[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting photo from Buzz's BBQ...  (Read 16630 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
Re: Interesting photo from Buzz's BBQ...
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »
Hardly anecdotes.....and believe what you want to believe but don't vilify me for telling you what people who live in NC think about the guy....

.....the man has zero involvement in the community or in the state.....it's like he's only there to coach and couldn't care less about the state or its people.

I've lived there, my son went to school there....and will probably move back when he finishes med school. K is an outsider except in the Duke basketball world.....sure he gets involved in Dickie V and ESPN's events to honor Valvano but locally he never uses his position for anything that would/could benefit the state or the community.....he can't gain national notoriety or acclaim for it so it doesn't happen.

On the other hand Roy and Dean are very visible giving time and effort to support numerous local and state charities and organizations....

.....watch what they do, not what they say or what others say about them.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »
Glad you speak for the entire state.  However, please exclude me from that all-inclusive trashing of someone I've also never met but have not heard bad things about.  I'll check with a few co-workers tomorrow, but I think they would like to not be generalized in the Coach K hatefest either.

Here's another particularly damning article:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_krzyzewski_0311mar11,0,7690879.story?page=1

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 12:15:35 AM »
I was catching up on videos from MU Athletics' YouTube account when I saw the video from Buzz's BBQ.

http://www.youtube.com/user/muathletics#p/u/0/vYNNkcCfn40

That was Mark Harris shooting the FT at :31, right?
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2010, 12:26:06 AM »
I'd take our 5 against their 5 any day of the week.

On a side note, Bo's recruiting has really started to slip.  There is a fallacy out there that Bo always won with guys that weren't talented, but that is simply not the case.

Year4 stars+Total Recruits
02      3      5
03      1      3
04      1      3
05      2     4
06      2     3
07      2     3
08      2     5
09      0     2
10      1     4
11      0     3
12      0     1

Over ther first 7 years, 50% of all players UW recruited were 4 stars or above (according to scout).  Thus far for the 09-12 classes, only 1 in 10 is a 4 star (Anderson, haha).  Now, we all know recruiting rankings aren't the end all-be all but this is pretty interesting to note.

Back on topic, I won't count Buzz out on getting JP until he makes his decision known.
[/table]

If you buy into the hype of recruiting stars, yes.  At the end of the day, Wisconsin-madison keeps winning and winning a lot, even without 4 and 5 star players.  That's ultimately what it's all about, IMO.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2010, 12:28:49 AM »

K is highly disliked in and around the RDU area (with the obvious exception being in Durham) and in NC in general. Both he and his wife (also with the mouth of a truck driver) have zero presence in the community...anything he does is calculated to make him look better and were it not for his pal Dickie V he'd have very few friends in the coaching fraternity.

How much of this is because he's at the "private, rich kid school" and not at the main public university in the state?

I don't know, I'm just asking.  Here in L.A., there is the USC thing due to the private/rich nonsense.  Same thing at Marquette.  It seemed that way to me when I was in Carolina regarding Duke \ UNC.

http://spectator.org/archives/2010/04/08/how-can-anyone-hate-coach-krz

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2010, 08:44:36 AM »
I was catching up on videos from MU Athletics' YouTube account when I saw the video from Buzz's BBQ.

http://www.youtube.com/user/muathletics#p/u/0/vYNNkcCfn40

That was Mark Harris shooting the FT at :31, right?

Yes..that was Mark Harris - with his hair Fro'ed out.  Mark was a good dude..we'd hoop together alot, and hang.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2010, 09:06:12 AM »
If you buy into the hype of recruiting stars, yes.  At the end of the day, Wisconsin-madison keeps winning and winning a lot, even without 4 and 5 star players.  That's ultimately what it's all about, IMO.

Actually I think the point is that through 2008 Wisconsin was very successful recruiting 4 star players (+ one 5 star). Their recruiting has fallen off since then and should start showing up in their record in the next year or two. If they're still an upper - echelon team in 2012 you'll be right. If they slip a bit the scouts will be.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2010, 10:08:04 AM »
How much of this is because he's at the "private, rich kid school" and not at the main public university in the state?

