're local (and overall) recruiting of late has been waning even as ours has been waxing (see Vander Blue as the most recent example). The common perception is that Bo started out with a big edge on Buzz with this kid and I believe that to be the case. Add UNC and Duke to the mix and we're viewed as a distant 4th for him. I think we're #2 behind UNC right now and would be very surprised to lose him to UW.

We have won exactly one battle with Bo over an in-state prospect the last few years.  (Blue)  Generally we don't go head to head with him over many people.  We had no interest in Gasser...they had no interest in Buycks.  But I think it would be pre-mature to suggest we are overtaking UW in the local recruiting battles.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »

We have won exactly one battle with Bo over an in-state prospect the last few years.  (Blue)  Generally we don't go head to head with him over many people.  We had no interest in Gasser...they had no interest in Buycks.  But I think it would be pre-mature to suggest we are overtaking UW in the local recruiting battles.
JayMay?