[Today at 08:35:27 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The 6th Man Fund  (Read 8665 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: The 6th Man Fund
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
We did, only problem was that in that case even though 99 of 100 saw the writing on the wall, it was the final decision of 1 that mattered.

Here we go, blaming the messenger once again.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 12:33:04 AM »
why not take away the donation element (ha I know right?) and just give students a point for every year they bought a season ticket as a student? They'd come out with 14 points. Again some sort of retribution should be given to the 2005 and on crowd.

PS heard friends that tweet about this were contacted about this via emails from MU athletics.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 08:00:36 AM »
why not take away the donation element (ha I know right?) and just give students a point for every year they bought a season ticket as a student? They'd come out with 14 points. Again some sort of retribution should be given to the 2005 and on crowd.

PS heard friends that tweet about this were contacted about this via emails from MU athletics.

Why not keep the donation element but give the students a point for every year they bought a season ticket as a student? I'm not at all opposed to rewarding students who get season tickets. In fact, I think it's a really good idea. Unfortunately, the plan that is/was laid out gives them WAY too much of a head-start. Like many season ticket holders, I would gladly pay $400 right now in order to get 16 more priority points.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 08:15:27 AM »
I don't see any problem with extending the regular season ticket holder point accumulation to students - that is....

2 points for each consecutive year after the 1995-96 season. Season ticket holders must maintain full season ticket holder status in order to maintain their points. If a season ticket holder drops their seats and then renews at a later date, the priority points will reset using the new start date.

So, IF a student were to buy season tickets for 4 consecutive years at Marquette, they could exit school with 18 points.  Also, if a student has enough cash to donate to the B&G fund, I don't see why they wouldn't get the "normal" points for that.

This doesn't seem hard, the rules are already in place, and it doesn't give an unfair advantage to students.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »
This doesn't seem hard, the rules are already in place, and it doesn't give an unfair advantage to students.

Other than the fact that recent alums get screwed because the opportunity wasn't available when they were in school.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 08:39:40 AM »
Other than the fact that recent alums get screwed because the opportunity wasn't available when they were in school.

True, but they do have the same opportunity to be at 18 points in 4 years, even higher with B&G donations - so I don't see a huge conflict.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »
True, but they do have the same opportunity to be at 18 points in 4 years, even higher with B&G donations - so I don't see a huge conflict.

This will only be my 2nd year of season tickets, counting my graduation points, I'll have how many points? 12?

the thing is I'm really happen with my season tickets and thats pretty much all I can afford at the moment.

If I start losing out to first year graduates in a few years because they got a bunch of extra points from a system that wasn't in place when I was a student and the only way to play catch up to them and get my seats back is to donate a lot to the B&G fund (that I currently cant afford doing), I'll just stop going.

LON

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »
Let the students have their points, except there is a condition:

Go to the freakin' games.  Half full student sections are embarrassing.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 11:04:49 AM »

Yeah, make them donate. And on top of that, they must attend every game. Jackasses.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »

They started some sort of "rewards" program for fanatics' attendance back in 2006 or so, but that only encourages attendance from the top 5%... they should be encouraging attendance from all fanatics.  If the 16 points were contingent upon 100% attendance, then maybe I could come to grips with being leapfrogged by some recent graduates in a few years.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 11:42:42 AM »
If the 16 points were contingent upon 100% attendance, then maybe I could come to grips with being leapfrogged by some recent graduates in a few years.

By "some" you probably mean about three.  100%?  The kid would have to be from Milwaukee and still pretty dedicated, else willing to drive or fly in four or five times during winter break to watch us play Presbyterian and with long-term plans to be staying in Milwaukee and getting season tickets after graduation.  That or give winter break tickets to a homeless guy and hope he uses them...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 11:57:33 AM »
Here we go, blaming the messenger once again.

Not blaming you....it was commentary on how the alumni certainly voiced their opinions loud and clear to the administration but it didn't matter a hoot how we felt, they were going to do what they were going to do.  Certainly not blaming you, sorry if it came across that way.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »
Not blaming you....it was commentary on how the alumni certainly voiced their opinions loud and clear to the administration but it didn't matter a hoot how we felt, they were going to do what they were going to do.  Certainly not blaming you, sorry if it came across that way.

My bad, it should have been in teal... "messenger" was not a reference to me or anyone on these boards.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
By "some" you probably mean about three.  100%?  The kid would have to be from Milwaukee and still pretty dedicated, else willing to drive or fly in four or five times during winter break to watch us play Presbyterian and with long-term plans to be staying in Milwaukee and getting season tickets after graduation.  That or give winter break tickets to a homeless guy and hope he uses them...

Perhaps I should elaborate... my thought being the maximum of 16 points contingent upon 100% (or something in that vicinity) and scaled from there.  For instance, if you donated enough for 16 points, but only attended half the games, you get half the points (or some other number between 0 and 16).