I don't know, I'm just asking.  Here in L.A., there is the USC thing due to the private/rich nonsense.  Same thing at Marquette.  It seemed that way to me when I was in Carolina regarding Duke \ UNC.
/quote]
Spend some time on the Duke campus, and you'll quickly see that the campus itself is divided.  I've never seen such self segregation as on the Duke campus.  I have a friend that is part of the Duke medical school, an individual who I admire greatly, and he has a hard time with much of what goes on at Duke and more of a hard time with Coach K.  In comparing Duke to other prominent private universities, Duke's issues seem to be much more noticable, so I'm not sure a USC and MU comparison makes sense.  That stigma certainly exists, but I think it may exist because of schools like Duke.

I've never viewed Bobby Knight or Coach K. as classy individuals, and I've always thought Smith and Williams were.  I've heard the good stuff about Coach K. as well, and he's far from the devil, just has a bit of Bobby Knight in him in my opinion.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »

As Lenny said, that point was the complete opposite of what I posted.  UW-Madison has been winning because they have had a lot of talented kids over the last decade.  It now appears that they aren't getting the same types of player to come in and it will be interesting to how that translates to the court.

Everyone knows that ranking recruits is an inexact science but there is generally a very, very, very high correlation between a team's record and the how the players were rated coming out of hs/juco. Cracked Sidewalks has had numerous posts to show this to be true.
Look at MU, most of our best players have been pretty highly rated. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2010, 12:25:38 PM »
As Lenny said, that point was the complete opposite of what I posted.  UW-Madison has been winning because they have had a lot of talented kids over the last decade.  It now appears that they aren't getting the same types of player to come in and it will be interesting to how that translates to the court.

Everyone knows that ranking recruits is an inexact science but there is generally a very, very, very high correlation between a team's record and the how the players were rated coming out of hs/juco. Cracked Sidewalks has had numerous posts to show this to be true.
Look at MU, most of our best players have been pretty highly rated. 

It will be interesting to see then, if UW-madison takes a tumble over the next few years.  I suspect the SUM OF THE PARTS argument resonates with me more than others.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
Krabbenhoft was a five star on rivals and ranked evenly with Blue:  http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Joe-Krabbenhoft-21381

Butch was top ten:  http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Brian-Butch-6251

Hughes was a 4 star:  http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/bviewplayer.asp?Player=75455

Bohannon was a four star:  http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jason-Bohannon-26535

Those guys all played together if I remember correctly.  Two five stars and two four stars are not bad to have out there.  I think this is the team MU beat at Madison too. 

Bo has had talent.  He has Luer still this year who was a four star and Nankivil who was a four star.  Players make great coaches, but Bo has had a good amount of talent.  It is enough to keep a team consistently in the top 25 too. 

Bo is a good coach, but he is not taking intramural frat boy teams to the NCAA tournament.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2010, 12:54:29 PM »
It will be interesting to see then, if UW-madison takes a tumble over the next few years.  I suspect the SUM OF THE PARTS argument resonates with me more than others.

I agree.  They'll still have quite a bit of talent next year (Leuer, Taylor, Nankovil) but it will be interesting to see the year after that.  In the past they have continually replaced departing talent with the next wave of guys.  However, right now it seems like the next wave of guys aren't quite as talented, in terms of recruiting rankings, as the guys they are replacing.  We shall see.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2010, 01:29:59 PM »

Yes they have been winning and winning a lot but UW's best success was when their roster was full of highly rated players.  We will see how good they are now when their roster has average talent and little to no 4 star talent but back in 2004-05 they made the Elite 8 when they had a roster full of highly rated players.  In 2006-07 they achieved their first #1 ranking in school history with a roster full of top 100 players in Landry, Hughes, Bohannan, Butch, Tucker, Krabbenhoft and Stiemsma (was considered top 10 his soph year, don't know final ranking, also I don't know if Kam Taylor was a top 100 recruit).  Either way that is some great talent that UW no longer has.  Recruiting stars do matter even to UW.