I wasn't implying that you either get 16 points for 100% attendance or nothing at all.  Again, that would encourage participation by a select few... my point was to provide an attendance incentive that everyone can buy into.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »
Perhaps I should elaborate... my thought being the maximum of 16 points contingent upon 100% (or something in that vicinity) and scaled from there.  For instance, if you donated enough for 16 points, but only attended half the games, you get half the points (or some other number between 0 and 16).

I wasn't implying that you either get 16 points for 100% attendance or nothing at all.  Again, that would encourage participation by a select few... my point was to provide an attendance incentive that everyone can buy into.

Makes sense.  I'd approve of such a plan.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »
This will only be my 2nd year of season tickets, counting my graduation points, I'll have how many points? 12?

the thing is I'm really happen with my season tickets and thats pretty much all I can afford at the moment.

If I start losing out to first year graduates in a few years because they got a bunch of extra points from a system that wasn't in place when I was a student and the only way to play catch up to them and get my seats back is to donate a lot to the B&G fund (that I currently cant afford doing), I'll just stop going.

If they got the regular season ticket holder plan, there's no way they'd leap-frog you unless they gave a huge donation (in which case they could leap-frog you anyway).  You're two points ahead of them now, and barring donations, you always will be.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »
Makes sense.  I'd approve of such a plan.

Can we apply that plan to regular season ticket holder too?  Then I'd REALLY be in favor of it.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 01:58:10 PM »
Can we apply that plan to regular season ticket holder too?  Then I'd REALLY be in favor of it.

+1000

At the last reseating we lost out long-time seats to someone (obvioulsy) with more points.  Those seats sat empty for every pre-conference game and about half of the Big East games.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »
If they got the regular season ticket holder plan, there's no way they'd leap-frog you unless they gave a huge donation (in which case they could leap-frog you anyway).  You're two points ahead of them now, and barring donations, you always will be.

I'm saying if this points for donations + degree 6th man was implemented.
However if there was some system that also factored in attendance, I'd be happy with that, but I think you'd have to make the points for alum season ticket holders infinite. I know some folk that are moving away but are still keeping a ticket because they don't want to lose points

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »
+1000

At the last reseating we lost out long-time seats to someone (obvioulsy) with more points.  Those seats sat empty for every pre-conference game and about half of the Big East games.

That's been a source of frustration for me as well.  The best seats I could get during last year's reseating in the lower bowl with the few PP I have are in the middle of Row W, X or Z in 204 or 205.  So I got tickets in the second row upstairs instead at half the price... right above a bank of 4 seats downstairs, halfway up in the corner, two off the aisle that became a running joke between me and my wife as the season went on.  I think we only saw them utilized for two games, Nova and ND.  I would have happily paid for those seats just to ensure a butt was in all four of them for at least 15 games.

If good seats were a birthright (as discussed previously), I might be more tolerant.  But isn't the purpose of the PP system to reward participation and/or contribution to Marquette University and Athletics, and if so, does writing a check but throwing your tickets away actually meet either one of those criteria?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2010, 02:33:30 PM »
That's been a source of frustration for me as well.  The best seats I could get during last year's reseating in the lower bowl with the few PP I have are in the middle of Row W, X or Z in 204 or 205.  So I got tickets in the second row upstairs instead at half the price... right above a bank of 4 seats downstairs, halfway up in the corner, two off the aisle that became a running joke between me and my wife as the season went on.  I think we only saw them utilized for two games, Nova and ND.  I would have happily paid for those seats just to ensure a butt was in all four of them for at least 15 games.

If good seats were a birthright (as discussed previously), I might be more tolerant.  But isn't the purpose of the PP system to reward participation and/or contribution to Marquette University and Athletics, and if so, does writing a check but throwing your tickets away actually meet either one of those criteria?

I had something similar happen with the 2 seats right next to mine 2 and 3 seasons ago. All of 3 seasons ago, seats went unused.  All of 2 seasons ago, seats went unused, until the last game of the season, when we arrived about 5 minutes before tipoff and there were people in the seats.  They most sat there quietly for most of the first half, and during halftime I let my curiosity get the best of me.

"I'm sorry, I have to ask.  These are my season tickets and I haven't seen anyone sitting there the last two years. How did you get those tickets?"

"Oh, these are our season tickets. We live in Sheboygan and just can't make the trip on a regular basis."

I was dumbfounded.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

reinko

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »
I had something similar happen with the 2 seats right next to mine 2 and 3 seasons ago. All of 3 seasons ago, seats went unused.  All of 2 seasons ago, seats went unused, until the last game of the season, when we arrived about 5 minutes before tipoff and there were people in the seats.  They most sat there quietly for most of the first half, and during halftime I let my curiosity get the best of me.

"I'm sorry, I have to ask.  These are my season tickets and I haven't seen anyone sitting there the last two years. How did you get those tickets?"

"Oh, these are our season tickets. We live in Sheboygan and just can't make the trip on a regular basis."

I was dumbfounded.

That's a big deal to leave Sheboygan to the "big" city.  Reminds me of this Onion article from a years back.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/rural-nebraskan-not-sure-he-could-handle-frantic-p,465/

feedback